Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2008, 11:54   #151
BHPian

Just noticed that this has a smaller turning radius of 5.25 mtr as compared with the Scorpio (5.4 mtr) and Safari (6 mts). With the 2.2 powerhouse, it'll be quite easy to drive in the city.

This really looks like a winner from Tata's.
Old 10th January 2008, 12:03   #152
Team-BHP Support

It would have looked even better with a two-tone paintjob, rather than the orange color.

While this is a definite improvement, somehow the look isnt complete. Thats my opinion. The rear looks like they ran out of ideas.

Scorpio sales are going to be affected for sure.
Old 10th January 2008, 12:54   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The rear looks like they ran out of ideas.
I agree with you to an extent Benny Boy but that seems to be the trend these days - look at the Fabia

But overall, there's no doubt that its gonna catch the eye, big timecheers:
Old 10th January 2008, 14:17   #154
BHPian

I don't know why - I somehow like the colour ...

Also the clean design lines are nice. Wish the bumpers were a little bigger though. The rear bumper hardly looks like it will protect the tail-gate in case of an accident.
Old 10th January 2008, 17:34   #155
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I totally agree with u dude! The 'sumo' tag in india is associated with a bare bones people mover, and that is something that would appeal to a private buyer .Since the car is so different, i feel tata should have given it a new name. many will have some confusion regarding sumo victa-grande-spacio etc etc. This one will be considered as just another variant and not an all new car, which could seriously impact its sales.
i also agree here...tatas should have launched it as a new car with a new name. Who wants to buy a Sumo?

I feel this is going to kill safari LX/Scorpio LX sales. But ppl will take to it only after 6-8 months once initial issues are sorted out. Tatas have that time to relook at safari positioning and add value differentiator to safari. I dont see too many ppl buying safari lx over grande top-end.
Old 10th January 2008, 20:44   #156
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why anyone will want to pay around 12 lakhs on road for the scorpio hawk when then can get an almost similarly kitted and equally spec(120 bhp) modern looking vehicle and far more comfortable for around 8.5 onroad.

I think Tata seems to have killed the Scorpio with one stroke> SUMO GRANDE.

Tata may take the Safari to another level via the Safari X2 few months later. And there will be no comparision between the Scorpio & Safari anymore.
The grande looks years ahead in styling and far more contemporary than the equivalent compitition.
Old 11th January 2008, 20:52   #157
BHPian

RE: Sumo Grande

Looks good. infact this seems to be the hottest launch amongst the vehicles on display in Autoexpo. (anything "grande" and it has to look good )
The orange suits it. Design reminds me of landrovers. I hope they get the suspension right, this would be a great buy. I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for a decent large body diesel.
Old 12th January 2008, 03:14   #158
Senior - BHPian

Will there be a 4x4 version of this?
Old 12th January 2008, 10:32   #159
Senior - BHPian

Well, nothing by way of pretty lines or masculine looks, but very very functional, and a not-downmarket feel to it itself may prove enough for potential buyers, especially at the prices on offer.
Old 18th January 2008, 17:04   #160
BHPian

I like the fact that the wheel is concealed in the floor of the car and not at the back like an eye sore.
Old 19th January 2008, 20:06   #161
Senior - BHPian

On the guess , i expect that the third row seats will be more comfortable in the SumoGrande than in Scorpio or Safari..May be comfortable as the Innova..
Old 20th January 2008, 13:41   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnavamshi24 View Post
wholly cow it looks so damn sophisticated and stylish ..
I don't find typos funny normally....but just could not resist this one. no offence mate

jokes apart...

about that large pic posted a couple of pages back....i think its received some generous yet subtle photoshopping. look at the shut lines and the area line around where the front bumper meets the body, or for that matter even the bonnet line. that must be a microscopic fit. no way do I think we are going to see those kind of clearances on the actual vehicles.

in fact, check out the video on youtube.

you can see the actual clearances.

Last edited by hell_rider : 20th January 2008 at 13:55.
Old 20th January 2008, 15:03   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalysm76 View Post
I like the fact that the wheel is concealed in the floor of the car and not at the back like an eye sore.
Not easy on the rear door pillar having a spare tyre hanging off it. With our bumpy roads the stresses put on the door pillar are huge. So a good decision from the TATA designers to stick it in the floor (like on the Scorpio).
Old 21st January 2008, 15:11   #164
tez
BHPian

Looks SUVish IMO. any idea guys whether a 5 seater version will be available in this. For guys who do not offroad, would grande be better than safari?
Old 21st January 2008, 15:21   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post

about that large pic posted a couple of pages back....i think its received some generous yet subtle photoshopping.
ImageShack - Hosting :: sumograndepp8.jpg

That pic looks like a CGI (Computer Generated Image) to me. No question of photo shopping that !!

Last edited by spadival : 21st January 2008 at 15:34.

Most Viewed