Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2008, 20:18   #181
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
You got a point to an extent. But I feel Tata is trying to put Grande against
Scorpio and the facelift Safari might compete with Innova( thats what i feel after looking at Safari 2010 spy pics) . Any comments?
With the kind of features Tata have put on the Grande, it seems that they would like to position it as an alternative to the Innova.

I think that the next generation Safari will be a blue blooded SUV with great offroading capabilities with butch looks to go along with it. I don't see Tata's diluting the branding effort they have put into the Safari over the years.
Old 26th February 2008, 20:46   #182
Senior - BHPian

[quote=srh;735355]With the kind of features Tata have put on the Grande, it seems that they would like to position it as an alternative to the Innova.

For all the vehicles in that class....keep counting the dead

It has become a born fighter against the Scorpio, Innova & other vehicles in the same class

It's going to rock the Indian market by the sales figure at the end of the year 2008.........
Old 26th February 2008, 22:49   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
What is this new Winger thing? I saw only one car on the road and that too just a week back. Where did this one spring up from and when? Tata Motors generally advertise a new car launch , however bland or commercial it may be. Even Tata 407, 207 and even Ace pick up were advertised. No such thing with Winger. No Tv or print media coverage, nothing. Even auto mags were silent about Winger. Why? The vehicle looked good though. Can anyone provide some pics , driving impressions, riding impressions? No, I am not interested in buying one but would still like to know more about a new car ( if I can call it a car ) anyway. In the absence of any dedicated thread on Winger, I am having to borrow some space on this Sumo grande thread.
The winger was officially launched in Chennai last week although it has been available in the commercial (as against private) wing of TATA showrooms for some time. Even test drives have been offered. There is a private vehicle (white board) configuration and it has quite stylish interiors. If you need to move 9+1 around, this is a good option. It is not too expensive either.

Yes, no ads yet. Automags have pictures about it. One recently had a picture of a DC (Dilip Chhabria) modified Winger that was displayed at the recent Delhi AutoExpo where the Nano and Grande were also launched.

Seen a couple of them on the road and one of them was a Press vehicle.
Old 27th February 2008, 17:02   #184
Senior - BHPian

Safari is an SUV, Innova is not. Grande is Innova's rival. Ingenio would also be Innova's rival.
Old 27th February 2008, 17:25   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Safari is an SUV, Innova is not. Grande is Innova's rival. Ingenio would also be Innova's rival.
Innova is not a SUV I agree but Grande is not an SUV that seems to be wrong, have you seen it, I find it has more of a SUVish look than the Scorpio or the Safari. According to me the Safari looks Sedate (and dated) the scorpio looks macho (and dated) and the Grande looks brutish & fresh and nowhere does it look like a MUV
Old 27th February 2008, 18:16   #186
Senior - BHPian

grande is a MUV with looks of a SUV. it turns like a sedan and gives the utility of a family car. it looks fresh and appealing. its not a box as some refer it to be. its a package of goodies.
Old 27th February 2008, 18:27   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Innova is not a SUV I agree but Grande is not an SUV that seems to be wrong, have you seen it, I find it has more of a SUVish look than the Scorpio or the Safari. According to me the Safari looks Sedate (and dated) the scorpio looks macho (and dated) and the Grande looks brutish & fresh and nowhere does it look like a MUV
Having seen the Grande up close at the Auto Expo, I would say that it is definitely MUV. It sits low-ish, has a huge passenger cabin that makes it look ungainly from the side and is a 7-seater.

From no angle did it look "brutish" to me, but then looks are subjective. It looks best from the front 3Q where it shares its frontend with the Xenon (though it sits much lower).

It is a vehicle that screams 'passenger carrier'. In many ways it reminds me of the Toyota Unser (the Qualis's successor in South East Asia - before Innova) which also has the same looks where the passenger cabin dwarfs the front bonnet making it look disproportionately small.
Old 27th February 2008, 18:42   #188
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
It sits low-ish, has a huge passenger cabin that makes it look ungainly from the side and is a 7-seater.

It is a vehicle that screams 'passenger carrier'. In many ways it reminds me of the Toyota Unser (the Qualis's successor in South East Asia - before Innova) which also has the same looks where the passenger cabin dwarfs the front bonnet making it look disproportionately small.
Steer, i spent a good part of my day yesterday with grande and its definitely not low-ish. Infact its front looks higher than safari. Yes, it looks a bit ungainly and longish from side. it seems to have a long overhang..and rear is not good.

it looks really good from front and that is causing confusion in everyone's mind. apart from that,it has a small turning radius and that will be a major plus point in cities. For safari, i find it takes 4 lanes to take a U-turn. Grande may manage in just 3 (i havent tried yet).

Looks apart, its success may come from how well/bad it rides & tata quality.
Old 27th February 2008, 19:57   #189
BHPian

From the pictures that are there on the under-construction website, I really like the rear, especially the design of the tail lights and their placement. There is a kind of a 'phoren' touch to it.

But, somehow, I don't like the front.

Will it be commercialized (taxi-ized) just as the good old Sumo?
Old 27th February 2008, 21:17   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
From the pictures that are there on the under-construction website, I really like the rear, especially the design of the tail lights and their placement. There is a kind of a 'phoren' touch to it.

But, somehow, I don't like the front.

Will it be commercialized (taxi-ized) just as the good old Sumo?
nowdays all vehicles are used as taxi. right from maruti alto, santro to the mercedes benz.
our company has 8 ford fiestas as tourist vehicles. also the same contractor has oprtas and lancers. i feel too bad when i see yellow number plates over them. i have also seen yellow plates with tourist logo on Mercedes in mumbai
Old 27th February 2008, 22:46   #191
Senior - BHPian

It depends on the manner the people are going to treat the vehicle, will they be using it for own use or as a taxi.

We can say one thing that Sumo Grande is a MUV in all the way nothing more.......
Old 28th February 2008, 13:15   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Having seen the Grande up close at the Auto Expo, I would say that it is definitely MUV. It sits low-ish, has a huge passenger cabin that makes it look ungainly from the side and is a 7-seater.

From no angle did it look "brutish" to me, but then looks are subjective. It looks best from the front 3Q where it shares its frontend with the Xenon (though it sits much lower).

Steer

As you have rightly said "looks are subjective" or Beauty lies in the eyes of beer holder, I was not having beer when I saw it in the Expo and I was impressed by it looks and I found it brutish, having owned both the safari and the scorpio obviuosly I was looking at a fresher vehicle and hence my sense of beauty might be different from others, you know how you like the neighbours wife more than yours (U know what I mean). Anyways jokes apart I find the vehicle pretty neat looking and from the front and the side I guess they ran out of ideas when they were designing the rear.

Also I feel that 7 seater/ 8 seater does not mean that it becomes a MUV and not a SUV, in my case I had a Scorp which was 9 seater and it still is classified as a SUV, if you look at the size of the grande it is more or less same as the scorp may be couple of inches here and there even the ground clearance is the same, the tyre size is also the same and hence the MUV v/s SUV categorisation looks odd.

Anyways that is my opinion I just hope that the build quality is good from Tata this time, if it is then I am going for a Black grande and how about putting some decent alloys, how about adding the Scorpio like bonnet scoop and putting the spare at the back ala Safari obviously without the new cover showing the gleaming alloy instead and how about adding the Steel stairs ala the endeavour in the back, I am sure we have sorted out the bland rear looks by now. Just my two cents but first the Tatas have to come up with a decent build quality.

Ciao
Old 28th February 2008, 13:24   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and how about putting some decent alloys,
Sounds good.

Quote:
how about adding the Scorpio like bonnet scoop
WHY oh WHY? Nevermind - your requirement probably explains why Mahindra put a non-functional one on the Scorp.

Quote:
and putting the spare at the back ala Safari obviously without the new cover showing the gleaming alloy instead
I wouldnt recommend that. If they've put the spare wheel below they've obviously NOT designed the tailgate to take that weight and it WILL rattle.

Quote:
and how about adding the Steel stairs ala the endeavour in the back, I am sure we have sorted out the bland rear looks by now.
Err... no comment.

Quote:
Just my two cents but first the Tatas have to come up with a decent build quality.
You drive a Mahindra. You wont have an issue with the build quality on the Tata - they're pretty much the same.
Old 28th February 2008, 13:44   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Sounds good.
You drive a Mahindra. You wont have an issue with the build quality on the Tata - they're pretty much the same.
Agreed. Also I think we must remember that Mahindra had been making passenger cars considerably longer than Tatas.

I found the finish of the interiors of the Scorpio better than the Sumo Grande. But I love the unassuming layout of the Sumo. The Scorpio's interiors after the facelift looks like it had a one night stand with one of those Chinese cars. I am not speaking finish, but just the design. The oval vents to me looks completely out of place. It just might be my personal taste here.
Old 28th February 2008, 14:04   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Trapezio : Also I think we must remember that Mahindra had been making passenger cars considerably longer than Tatas.
At least UV's & people movers.

Quote:
Trapezio : The Scorpio's interiors after the facelift looks like it had a one night stand with one of those Chinese cars..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks