Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2008, 13:27   #271
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this is a very personal and subjective point of view

for example I certainly dont agree- I vastly prefer a Scorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
Mahindra has to upgrade the Scorpio looks.... its feels old style nowadays.

Sumo Grande beats Scorpio hands on in terms of looks.
Old 18th April 2008, 16:30   #272
Senior - BHPian

I have not seen many Grande's on the Road. I dont think its doin that well as expected!
Old 16th May 2008, 15:59   #273
jp1
BHPian

One more month is passing by, Are we seeing the Grande (will it Kill Scorpio?) in numbers on the road?, I am yet to see one on Bangalore roads. But seen one in Salem.
Old 16th May 2008, 16:39   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
One more month is passing by, Are we seeing the Grande (will it Kill Scorpio?) in numbers on the road?, I am yet to see one on Bangalore roads. But seen one in Salem.
Grande just killed itself, I have seen couple of them here in Indore and on my recent trip to Manali (last week) I didnt see a single one either on the highway or in cities like Agra, Delhi or Chandigarh. The dealer here told me that they have already sold 20 (in last two months) that is well below the Scorpio's average which should be close to 60 per month.
Old 16th May 2008, 16:53   #275
Team-BHP Support

Apart from the demo vehicles, I have seen only one Grande on the roads of Mumbai. The dealer told me that bookings are way below expectations.
It needs a lot more than just space to outsell the Scorpio. The name Sumo doesn't help its image either.
Old 16th May 2008, 17:17   #276
BHPian

Considering the impression in people about quality of the New Tata vehicales, I don't think any new tata car will have a flying start. Ever since the debacle of Indica launche, no new tata car has been a runaway success, be it Indigo, Marina, Safari Dicor or even the CS. It takes time for the word to spread. It has now kind of become customary to wait for 3-6 months before looking at any new tata vehicale. So I think, same is the case with Grande.
Old 16th May 2008, 17:22   #277
LLL
BHPian

seen couple of grande's in delhi. IMHO that it looks equally good on the road too. I guess part of the deal here is that its a tata vehicle named "sumo", that discourages buyers from putting their money down.

Had this same vehicle been named differently or sold by a different manufacturer, response would have been lot better.
Old 16th May 2008, 18:12   #278
jp1
BHPian

I believe Grande killed itself due to issues related people's apprehension about its reliability. In fact I really believed that Scorpio will get finished, that impression got created after reading this thread when it was started.

I do not think it is much to do with the name Sumo. Let me tell my case when I was evaluating Scorpio and Safari some time ago. I am not hijacking the thread to Safari Vs Scoprio, I am just putting down my experience when I evaluated and how the impressions created in your mind about a vehicle can change your plans. This was when I was planning to upgrade from my Bolero, I considered both Scorpio and Safari. The negative impression created in this forum about Scorpio made me uncomfortable going for Scorpio at that time. There are similar cases in these forums where people changing their preference from Scorpio to Safari. I have first hand experience with Mahindra Jeeps reliability for the past 15 years or more and I myself was using a Bolero for 5 years, still the impression created while reading all the opinion about Scorpio changed my mind. So I decide not to experiment with Scorpio as I am having limited budget and would like to use the vehicle for 4 to 5 years.

The other choice was Safari, I always liked Safari's look compared to Scorpio and wanted to go for a Safari. And all the excitement created here in these forums about Safari created a positive impression about the vehicle.(In fact I liked their Marina so much, but I think the reliability factor probably the reason that failed) But then why I did not go for Safari? My neighbour who bought a Safari (this was 3 years ago) disposed it off less than a month's time. He told me the Safari was having problems from day 1 and and he got tired of it. He then bought a Scorpio, used it for 1.5 years and upgraded to Ford Endeavour. My workshop guy who services my Bolero (he also services lot of Indica's) advised me not to buy any Tata vehicles and he said he gets lots of blasting from his customers, how much ever he fixes it, it will come back very soon. There is one more reason, as one of our family friends who owns both Tata and Leyland buses and trucks. He used to tell us that Tata vehicles has to be in the workshop very frequently compared to Leyland which seldom have a problem. Due to these reasons I decided not to try Safari even though I liked the vehicle and especially it looks.

So the impression created in people's mind about Tata vehicle's reliability could be a reason for Grande's slow sales.
Old 16th May 2008, 18:18   #279
Senior - BHPian

Over the ride to Palaghat, Kerala and then to Trichy, Tamil Nadu the number of Grande that I spotted was zero!

And surprisingly, I noticed more MHawks than Scoprio's (most of which were Pearl White - beautiful color!!!)
Old 16th May 2008, 21:45   #280
Senior - BHPian

To bring this 19 pages and 279 posts worth of speculation to a logical conclusion:
No, the Sumo Grande has not killed the Scorpio and does seem likely to in the very near future.
A new thread can be started when real symptoms start appearing.
Old 16th May 2008, 22:51   #281
BANNED

Why are we comparing apples with oranges guys.

The Grande and the Scorpio are entirly different MUV's all together.

Scorpio is a decent MUV. Let it remain that way.

Any Scorpio owner who TD's a Sumo Grande will feel the Grande is a true VFM.

If Sumo Grande has not sold better (which is not true)Scorpio has never sold like hot cakes either.

And getting safari into this thread is meaningless.

Safari is way beyond ahead of Competitions from these two MUV's.
Old 16th May 2008, 23:15   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Why are we comparing apples with oranges guys.

The Grande and the Scorpio are entirly different MUV's all together.

Scorpio is a decent MUV. Let it remain that way.

Any Scorpio owner who TD's a Sumo Grande will feel the Grande is a true VFM.

If Sumo Grande has not sold better (which is not true)Scorpio has never sold like hot cakes either.

And getting safari into this thread is meaningless.

Safari is way beyond ahead of Competitions from these two MUV's.
True!! Those were my exact thoughts Pavan.

No Sumo owner wants to have a scorpio cause he is content with VFM factor and no SCorpio owner wants to have a Sumo cause he is content with the looks, power, etc.

I think both the vehicles have different identities and cannot be compared except for the segment that they fall under.
Old 17th May 2008, 10:21   #283
BHPian

After all these, i felt very inferior yesterday, when a Black Grande with HR alloys & duellers with black tinted glass, parked besides my Scorp.
Old 17th May 2008, 10:40   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansidea View Post
After all these, i felt very inferior yesterday, when a Black Grande with HR alloys & duellers with black tinted glass, parked besides my Scorp.
A well shod, smartly 'dressed' Safari will also make your Scorpio look quite out of date!
But, is THAT all you bought the Scorp for?
Old 17th May 2008, 11:51   #285
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
To bring this 19 pages and 279 posts worth of speculation to a logical conclusion:
No, the Sumo Grande has not killed the Scorpio and does seem likely to in the very near future.
A new thread can be started when real symptoms start appearing.
And so ends the speculation. Thread closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks