Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2008, 09:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Somewhere in May- June for sale by Diwali. Most probably assembled by Skoda initially. Tiguan will need to be assembled here to be viable IMHO.
I wonder why VW is getting kits in instead of producing it in wholly in India. Doesnt make sence. Also what about A S S, will you be able to get your VW serviced at a Skoda sercive centre?
Old 15th January 2008, 09:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
To be honest I think this whole confusion is due to the article. The Jetta and the Laura cost roughly the same in markets worldwide and I guess thats whats going to be happen in India too. The Jetta is usually in the Civic segment which the Laura is now pretty much in too.
Yup - i noticed that - i have not read the article. I was checking prices of the Jetta priced about 11K Pound sterling, and the Laura (Octavia) priced in the same range.

What you say about the introduction and injection of features to increase the perceived value is true.
Old 15th January 2008, 09:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Wishful thinking but can't VW give us the golf as it is. To me Golf is the most appealing VW product worldwide.
Old 15th January 2008, 09:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Wishful thinking but can't VW give us the golf as it is. To me Golf is the most appealing VW product worldwide.

The Golf definatly has tonnes of appeal and Id prefer it to the Jetta.

The added boot on the current generation Jetta is a little too NHC/Indigoish. The previous generation Jetta looked a lot better. Like I said before I think the Laura looks better than the Jetta.
Old 15th January 2008, 12:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

140 for India to 170 bhp abroad. Perfect Example of Bad Fuel Quality

(and you can say biasness also)
Old 15th January 2008, 13:06   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw isnt the Laura more expensive than the outgoing Octavia in other markets too?
Very slightly, not as much as its made to be in India.

VW will not launch the Golf here, since expensive hatch backs are liked by very very few people. They should launch the Polo though, but i guess they plan to launch the Up!
Old 15th January 2008, 13:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Very slightly, not as much as its made to be in India.
I mean for similarly equipped models.
Old 15th January 2008, 15:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

The VW dealer told me the jetta would be priced 16-17 on road in bangalore when I went for the Passat TD. Its supposed to come with a 2L petrol engine.
Old 15th January 2008, 15:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

Forget that Skoda is going to drop prices of Laura.
Expect VW model to be priced above similar models of Skoda.

A 2ltr Jetta would be over 20Lacs on road in Blr.

Like Skoda, VW will also happily live with obscene prices and minuscule volumes.
As usual in few people will run after their diesel mills, petrol ones will face rough ride.

Last edited by ST7677 : 15th January 2008 at 15:58.
Old 15th January 2008, 19:29   #40
BHPian

RE: jetta

This week's India Today has Jetta in the 9 - 11 Lac price range with a 2.0L Petrol and a 2.0 Diesel and goes on to say that the car will compete with Civic etc. If thats true then Jetta is great purchase choice.
Old 15th January 2008, 21:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
This week's India Today has Jetta in the 9 - 11 Lac price range with a 2.0L Petrol and a 2.0 Diesel and goes on to say that the car will compete with Civic etc. If thats true then Jetta is great purchase choice.
I think this is a ploy by VW to postpone the car buying decisions for some potential Civic customers, nothing else.
Old 15th January 2008, 23:22   #42
BHPian

A lot of automotive reporting by mainstream media is kite as we still lack people with deep enough knowledge to comment on automobiles no wonder we are saying different versions of what Jetta should be
Old 16th January 2008, 18:29   #43

I drive a Jetta 2.0 TDI sport and its 140 bhp and much better interior than golf and quite punchy motor with good mileage.

The price for 2.0TDI sport is around £19000 and i guess this car will be priced around 18 lakh mark in India, unless the bring really run down versions.

cheers
Old 16th January 2008, 21:55   #44
BHPian

I have heard good about this car from people here in the US. Jetta is a well accepted car in the US for mid size segment.

In the US 2.5L 170HB Jetta is priced approximately $17000 (Volkswagen Cars | New 2007 & 2008 VW Car Models — Yahoo! Autos. The Indian version is expected to be 2L and should be priced slightly above corolla and Civic I think. Could be in the 14-15Lakhs bracket
Old 18th January 2008, 07:30   #45
BHPian

Interview with Joerg Mueller, president, Volkswagen Group (India)

?We are of the opinion we are right on time for the India party? - livemint

New Delhi: Europe’s biggest car maker Volkswagen AG wa-sn’t exactly part of the first great rush of automobile companies that entered India in the 1990s.
It moved in at the start of this decade and critics say it has come too late, done too little, and that while it may be the largest car maker in Europe, gaining that status in India will be almost impossible. Joerg Mueller, president, Volkswagen Group (India), took some time out during the Auto Exposition at New Delhi to explain the company’s strategy for India. Edited excerpts:
What is the rationale behind your India strategy of coming in with expensive models first? Where is the company headed here?
We have a top-down strategy, which means that we start with selling high-end cars and then come down the pyramid at lower levels to (eventually) cover all the segments. Hence, we started with the Passat launched last September.
Our next model is the Jetta to be (positioned) below the Passat. And we are preparing our plant for the next generation Polo, to be made at Chakan (near Pune in Maharashtra) by 2010.
We just don’t want to sell cars here, but also make them here and be part of the industry and society in India. This means we will invest, and we are making investments for the small car, which is a big segment in India.
Is your top-down approach a global strategy you have used elsewhere? Where else have you gone in with such a strategy?
It could be a global strategy, depending on brand awareness and standing of Volkswagen in a particular market.
In India, it is very important because people (have been) associated with the brand since the time of the Beetle. Then we were not in the market for many years, and now we are here again.
Driving together: Volkswagen Group (India) president Joerg Mueller says the firm not just wants to sell cars here, but also make them and be part of the industry and society. It is also investing in the small car segment. (Ramesh Pathania/ Mint)
Driving together: Volkswagen Group (India) president Joerg Mueller says the firm not just wants to sell cars here, but also make them and be part of the industry and society. It is also investing in the small car segment. (Ramesh Pathania/ Mint)
It means that people in India and potential customers don’t know exactly what Volkswagen stands for.
Therefore, it is important now to build up the brand, to make it famous again and to show what Volkswagen stands for in terms of our values. And then come step by step into the market. China is an example where we began with the Santana and then moved down with the Passat.
One criticism against Volkswagen is that it has come very late to the India party.
We are not late because Skoda (part of Volkswagen) has been here since 2001.
So as a group, we are not newcomers here. Volkswagen came in September (with the launch of the Passat), and we are of the opinion that we are right on time.
The Polo is only being launched in 2010, by which time the small car market is going to be very crowded. Do you think Volkswagen will be competitive then?
What is important for us is that we want to bring a new car to India.
Therefore, we are taking our time and preparing our entry into the market carefully. This means creating brand awareness is important and we are taking time for this.
In the meantime, we are developing our car.
As volumes increase here, how are you strengthening your dealer network?
We currently have three dealers in Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore. We will add another 10 dealers by this year’s end. We want to have more dealers especially in Delhi, but also want to go to Punjab, Pune, Hyderabad and Chennai.
We want to first target the big metros. We want to expand carefully because providing quality service is also very important to us.
Will there be dealers who will sell all three brands (Skoda, Audi and Volkswagen, all part of the group) in the same showroom?
Our strategy for each brand is that it must have its own face to the customer. If, for example, an Audi dealer says he also wants to sell Volkswagen cars, that is possible. But he won’t sell (the two brands) from the same showroom.
Both Jetta and the Skoda Fabia are being made at Skoda Auto India Ltd’s plant in Aurangabad. As you look ahead, do you think all of Skoda’s production will move to your new plant in Chakan? Doesn’t it make sense for the production of Audi cars, which will sell lower volumes, to remain in Aurangabad? What will be the production strategy for the Volkswagen Group?
The group’s production strategy is based on synergies. This is very important. And this is a big chance we have, and we are using this chance, to utilize the plant as a group plant.
Our decision will depend on the volumes, and the volumes will decide our (future) investment.
It means that high volume cars will be made at Chakan, which will be a full scale operation from the paint shop to the assembly, while lower volume models will be assembled at Aurangabad.

Most Viewed