Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2008, 22:34   #91
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up for Sumo Grande

Sumo Grande just looks fabulous. If only Tata had named it differntly then it would have been an altogether new vehicle. It still is a completely new vehicle. It has no resemblance whatsoever to old Sumo, nor are there any common body parts or engine. But the old Sumo stregnth of roominess and sapce continues. It's roomiest MUV / SUV in India. Beats even Safari. And much more spacious than Scorpio which is very cramped. Also new Sumo Grande looks somewhat Pajero-esque. Sumo Grande is a very radical design. Nano's launch has eclipsed Grande's grandeur and stole all the thunder to the point that Grande did not get any press coverage in non-auto print media. But in my opinion, it's Tata Motors trump card.
Old 21st February 2008, 01:08   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Love the neatly integrated roof AC vents for the rear seat passengers and the reclining middle row seats in the TATA Sumo Grande neither of which are available on the Mahindra Scorpio. The rear AC vents near the feet of the middle row passengers are near useless except to cool ones feet and the directional capabilities of the front vents are not good either.
You can pay for the optional roof mounted AC vent (Qualis style) for the Scorpio.

Its a shame with all the gimick changes Mahindra have made to the Scorpio they could not have cut the gimicks and given buyers something useful like a roof mounted AC.
Old 21st February 2008, 09:12   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Love the neatly integrated roof AC vents for the rear seat passengers and the reclining middle row seats in the TATA Sumo Grande neither of which are available on the Mahindra Scorpio.
Are you sure about the reclining middle row because I remember quite a few posts going back & forth on another thread where the virtues of the Scorpio's reclining middle row were being discussed in great detail?
Old 21st February 2008, 09:21   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Are you sure about the reclining middle row because I remember quite a few posts going back & forth on another thread where the virtues of the Scorpio's reclining middle row were being discussed in great detail?
Suman seems the Grande has it. Check Blueboy's report/thread.
Old 21st February 2008, 09:34   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
That was not about reclining middle row seats. The Scorpio has a middle row that can move longitudinally about 8 inches.
Old 21st February 2008, 11:51   #96
BHPian

so the scorpio m hawk was launched as mahindras answer to the new sumo and the new safari?? will be interesting to see which way the sales dip. i think the scorpio will still rule where sales are concerned amongst the three followed by the new safari 2.2.
Old 21st February 2008, 12:04   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
so the scorpio m hawk was launched as mahindras answer to the new sumo and the new safari?? will be interesting to see which way the sales dip. i think the scorpio will still rule where sales are concerned amongst the three followed by the new safari 2.2.
No. mHawk was for Safari but I think the pricing is wrong. Also it was detuned to 120bhp as the current gear box wouldnt take the load.

Bit OT,

Safari 3L's and 2.2L's gear box remains the same?
Old 21st February 2008, 12:34   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
No way the Scorpio mHawk is going to rule, the Scorpio is sanwidched inbetween the Safari 2.2 & Sumo Grande 2.2.

According to me looking at the hype given to Grande, Grande will beat the Scorpio Single handedly.
Old 21st February 2008, 13:42   #99
Senior - BHPian

mHawk with a price range starting from 11 lacs is not a all a VFM. Safari is a class apart. Also people have reported some flaws in mHawk electricals, especially the rain sensor wipers which start off without the rains
Old 21st February 2008, 13:49   #100
Senior - BHPian

i couldnt test drive the sumo grande yesterday. but tomorrow i will test it. especially the rolling test.
well to begin with, the first impression from outside is that its a fresh looking brand new designed with no traces of the older sumo. i dont know why tata named it sumo grande instead of PHEONIX. the bumpers, the bonet, the grills, the crystal clear head lamps, the doors etc look well in place with good finish.
i just noticed a small gal in the fittment of rear bumper.

open the door and have a look inside from a bit of distance. ur eyes get delighted to see the beige coloured interiors the wooden facia on the console, the very contempary design of the AC vents from the roofs, in the middle row as well as the third row. The seats also look very big and comfortable with nice incline. the second row seats recline for an entry to the third row.
.....will continue soon. running out of time. please bear with me
Old 21st February 2008, 14:46   #101
Team-BHP Support

The answer to the thread title :
I'm afraid i'm gonna have to say YES.
Old 21st February 2008, 14:53   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
No way the Scorpio mHawk is going to rule, the Scorpio is sanwidched inbetween the Safari 2.2 & Sumo Grande 2.2.

According to me looking at the hype given to Grande, Grande will beat the Scorpio Single handedly.

Even though the MHawk was for Safari, the VFM was not seen! Now with Tata placing Grande in this segment, they have a killer standing at both the levels. Grande going upto 7.5laks and from there Safari takes over!

I would say well positioned products.

Although I would have loved to see ABS on atleast the top end Grande!
Old 21st February 2008, 14:58   #103
Senior - BHPian

I dont know how comfortable the rear most seats would be although they might be having good leg and shoulder room. The car is built on a wheelbase of 2550mm and the rear most seats are on the overhang, couple that with leaf spring suspension, the passengers would be tossed around on anything other than a perfect road.
Old 21st February 2008, 15:05   #104
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
If only Tata had named it differntly then it would have been an altogether new vehicle. It still is a completely new vehicle. It has no resemblance whatsoever to old Sumo, nor are there any common body parts or engine.
Thats a misconception. The Sumo Grande is based on the old Sumo.
Old 21st February 2008, 16:09   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Suman seems the Grande has it. Check Blueboy's report/thread.
Yah, I know JK. I was told the Scorpio has it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
That was not about reclining middle row seats. The Scorpio has a middle row that can move longitudinally about 8 inches.
Well, you tell me mate! I ain't a Scorpio owner, when I asked last time around, I was pounced upon and pummelled till I accepted that it did have a middle row recline -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post624246

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post624273

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post624361

So what's the actual story, chief?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed