Team-BHP - Would 'Nano' be copied by chinese?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Would 'Nano' be copied by chinese? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/34221-would-nano-copied-chinese.html)

After crores of rupees spent by Tata on nano.. wud chinese simply make a replica of nano with their own style of branding like ' piano' ? what would be the reaction in tata's and whats the dream of tata to be cheapest car in world?

if the chinese can replicate nano, then will it be cheaper than nano in india?

btw..am stunned to see top 10 duplicates of chinese includes mercs, RR etc..

sezart.tv: December 2007

hope we shudnt see nano in this top slot

That would be only the photocopy of the original i.e.half the quality of the original. Besides, the reason behind Nano's cheap price tag is innovative low cost engineering. So, if they intend to keep their Nano clone cheap.. they will have to copy each and every part of it.

Besides TATA has applied for patents on some of the innovations. I think I read this is rediff, I am not sure though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajivanoj (Post 687019)
After crores of rupees spent by Tata on nano.. wud chinese simply make a replica of nano with their own style of branding like ' piano' ?

I wouldnt be surprised - I was quite taken aback by the number of chinese faces at the Expo, and while we were returning on Day 2 we saw two chartered buses parked, with a queue of chinese faces lining up to board.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but if the Pulsar can become the Gulsar the Nano can be copied too.

isnt a nano already a copy in itself

Though nano has taken some designin cues from mitsubishi 'i' , nano is great VFM. but jus now i thought abt chinese intrusion with their own version and enter into illegal market in south american , african, and other developin countries..

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesal (Post 687111)

a copy of what !?

Just a matter of time.
Quote:

girish.r : Besides TATA has applied for patents on some of the innovations.
Yes, Tata has. But since when did the Chinese start respecting others' IPR ?

This certainly is a possibility. They are copy cats and copy and replicate anything. When they have copied Toyota's and GM's cars, Nano is nothing in front of them. They will also get the parts cheaper in China. But how long it will last will be a big question in itself.

A chinese nano will sell only in china.
Lets get real.
Chinese clones of high end cars are less safe than a 800. So chinese will have a chinese nano to ferry people in china.
they tried to sell cheap bikes in India, but buying christmas lights is different from buying cars

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesal (Post 687111)

Thats a first!

Nano is a copy of what? :eek:

Besides that, India is a big enough market in itself. Chinese cars will cost much more after import related tariff (Customs / Dumping etc).

And Nano has passed at least some of crash tests.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 687184)
Thats a first!

Nano is a copy of what?

I don't know, but the basic idea behind the claim by jesal seems correct. Simply because nobody has the time to re-invent the wheel in this business. The name of the game is reverse-engineering. The Japs were masters at it before they caught up with the Americans, who in turn did it to the Europeans, etc. If you come up with an original idea in this business, you must move fast and exploit it before somebody else reverse-engineers it. We Indians are so poor in this vital area of execution due to a number of constraints.

If what makes the Nano unique is due to a combination of factors unique to our nation, then it would be difficult to copy. E.g. cheap labour, a large market for small, fuel-efficient but basic cars, and so on. Otherwise it will be copied and we will again fall behind in next-to-no-time because of our poor execution.

well...lets see....

The Nano was launched last Monday. So we should have a chinese clone by tomorrow I guess. One week seems about right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 687163)
Chinese clones of high end cars are less safe than a 800.

I kind of disagree. After the Brilliance fiasco they reengineered the structural attributes of that car in a record-breaking 45 days or so, and its now got a Euro 4-star rating.

People, do NOT underestimate the Chinese. There's so many of them that engineering/reverse engineering becomes a trivial exercise.