Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2008, 02:24   #136
Senior - BHPian

Tata Beware Of Bajaj

Great news Guys.
The nano has not been launched as yet and already there is a competitor.

Yes its out.

Bajaj making a Rs. 1 Lakh car in colaboration with Renault-Nissan

A new company will be made with Bajaj holding 50% stake and Renault-Nissan 25-25% each.

The car would come out by Early 2011
The plant for the company is expected to be placed at Chakan maharashtra with an initial capacity of 4 Lakh cars.

Source: Zee Business 2:20 am 13th May,2008
Old 13th May 2008, 06:00   #137
BHPian

Confirmed! Bajaj to Roll Out Rs.1 Lakh Car

Here is the news:

Renault-Nissan head Carlos Ghosn and Bajaj's Rajiv Bajaj unfolded their joint venture plan on Monday, announcing a low-cost car at $2,500 (Rs 1 lakh) to be manufactured in India. The car is expected to hit the road early 2011, a little more than two years after Nano, which is scheduled to roll out in September-October.

Sources said the Bajaj-Renault-Nissan car would come in both petrol and diesel options. "Initially, it would come with a petrol version and diesel would follow," they said. However, apart from revealing the price tag, the two companies refused to give details regarding investments, engine capacity, and fuel efficiency.

Sources added that a three-way MoU (memorandum of understanding) could be signed by June with the companies now busy on finalising the technical and legal nitty gritties of future engagement.

In a statement issued on behalf of Bajaj and Ghosn, the companies said they they would form a joint-venture to develop, produce and market the low-cost car code-named 'ULC' (most probably Ultra Low Cost). The new JV will be 50% owned by Bajaj Auto, 25% by Renault and 25% by Nissan (a group company of Renault).

While sceptics had initially doubted the viability and potential of a low-cost car segment priced below $3,000, Ratan Tata went ahead with his dream project, which saw others also drawing plans. Ghosn, who has already tasted success in emerging markets with his 'no-frills' Logan, feels that a new low-price compact not only has potential in a big market like India but can also be pitched well in other similar markets abroad.
Bajaj-Renault-Nissan would manufacture the proposed car at Chakan, in Maharashtra, where Bajaj already has a plant. "Initial planned capacity will be 400,000 units per year. Sales will start in early 2011 in India, as a primary market, with growth potential in other emerging markets around the world," the companies said.

For more: Now, Bajaj set to roll out Rs 1 lakh car-India Business-Business-The Times of India
Old 13th May 2008, 07:40   #138
BHPian

Looks like by 2012 we will have a overcrowded 1lakh rupee carmarket

There will be cars from
1) Tata
2) Nissan-Renault-Bajaj(may be three different cars like the Toyta Aygo and club)
3) Hyundai
4) GM

Every body then will be able to afford cars but they will not be able to drive them as petrol prices would be skyrocketting by then. And our Infrastructure will appear to be in tatters.
Old 13th May 2008, 09:35   #139
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj Claims that the USP of Lite will be the fuel efficiency .
Lets see how it goes.
Old 12th November 2009, 06:31   #140
BHPian

The Bajaj renault JV seems to be finally going through. This cute looking car might just be the rival that Tata was hoping not to arrive too soon. Strange though; after having all the hard work done by Bajaj, the car will be sporting a Renault badge.
I believe they will be proving the engines.
One question remains in mind. Afterall if bajaj can design a car like this by itself, why can't it produce an auto rickshaw that looks like this.

(Photo courtesy: Autocar India)
Old 12th November 2009, 06:54   #141
BANNED

Location: Gudaibiya; BAHRAIN/ Vandiperiyar; KERALA/ Wuhan; CHINA

Pics: Bajaj's Small Car-tatananobringit_opt.jpg

pic was sourced from Autoblog — We Obsessively Cover The Auto Industry
Old 12th November 2009, 16:19   #142
Senior - BHPian

IMO, so soon all these small cars will run here and there (and everywhere) like autos and congest already overcrowded roads.!
God knows where do the big ones can get place to drive?
Thanks
Old 12th November 2009, 16:30   #143
BHPian

@Nairrk: Probably someone with a Maybach or a bentley or RR is feeling same about Ford producing Fiesta. Your ford fiesta too can run helter skelter on the roads compared to these very big cars, is it not? They would enjoy more free roads and faster speeds if it was not for this silly citys, fiestas and indigos right?? So, you being a responsible citizen should stop using your car and take public transport or buy a cycle isn't it?

Stop being so cynical. Its government duty to provide roads and other infrastructure. If they fail to do it, why blame only Nano or Lite for the congestions.
Old 12th November 2009, 16:43   #144
Senior - BHPian

meh... rather more cars on the roads than bikers - atleast you can see them!

The bajaj concept looks cute, should be a hit with the ladies
Old 12th November 2009, 16:51   #145
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The thread started as long back as Jan 2008 and the car is still a long way off. Competetion is good, but in this case the work seems to have started too late.
Old 12th November 2009, 16:59   #146
Senior - BHPian

I am not prepared to buy even a two wheeler from Bajaj, leave alone a car. The quality is iffy at best. Had a very bad experience with a KB-100 RTZ long back, and vowed never to return.

Last edited by Gansan : 12th November 2009 at 17:02.
Old 12th November 2009, 17:05   #147
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Bajaj KB-100's only claim (to fame) was it's effeciency it has come a long way since then in quality terms for it's Bikes, They offer the latest technology (sooner than the japs) in India at reasonable prices. Infact Bajaj today is out of the entry level market and focuses only on the premium / mid level bikes.

Let its history not be a cause for concern. They do try.
Old 12th November 2009, 17:21   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
@Nairrk: Probably someone with a Maybach or a bentley or RR is feeling same about Ford producing Fiesta. Your ford fiesta too can run helter skelter on the roads compared to these very big cars, is it not? They would enjoy more free roads and faster speeds if it was not for this silly citys, fiestas and indigos right?? So, you being a responsible citizen should stop using your car and take public transport or buy a cycle isn't it?

Stop being so cynical. Its government duty to provide roads and other infrastructure. If they fail to do it, why blame only Nano or Lite for the congestions.
+
I never named any car but said all small cars in general because small cars are more on the roads(because more people can afford) than big cars.

Yes, I already been using a scooter for city commuting and all other shopping needs. I take my car only for long drive or for some family get together.
Thanks
Old 12th November 2009, 18:26   #149
BHPian

In the process of closure of deal between Bajaj and Renault-Nissan, it seems Bajaj has lost out on using its name plate in the car.

Bajaj does the manufacturing part and Renault does the marketing.

I'm just searching for the news link where I read about it, but could not find till now. I think I have read that on The-Hindu.
Will post back with link if I find it.
Old 16th November 2009, 04:14   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
+
I never named any car but said all small cars in general because small cars are more on the roads(because more people can afford) than big cars.
I beg to disagree on this point. The road does not belong to anyone in particular. Be it big cars or small cars. You seem to be hinting that big cars to be given priority on the roads. On the point of more people able to afford the luxury of a cheap car, isn't that the core idea of the ultra cheap cars.
It is the government's (indirectly our's) job to assess the problem of congestion on roads and plan ahead with strategic and engineering solutions.
I believe it's a feudelistic mindset that makes us think that only rich people should own cars and entire roads be kept clear for them.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks