Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2008, 14:13   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

It will come down to 2 things:

1. The taxi segment penetration. The higher the price, more image-conscious one gets. That said, I am aware of Indica and Mercedes-Benz taxis on either side of the spectrum.

2. Creature comforts inside the cabin.
Old 14th January 2008, 17:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

We all have to admit that the grande has a very improved and new look, I am afraid that it should not pull away the safari customers leave alone scorpio.

But also depends on the interiors, performance etc.
Old 14th January 2008, 19:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

@Dadu

Dadu ur right and it cannot come in the way of Safari and on the design they have given a good look

- Raghu

Suzuki Shogun
Suzuki Samurai
Maruti Omni
Maruti Esteem
Tata Safari (Waiting for Jan 27th - Delivery)
Old 14th January 2008, 21:35   #19
BHPian

What's the point comparing Sumo and Scorpio? Both are in 2 different worlds, aren't they?
Sumo grande doesn't look exciting at all. Especially the interiors. It's made to be just another shuttle cab.
Old 14th January 2008, 22:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

for me, the scorpio is all about its looks and its smashing performance... especially, the mHAWK with its 0-100 kmph timing of 14.5 secs leave many petrol sedans behind!
the scorpio's tough looks cant be matched by the grande. and after all, a TATA is a TATA and a sumo will remain a sumo. maintainence issues are prominent in a TATA. notice the grande has leaf springs at the rear, so it wont come close to the scorpio for ride comfort too.
and lastly, each car has its class. the grande is in the class of tavera and bolero. the scorpio is in the class of safari and innova. (though innova is an MUV!!) and people in india are very image conscious.
i would not like to own a "sumo" costing 8 lakhs!!!
scorpio, dont worry... U ROCK!!
Old 14th January 2008, 22:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Dadu ur right and it cannot come in the way of Safari and on the design they have given a good look
Quote:
According to me Sumo Grande will make Mahindra Scorpio( ) Sink single handedly

What do u all say???

Start Posting guys....................
- Raghu

Suzuki Shogun
Suzuki Samurai
Maruti Omni
Maruti Esteem
Tata Safari (Waiting for Jan 27th - Delivery)
Buddy, you seem to contradict yourself. I don't know under what assumption you said grande will kill scorpio, but if you go by same logic grande can cannibalize safari, but just because you have booked/like safari, you feel like it will not affect its sale.

can you please explain??
Old 14th January 2008, 22:40   #22
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra BOLERO sold 4762 units in Nov 07. IMO, this will be the market TATA is aiming for.
Old 15th January 2008, 08:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

@tifosikrishna

I am not contradict on Sumo Grande or any other vehicle and Grande cannot come in the way of Safari sale in any ways, Safari is The King in it's class and will stay King forever.

I don't think Tata does has lost its power to grasp the market and release the vehicle.

They would have never let Sumo Grande if they had thought like U

I am not saying this just b'cos i have booked The King, Safari is widely known as The King or The Beast in the market.
Old 15th January 2008, 09:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

yes, even i agree.
the grande can easily outsell the bolero, i think.
but the mahindra's engine is very reliable and i dont know how the 2.2 will fare in this respect.

i dont quite agree with gowda here. i have no idea what safari is known as, in the market, but having extensively driven the car, i have found it to be very cumbersome to drive in the city. also in the highways, the 3 lit engine has to be kept in the right gear everytime, and with it's short powerband, it's a pain!
and about the maintainence, better not said! the list is too long for this page...

Last edited by Zappo : 16th January 2008 at 01:09. Reason: Contiguous posts merged.
Old 15th January 2008, 11:00   #25
BHPian

After Sumo Grande, is there any news of TATAs coming out with an upgraded Safari???
Old 15th January 2008, 11:00   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
I am not contradict on Sumo Grande or any other vehicle and Grande cannot come in the way of Safari sale in any ways, Safari is The King in it's class and will stay King forever.

I don't think Tata does has lost its power to grasp the market and release the vehicle.

They would have never let Sumo Grande if they had thought like U

I am not saying this just b'cos i have booked The King, Safari is widely known as The King or The Beast in the market.
But Safari never led the sales charts,its not even known for its quality or relaiblity(now safari owners pls dont tell me that "i own a safari for XXXXX kms and its been more reliable than a pajero")
Old 15th January 2008, 11:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
But Safari never led the sales charts,its not even known for its quality or relaiblity(now safari owners pls dont tell me that "i own a safari for XXXXX kms and its been more reliable than a pajero")

I totally agree with you in terms of TATA Safari being not too reliable. Its an amazing Value for Money, and I think that is the selling proposition for Safari.
Vehicles like Pajero are light years ahead in terms of reliablity.
Old 15th January 2008, 12:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

@rhandle

Rhandle please do not use wrong words and u cannot insult the company by saying it SUMO GANDEE

If u would have done it by mistake then it is known as SUMO GRANDE and not SUMO GANDEE, please keep up the spirit of TBHPian and just give your likes and no likes of the vehicle and nothing more.

Moderators i think some one should look into this(SUMO GANDEE) and such words should not be used which will be insulting the company brand name or the company name.

Please TBHPians look into ur words
Old 15th January 2008, 14:10   #29
BHPian

This surely eat into scorpio market, for the simple reason that a very large number of scorpios are being used as taxis. The personal user segment may not be effected.
Old 15th January 2008, 14:55   #30
BHPian

I feel Sumo Grande will be targeting Scoprio and the upcoming "Ingenio".
If you see the video(ad), it says comfort of a family car, and I believe Ingenio is targeting the same market.
Ingenio 6 or 7 seats 2.2L 120 BHP
Sumo G 6 or 7 seats 2.2L 120 BHP
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks