Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2008, 00:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Seat Belts in the old cars

Hi Bhpians,
actually have a very small question, on my last trip to Ahmedabad. i realised that you dont need to have the seats belts if the car is beyon a specific age... i am not sure what rule is that but i am planning to buy a old suzuki 800 and i really dont want to have the seat belts... just wanted to know that if we have it listed some where in the legislation and if it is also possible in Delhi and Punjab. please help me out with this one so that i can start looking for the WEE RUNNER...

@ Mods: was not able to find the proper fourm so please move this in to the right place thanks a ton
Old 16th January 2008, 01:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

i really expected some replies here...
Old 16th January 2008, 02:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

desideep,no offense meant..
In the 1st place, why wouldn't you want to have seatbelts in the car? Forget about legislation, its function is to save lives and 99% of BHPians swear by it.
Even if you intend using the car for short distance travel,its recommended to have seatbelts in the car. If the car you are looking at didn't come with factory fitted seatbelts,I'd suggest that you get them done at a reliable garage/service centre.
Old 16th January 2008, 03:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
desideep,no offense meant..
In the 1st place, why wouldn't you want to have seatbelts in the car? Forget about legislation, its function is to save lives and 99% of BHPians swear by it.
Even if you intend using the car for short distance travel,its recommended to have seatbelts in the car. If the car you are looking at didn't come with factory fitted seatbelts,I'd suggest that you get them done at a reliable garage/service centre.
There is no argument about the effectiveness of a seatbelt, however, when we take into account that to be really effective you need pre-tensioners the belt locking mechanism (under rapid deceleration). Moreover you also need a good latching point. All this gets really troublesome or in some cases impossible to install in older cars.

His question is that if he has or is willing to buy an old car, will he need to retrofit the Seatbelts. The cut-off is 1994 beyond which all newer cars had to conform to the seatbelt provision rule. 1994 earlier cars its recommended to retrofit, but not mandated.

Cops are aware of this.

Last edited by 1100D : 16th January 2008 at 03:35.
Old 16th January 2008, 04:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

I did understand what his question was. It just seemed like the main focus was on the seatbelts. None-the-less,if desideep does like a car that doesn't come with seatbelts,its entirely his choice to go with or without installing proper seatbelts in the car.

Just curious..how many people actually get seatbelts fixed in a car thats more than 14 years old (i.e, made before 1994 and without seatbelts) ? Isn't it quite a pain to get these installed in older cars?
Old 16th January 2008, 07:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just curious..how many people actually get seatbelts fixed in a car thats more than 14 years old (i.e, made before 1994 and without seatbelts) ? Isn't it quite a pain to get these installed in older cars?
I have a friend of mine that has a 1989 Maruti 800 and there is a provision for fitting the seat belts on the inside of the B pillar, which is covered by a rubber plug. I am not sure about other old cars but in my friend's case, it was a direct fit with no pain at all.
Old 16th January 2008, 10:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
i am planning to buy a old suzuki 800 and i really dont want to have the seat belts..

This statement is pretty misleading. Sounds as if you want to avoid having a seatbelt for whatever reason.
Old 16th January 2008, 10:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I have a friend of mine that has a 1989 Maruti 800 and there is a provision for fitting the seat belts on the inside of the B pillar, which is covered by a rubber plug. I am not sure about other old cars but in my friend's case, it was a direct fit with no pain at all.
even the older japanese type m800 have provision for seat belt

but how many cops are aware of this rule??
Old 16th January 2008, 12:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Whatever said and done, seat belts are a must for modern day driving. My adivice is get it retrofitted. It will be safe for you and your family. .
Old 16th January 2008, 15:18   #10
BHPian

seat belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Whatever said and done, seat belts are a must for modern day driving. My adivice is get it retrofitted. It will be safe for you and your family. .
I do agree with u my friend, a seat belt is a must in the car..
>>AK
Old 16th January 2008, 15:32   #11
BANNED

If your car has provision then you should be able to get them in some accessory shop. Otherwise the B pillar and floor pan are likely to be weak and unable to support a seat belt - so forget it. It will be only cosmetic.
Old 16th January 2008, 15:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I had seatbelts retrofitted (the provision was already there) in my old 86 Maruti 800 when i bought it. I was not earning then but still paid from my own pocket to fit the belts.

Last edited by Sankar : 16th January 2008 at 15:58.
Old 16th January 2008, 16:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

In Punjab, you need to have seatbelts, unless you know politicians. If you do not have seat belts and you are driving, and you do not know politicians, you will be challaned, irrespective of the fact whether your car was made in 1908 or 2008.
Ditto for Chandigarh.
Old 16th January 2008, 16:27   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In Punjab, you need to have seatbelts, unless you know politicians. If you do not have seat belts and you are driving, and you do not know politicians, you will be challaned, irrespective of the fact whether your car was made in 1908 or 2008.
Ditto for Chandigarh.
A stupid way to work. In any case I have found that in Punjab it is considered unmasculine to actually buckle up. You just drape the belts across your shoulders!
Old 16th January 2008, 16:33   #15
BHPian

Simple Advice : Don't even bother to look at a car which doesn't have seat belts or a provision for same.

Getting one even then is literally the first step towards death if you are to travel much esp. on highways.
TrueDreamer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks