Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2008, 00:30   #91
BHPian

RE: tiguan

tiguan is going to be priced around 24 lacs.

may be it has diamond studded alloys
Old 11th June 2008, 18:17   #92
BHPian

I get to see only the price range been discussed on Jetta so far. Any light on the performance(likely) of this Car and its tech features.
Old 11th June 2008, 19:49   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreenivas View Post
I get to see only the price range been discussed on Jetta so far. Any light on the performance(likely) of this Car and its tech features.
From what I read in AutoCar VW is launching 1.6 Petrol and 1.9 Diesel. The Diesel will have the same platform as the Laura (A5). Engines are the same, external dimensions (L, B and W and Wheel base) are more or less the same (give or take 5 mm). Tail-lamps are similar to Passat (cluster LED). There is also DSG akin to Laura.

Interiors "appear" to be similar to Laura - from what I saw in AC photos, so I guess seating 3 in the back will be cramped, but it appeared to me (from what I read in a few sites) that the max legroom will be more than in the Laura (about 890 - 895 mm). Boot may be smaller than the 560 liters of Laura.

Exteriors certainly looks duller than the imposing Laura (more like Corolla I feel) but lots of chrome in the front - I guess head lamps will be Xenon.

AC also mentioned that you get a VW can opener along with the car - whatever that implies

Another funny thing I noticed in the AC article, while they said the car they drove was 1.9 TDI, the accompanying photo had a 2.0 written in the back.

Cheers,
Old 11th June 2008, 19:59   #94
Senior - BHPian

Even I found Autocar mentioning at "Bottle opener comes as standard" for the Jetta. Maybe they think that all potential owners would be regular drinkers or something like that

I found the looks pretty simple, not really head-turners. I am not sure if the Jetta would be able to challenge the Civic, even with its diesel engine.
Old 12th June 2008, 07:30   #95
BHPian

The current Jetta sold in North America has a clean design. VW in India can only command sales if they can offer the top end diesel models & provide equipment like Airbags & ABS standard. Incidentally an automatic option could be good one for city sleekers.
I personally feel their Rabbit/Golf will be a better offering in India, but that may be in the backburner, considering stable mate Skoda's Fabia range.
Old 12th June 2008, 08:14   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
priced well? 24-38 lacs for a tiny SUV?
We need to be careful what ideas we give car manufacturers through this forum. 20 lacs is $50,000 - you really deserve to get an exceptional car for that money.
Yes taxes in India are high on cars but its the same on your income. 20 lacs is a lot of money for a car by any standard. VW will be fool hardy to price the Tiguan beyond the Captiva, CRV price range - and I think those two are over-priced as it is!
As for the Jetta I really dont think it can cost more than the Accord in India. It should be the same or marginally more than the Civic and Corolla. Otherwise, with its plain jane looks, its not going to sell.
They recently launched the tiguan here in the states with a base price of $20k...$50k for the tiguan in india is ridiculous. The problem is that the Indian consumer is now used to all the high prices, we need to do something about it.
Old 12th June 2008, 18:57   #97
BHPian

Jetta

Thanks diffsof, I heard Jetta will be launched in July or Sep 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
From what I read in AutoCar VW is launching 1.6 Petrol and 1.9 Diesel. The Diesel will have the same platform as the Laura (A5). Engines are the same, external dimensions (L, B and W and Wheel base) are more or less the same (give or take 5 mm). Tail-lamps are similar to Passat (cluster LED). There is also DSG akin to Laura.

Interiors "appear" to be similar to Laura - from what I saw in AC photos, so I guess seating 3 in the back will be cramped, but it appeared to me (from what I read in a few sites) that the max legroom will be more than in the Laura (about 890 - 895 mm). Boot may be smaller than the 560 liters of Laura.

Exteriors certainly looks duller than the imposing Laura (more like Corolla I feel) but lots of chrome in the front - I guess head lamps will be Xenon.

AC also mentioned that you get a VW can opener along with the car - whatever that implies

Another funny thing I noticed in the AC article, while they said the car they drove was 1.9 TDI, the accompanying photo had a 2.0 written in the back.

Cheers,
Old 12th June 2008, 22:05   #98
Senior - BHPian

I do not think VW can reach 3 digit sales unless they increase their network in India.
Old 14th June 2008, 21:55   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I do not think VW can reach 3 digit sales unless they increase their network in India.
Their CEO said he expects to sell 1000 Jettas this year. Given that they would have 6 months (assuming July launch) with 6 dealers currently, that would be about 25 - 30 cars per month per dealer. Not too difficult I think.

Long run they want to have 100 dealers before the launch of UP!

Cheers,
Old 16th June 2008, 11:50   #100
BHPian

I was watching some car show on TV, it said the car will be launched with a 1.6 Petrol (100 Bhp) and 1.9 TDI, the launch was mentioned as July 08
Old 16th June 2008, 13:14   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
I was watching some car show on TV, it said the car will be launched with a 1.6 Petrol (100 Bhp) and 1.9 TDI, the launch was mentioned as July 08

If it is true those are pretty sad engine options.
Old 18th June 2008, 14:40   #102
BHPian

Jetta launch on 18 July

Just got an update from Elite Motors (VW dealer in Bangalore) that the Jetta launch will be on 18 July at Taj West End. Here are more interesting details:

There will be 3 variants of Jetta:
1.6 Petrol (Manual and Automatic)
1.6 Diesel CRDI (Manual and Automatic)
1.9 TDI DSG

I checked out for 1.6 CRDI on the net but looks like there is no Jetta with that spec. But the dealer was clear that 1.6 was CRDI.

Price range, ex-showroom Bangalore would be between 14 and 20 lakhs.

Cheers,
Old 22nd June 2008, 23:45   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Just got an update from Elite Motors (VW dealer in Bangalore) that the Jetta launch will be on 18 July at Taj West End. Here are more interesting details:

There will be 3 variants of Jetta:
1.6 Diesel CRDI (Manual and Automatic)
1.9 TDI DSG

I checked out for 1.6 CRDI on the net but looks like there is no Jetta with that spec. But the dealer was clear that 1.6 was CRDI.

Price range, ex-showroom Bangalore would be between 14 and 20 lakhs.

Cheers,
Yes, I got this information too. The test drives will be available from July 25th.

This one is out of my list due to the pricing. I'm pretty disappointed. Thought a 1.6 Petrol would be available for lesser. Anyway, Skoda set a trend and VW seem to be carrying it forward.
Old 23rd June 2008, 00:13   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If priced at 14L, this needs to be a really special car and loaded with gizmos to sell over the Civic and Corolla.
Old 23rd June 2008, 01:57   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
If priced at 14L, this needs to be a really special car and loaded with gizmos to sell over the Civic and Corolla.
You get German quality with VAG cars rather than gizmos.

If you want a car that will last then you can't beat a VW. Yes Honda and Toyota give you gizmos but what use are they in a car that will never last as long as a VW. I would rather have a solid car that lasts a long time than something with gizmos.

The Jetta / Bora is nothing wow to look at.

Last edited by bigman : 23rd June 2008 at 01:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks