Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2008, 10:58   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
That's exactly my point. If you have so much power (money and intellectual) why not provide the best of all worlds to fellow Indians? Why we have to crave for the Hondas, Toyotas, Mercs, BMWs and Audis?
I think you should read srh's post once again to understand why Tatas and Mahindras aren't there yet.
Old 29th February 2008, 14:43   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I think you should read srh's post once again to understand why Tatas and Mahindras aren't there yet.
I have read that. That is partially the reason but not an absolute one.
Anyway this is just a matter of opinion.
Old 1st March 2008, 11:55   #198
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Value for money.

Honda felt the heat in the Honda City category where SX4 sprang a surprise.

In India, if you ain't about value for money, good luck.
The CRV 2.0 is priced on par with the Captiva. I still think that the Captiva will hardly make a dent on the CRV sales.

WRT to the NHC, yes, it did feel the heat. But it bounced back with a record for Jan 2008.
Old 1st March 2008, 12:02   #199
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any ETA on the 4WD Captiva?
Old 1st March 2008, 22:30   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The CRV 2.0 is priced on par with the Captiva. I still think that the Captiva will hardly make a dent on the CRV sales.

WRT to the NHC, yes, it did feel the heat. But it bounced back with a record for Jan 2008.
Diesel is big thing in India. Pre-Bookings of Captivas at GM dealers have proved a point and they are pretty happy about that.

Couple of my friends who already own CRV feel proud of that vehicle but even they feel it's time to place [b]Diesel[b] and Practibility ahead of finesse. Many of them are waiting for 4 X 4 Santa Fe (Diesel Marvel) which will be better than CRV. It's better than Captiva IMO as per What Car UK. In fact, Santa Fe was rated over both CRV and Captiva.

Ultimately a savings of Rs 15 every 10 Km travelled will make a difference. All said, Honda is not going to have an easy time in this segment.

Also at 18 lac OTR, CRV 2.0 is not at all value for money. Apart from class interiors, excellent drivability and superb ride quality it has nothing. Equipment levels are horrible for it's price and the engine is just way too underpowered and torque is below par. Also being on petrol engine doesn't help too much on economy front. Last but not least, being a 5 seater does not help the matters.
Old 3rd March 2008, 00:22   #201
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Diesel is big thing in India. Pre-Bookings of Captivas at GM dealers have proved a point and they are pretty happy about that.
Diesels are certainly attractive in India. What I am questioning is how much it affects the segment we speak about, and whether a diesel engine is enough of a carrot to drive potentials away from the superb Hondas.

Case in point : The Captiva isn't the first diesel alternative to the CRV. The Tucson, Endeavour, X-Trail and old Pajero have been around since like....forever. How much have they impacted the success of the CRV, despite the CRV being a CBU and thus having an inflated price tag?

I look forward to gauging the Captiva's sales numbers. Not the initial spurt, mind you, but over a 6 - 18 month duration.
Old 4th March 2008, 21:29   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Diesels are certainly attractive in India. What I am questioning is how much it affects the segment we speak about, and whether a diesel engine is enough of a carrot to drive potentials away from the superb Hondas.

Case in point : The Captiva isn't the first diesel alternative to the CRV. The Tucson, Endeavour, X-Trail and old Pajero have been around since like....forever. How much have they impacted the success of the CRV, despite the CRV being a CBU and thus having an inflated price tag?

I look forward to gauging the Captiva's sales numbers. Not the initial spurt, mind you, but over a 6 - 18 month duration.
You are right here. The ones you have mentioned were all technologically behind CRV. And to be very frank, now of those companies were serious in that very segment.

Nissan and Mitsubishi are as speculative as ever and have never taken India that seriously as Honda did.

Having said that Honda had no real competition till yet. Now that few gems are coming; Outlander (priced lower than CRV), Santa Fe and Tiguan; Honda will have it's task cut out in this segment. Tiguan will be something special since it will be offering both versions (Petrol and Diesel)
Old 5th March 2008, 14:40   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Guys, any ETA on the 4WD Captiva?
Its coming around 2008 End. It will be fully loaded model with 4WD, Auto DSG, Traction Control and Sunroof. Also there will be more color options. That will be a very good buy IMO.
Old 5th March 2008, 15:50   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That will be a very good buy IMO.
And a very over-priced one as well IMHO
Old 5th March 2008, 16:12   #205
Team-BHP Support

saw a captiva today and man it really dosent look very big.
Old 5th March 2008, 17:55   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
And a very over-priced one as well IMHO
How do you define over priced one?
Keep in mind these CBU's attract massive customs duty which Indian counterparts get away with.
Old 5th March 2008, 18:30   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do you define over priced one?
Keep in mind these CBU's attract massive customs duty which Indian counterparts get away with.
I think the current one would have been attractive at its price if it came with the AWD; if they are going to add on another 2-4 lacs for AWD, Auto box, TC & Sunroof, I would call it overpriced.

I think the 2.4 CRV is overpriced & the Captiva with AWD & other bells & whistles would probably be priced higher.

Please look at it in the light of what price levels the Captiva was earlier expected at & what they have launched it at now. It was all along contemplated to be a CBU. I don't think that the CBU is what has determined its pricing - it is "opportunity" which the Company cannot resist
Old 5th March 2008, 21:02   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I think the current one would have been attractive at its price if it came with the AWD; if they are going to add on another 2-4 lacs for AWD, Auto box, TC & Sunroof, I would call it overpriced.

I think the 2.4 CRV is overpriced & the Captiva with AWD & other bells & whistles would probably be priced higher.

Please look at it in the light of what price levels the Captiva was earlier expected at & what they have launched it at now. It was all along contemplated to be a CBU. I don't think that the CBU is what has determined its pricing - it is "opportunity" which the Company cannot resist
If for 1 year, those duties (in tune of 120% of CIF value) are abolished, we would be driving these CRV's and Captivas for a mere 8-9 lacs. So in my book, Safari (given just everything...) is overpriced for its price.

I also agree with you it's an opportunity but it's strictly in the case of CKD's or [i]Manutactured in India[/b] version and not in the case of CBU.

What these cars are offering at export price, is just out of this world.
Old 6th March 2008, 09:31   #209
Senior - BHPian

You're kidding, right

Not sure which Cloud you are on now mate but CRV & Captiva at 9 lacs if Customs Duty was abolished?

So essentially, they would sell at prices lower than the City ZX Vtec & the Civic?

Let's stick to logic & reasoning & not get carried away completely, shall we? I for one would be happy to see them come down to even Grand Vitara levels. Is that likely even if duites are abolished? I don't think so.

And where the hell did the Safari suddenly come into the picture I wonder?

Last edited by suman : 6th March 2008 at 09:39.
Old 6th March 2008, 11:33   #210
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If for 1 year, those duties (in tune of 120% of CIF value) are abolished, we would be driving these CRV's and Captivas for a mere 8-9 lacs.
Wishful thinking. The duties will never be abolished, else why would any manufacturer have a local setup?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks