Team-BHP - 8th Auto Expo 2008 (Share your experience)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   8th Auto Expo 2008 (Share your experience) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/34119-8th-auto-expo-2008-share-your-experience.html)

My new year can’t get any better than it already has as today I managed to get entry into the first day of the Auto Expo here in Delhi. I’ve been in this freezing city for the past two days and all dinner conversations have been about the Auto Expo.

The first launch that I caught [10:30 am] – TATA Sumo Grande – was kind of significant for me as my interest lies heavily in the utility vehicles segment. Unfortunately there weren’t too many on display today, unless I just couldn’t find all of them in that vast desert of a venue. But coming back to the Sumo Grande, I have to say that it’s a very impressive effort from TATA Motors. I missed the pre-launch hungama as that was for ‘press aadmi’s’ only, but drama is not my cup of tea anyway.

First impressions – it reminded me of the Scorpio from a side angle, but that’s not such a bad thing as it’s a welcome change from the bread box looking Sumo Victa. It’s a good thing that the makers have finally paid some attention to styling and looks. The interior is very comfortable with beige interiors and a height adjustable driver’s seat. It’s also got a 2.2 DICOR engine that claims to give 16 kpl. Well that’s still left to be seen, but I will agree that the Grande is loaded with features.

Things I could take note of:

*Dual AC with separate louvers for the second and third row seats.
*Tilt adjustable steering
*Height adjustable driver’s seat
*Electric ports for both front and rear passengers
*Puddle lamps
*Comfortable 5-speed gear shift
*Speakers on all 4 doors *Alpine entry-level CD/MP3 player with 6 speakers and USB port
*Large clear lens headlamps and a cutaway air dam in the front.

Not bad, I thought...

The rear is very bus-like though. But, at least it’s got the spare wheel under the floor, which makes it a tad neater. It’s got the same sporty alloys as the Safari.
I know TATA Motors is in the spotlight for its One-Lakh so called ‘miracle’ car - I think its been named 'Nano" now, but honestly, my expectations aren’t too high about it. But with the Grande, I had no clue about its launch, which is supposed to happen sometime in Feb. I like the looks of it. The styling has definitely improved, the colours are more attractive and so is the price.

According to the Tata Grande presenter at the Expo '08 the Price is as follows:

Delhi Ex-Showroom is Rs 6.55 Lakh for the Sumo Grande LX [Base model] and Rs 7.49 Lakh for the Sumo Grande GX [top end].

I've been looking forward to the new Sumo launch and luckily I got a see it at the expo.... Frankly it looks like a tempting buy.

>> AK

Nice Review

Will Go Tomorrow and Day After!

Please use the other thread - Cars on show at Auto Expo for this.

This is a parallel thread and not required in my opinion.

Superavi

@katalysm76 nice rewiews and all i can say your lucky man to get to the 1st day 1st show man... cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by superavi (Post 684679)
Please use the other thread - Cars on show at Auto Expo for this.

This is a parallel thread and not required in my opinion.

Superavi

Well, that thread mainly pertains to new cars launched, their features, etc. while this one seems to address your 'experience' which is more than just cars. Something like we can post something about Accessories, garage equipment and some generic factors like facilities at the show and overall experience etc. One thread I will follow to know how things are looking upto at the show. My vote - Keep this thread alive and vibrant! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverickzCar (Post 685350)
Well, that thread mainly pertains to new cars launched, their features, etc. while this one seems to address your 'experience' which is more than just cars. Something like we can post something about Accessories, garage equipment and some generic factors like facilities at the show and overall experience etc. One thread I will follow to know how things are looking upto at the show. My vote - Keep this thread alive and vibrant! :)

Thanks maverickCar, agree: . In Fact this is the 9th Auto Expo in India, it is also one of the biggest Auto exhibition in Asia. I was lucky enough to be there on the first day and therefor was able to see a few good car launches.
For instance I saw the Fiat Linea launch. They put up a great show and the models posing next to the cars were also very interesting, but I won’t write about them, I’ll just include pictures! Up on display was the Linea, the Punto, the 500, the Palio and the gorgeous looking Fiat Bravo. But my favourite was the Fiat 500.

The Linea front reminds me of the DB9 – the headlamps and nose. Trust the Italians to get their designs spot on!

Rumour has it that this beauty is likely to be launched by March sometime.

Hi
Why don't you all create picture section of 8th Auto Expo 2008!

Yes one picture section for all Auto-Expo Pics. Would be great for us poor souls like me, who wish they had been in India during these 3 days.

The New Indian Express

"Yamaha plans to launch Jazz by the end of next year" - M Takedagawa, President, Honda SIEL India

NIGHTMARE. Thats all I can say. I have a business pass, but could not find time to go during business hours.
So me and wife decided to battle the flu and fever, pop in combiflam and just go.
Could only see Honda and Hyundai section.
Saw some BMW too.
The rush grew so much that we could not go towards skoda.
Just ran out of the hall, and then out of pragati madan.
There was a stampede and a few poor security guards had to run out of way.
Planning to go sunday? Don't. I literally had to punch people to get out.
Now planning to go on some weekday during office hours and savor the expo.
Ate a 70rs pizza which was horrible.
And the dust.
I used to think the Nano is good thing, mobility for the common man. But whew, if this is what roads are going to be like after the nano I shudder at the thought.
We could not go to see the nano. Infact we could not enter the pavilion as we did not want to become part of the stampede.
I am sorry if anyone feels offended by this, I have not seen so many perverts at one place, ever

Half the time I had to have my arms around my wife, because half the people wanted to try to touch and push
I pity the groups of girls who had come without boyfriends/husbands/families.
Even the girls at the stalls were not being spared.
In the whole rush and melee I saw so many people trying to go close and accidentally fall on the counter.
Then there were scores of people trying to take camera's as low to ground and possible just to get an upskirt shot.
As for the organizers, I guess they wanted as much money as possible, so there was no limit to entry of people in the expo.
If there is fire on the 2 public days, there is so much crowd inside that nobody will be able to escape.
I did not see a single fire extinguisher, within easy reach, and since there is so much crowd, that you cannot even run away.
I think the organizers need to rethink, and plan things better.

Hopefully some weekday is better, and we will be able to enjoy the expo! Today I am thankful we could get out intact.

Tsk, that was a disgusting experience, it was indeed badly organized.

Is there any Entry Fee for the general public?
OR All can join in for free?

Quote:

Originally Posted by finneyp (Post 686640)
Tsk, that was a disgusting experience, it was indeed badly organized.

Is there any Entry Fee for the general public?
OR All can join in for free?

There is a hundred rupee fee. But having money does not mean no perversion.
Most of these people trying these upskirt shots had expensive mobiles.
Instead of ticket price, they should limit the number of people inside. But the aim was to sell as many tickets as possible,.

The most thing I hate about such public shows is the crowd who always try to get close to ladies... I was wondering how so much public can afford it?? They should have increased the fee to keep eye on the type of public they entertain...

Quote:

Originally Posted by neoonwheels (Post 686645)
The most thing I hate about such public shows is the crowd who always try to get close to ladies... I was wondering how so much public can afford it?? They should have increased the fee to keep eye on the type of public they entertain...

Somebody who can afford a 20K sony ericsson video phone can definitely afford an expensive ticket.
The perverts were not from a lower economy bracket. They had good clothes on, had nice mobiles.
Its just that in Delhi, when a mob gets close, be it in Chandni chowk, be it in Trade fair or Auto expo, a sense of fearlessness comes in them.
These people get the attitude, that since its a mob, nobody can blame them.
Take such people to a nightclub where there are active bouncers, they wont even look at scantily clad women, but take them to a busy market, and they become animals.
These are the same people who go to places like elevate, Ghungru's and sip their drinks like "gentlemen".

Upping the ticket price will partially take care of problem, maybe. It will reduce the mob atleast, but the correct way is to limit ticket sale by day.

Oh My God, I somehow managed to come out of hell No 11, Yes HELL, where Tata Nano /Linea Lady are displayed.
I Don't know why people are so crazy to enter that they cannot make queues, I am sure most of the people are from good familes and litterate society.
I went there with my family( Wife & 3 yrs old Son) and I was in no mood of entering but had to go inside as my son wanted to see Nano( He is just as crazy for cars as I am).

How did I reach Pragati Maidan from Gurgaon.
That was the only good thing, I just drove down to Dwaraka 9 sec and took a metro to Pragati Maidan.

People who are planning to go tomorrow, do take care of your purses, Watches, Mobiles, Your wifes, Yours husbands etc..

I saw people who lost all of these :)