Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 18:39   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I think they screwed up the overall shape of the vehicle buy making the exterior ungainly and bulky especially the rear half. Just look at the size of the D-Pillar (behind the third row windo). It's so thick. I think this is the case to some extend with the Safari as well. The front view of the Safari looks really cool, but the back isn't that great.
Old 2nd March 2009, 19:02   #197
Senior - BHPian

Given the need for a 7 seater, am TDing one tomorrow anyhow. Any word on how its held up in the longer run, esp from owners ?
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:09   #198
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Any word on how its held up in the longer run, esp from owners ?
From all of Tata Motors products, the Sumo has been given the best (read very good) reliability ratings in our ownership reviews (far better than Safari, Indica etc.). Not surprising since its been around the longest, which has given Tata ample time to sort out any issues.

I don't think the Grande should be any different.
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:42   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow, Tata seemed to drop the ball with the later versions of the Sumo (old). The best version of the entire range/life is the GX TCIC (IDI) version. The trim on the later versions (with the DI turbo engine) are not as good.

The one improvement in the DI Turbo version is the torquier engine. But doesnt feel as good on the inside (dash, shape of seats, the seat frame, the utility box, .. )
Old 4th March 2009, 18:55   #200
BHPian

A friend of mine plans to get a Grande in the next few months and the news of the new Grande is keeping his plans on hold. From what we heard from Tata motors through an insider is that only the rear of the present Grande is set for a change and nothing on the engine front. Any concrete updates on this, anyone?

Also how is the resale value of Grande ? We aren't seeing much of Grande resale in chennai.
Old 4th March 2009, 19:24   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
From what we heard from Tata motors through an insider is that only the rear of the present Grande is set for a change and nothing on the engine front. Any concrete updates on this, anyone?

Also how is the resale value of Grande?
I do hope that they mount the spare tire on the rear door. It'd do wonders to the car's looks and transform it from a 'van' to an 'suv" in one-stroke. I am also waiting to check out the new Sumo Grande, especially the 9-seater version. My local dealer said he is expecting one early next week, but I am sure you will get it in Chennai before I see it in my town.

As for the resale, I don't think TATA has sold enough Grandes for them to show up in the used car market yet
Old 4th March 2009, 20:09   #202
Senior - BHPian

One of the reasons why the Grande hasn't done as well as it should have is because, the Victa is sold beside it, catering to the yellow plate market.
Old 4th March 2009, 22:00   #203
Senior - BHPian

I hope the 3.0 common rail engine seen in the Safari is brought back from its grave for the Grande.

Is the rear a hatch or a door? If its a hatch then putting a spare on it is out of the question.
Old 4th March 2009, 22:02   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I hope the 3.0 common rail engine seen in the Safari is brought back from its grave for the Grande.

Is the rear a hatch or a door? If its a hatch then putting a spare on it is out of the question.
AFAIK the present model of Grande doesn't have a door at the back and they are going to bring the new grande with a rear door .
Old 4th March 2009, 22:41   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I doubt they will put in the 3.0 DICOR since the cost to Tata for the 2.2 and 3.0 DICOR would be about the same and the 2.2 is more modern unit.

The Turbo 3.0 (407) on the other hand would be cheaper without the extra cost of the Common Rail System and ECU.
Old 5th March 2009, 09:11   #206
BHPian

But if looks would have been such a deciding factor, wouldnt the Xylo sell in lot less numbers than it currently is selling.
Old 5th March 2009, 09:29   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
AFAIK the present model of Grande doesn't have a door at the back and they are going to bring the new grande with a rear door .
The current Grande does have a proper door at the rear (not a hatch). I read here at TeamBHP that TATA is planning to redo the rear to improve its looks, and that is why I am thinking maybe they will put the spare on the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I doubt they will put in the 3.0 DICOR since the cost to Tata for the 2.2 and 3.0 DICOR would be about the same and the 2.2 is more modern unit.

The Turbo 3.0 (407) on the other hand would be cheaper without the extra cost of the Common Rail System and ECU.
I think TATA is planning to introduce the Grande to the Taxi market with the 7 & 9-seater versions. According to BOND, these could be coming with the 407 DI Turbo engine, while the current 8-seater versions would continue with the DICOR engine. We will find out soon enough.

BTW, there is an ad in the paper today saying discounts up to 75K on the Grande till March 20th. Gonna call the showroom and find-out the details.

Cheers.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:40   #208
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Any updates on the updated Sumo Grande? Also can someone please post some good snaps of the vehicle.
Old 23rd April 2009, 17:28   #209
BHPian

Guys , I saw this today near ISBT Delhi. I hate this vehicle otherwise but loved the modjob done on this thing which makes it look like a premium SUV/MUV.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP! New Tata Sumo Picture. EDIT : Now launched as Sumo Grande-clip_image001.jpg  

Old 23rd April 2009, 19:25   #210
BHPian

Wow ,that Sumo grande looks too good with that mods,wish someone from Tata motors notices that, do you have the pics of the front portion.

Most Viewed