Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 12:14   #61
Senior - BHPian

tata will soon launch the cross over. it will surely be threat to innova, safari, sumo grande and mahindra. its quality will be the main focus. looks are very good.90% same as innova
Old 5th February 2008, 12:36   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
trapezio, did u manage to click a few snaps of grande. What about fit and finish and quality of plastics.

Well there are good pieces and bad pieces... Particularly the aircon vents were disappointing. The ones on the sides of the dash could have been much better... There are cupholder for the second row of seats. Another poor piece I thought. I think fit and finish is the weakest point... But chalta hai... I can imagine people overlooking this if everything else goes fine. Scorpio's overall finish is definitely more consistent... But then maybe when it reaches the people these things are sorted. The units they sent to dealers etc initially are the first lot which often have teething problems...

Don't know about handling and ride quality.
Old 5th February 2008, 16:14   #63
tez
BHPian

i believe grande has 2.2l engine with 120bhp. Do you guys think that there will be an increase in FE when compared to safari 2.2
Old 5th February 2008, 16:15   #64
BHPian

i don't see the point of comparing it with the bolero as its quite clearly a superior vehicle in terms of styling and performance.
and although popular verdict is that its going to give the scorpio a run for its money, i seriously doubt it. the scorpio is doing very well and has made a good reputation for itself. the only comparison can be made in terms of the features that the grande offers as opposed to that of the scorpio's. the grande comes loaded with features even in its base model. of course price is going to steer the grande in a positive direction. but without having tested this vehicle, much is left to be seen and proved.
Old 5th February 2008, 16:19   #65
BHPian

No way!!!

Sumo Grande will never take on Scorpio but will drown Tavera
Old 6th February 2008, 12:48   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post

that's for sure! Tavera is up against the wall.
Old 6th February 2008, 14:55   #67
BHPian

Quote:
It sure will take on the Scorpio, they have more or less the same engine ie 2.2/ 120 BHP. The scorpio looks are dated and the interiors are pretty bland, the prices start at 50 K less than the scorpio, the Sumo grande actually looks far better then the scorpio and fresher too, I feel even the upcoming Ingenio will be theatened and the Innova too. The fit and finish of the Sumo grande looked great in the auto expo, lets hope they mantain that when it comes to its launch.
Old 6th February 2008, 16:33   #68
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalysm76 View Post
that's for sure! Tavera is up against the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
It sure will take on the Scorpio, they have more or less the same engine ie 2.2/ 120 BHP. The scorpio looks are dated and the interiors are pretty bland, the prices start at 50 K less than the scorpio, the Sumo grande actually looks far better then the scorpio and fresher too, I feel even the upcoming Ingenio will be theatened and the Innova too. The fit and finish of the Sumo grande looked great in the auto expo, lets hope they mantain that when it comes to its launch.
This is all speculation.

Lets first have some scorpio/innova/safari owners review the sumo before we all waste our time on whats going to get killed.

I already read comments on poor fit and finish and no TD reports as yet. Also, jumping the sumo taxi image will be very hard.
Old 6th February 2008, 17:28   #69
BHPian

Production is starting from friday @ 30 vehicles per day... hence launch day is near by maybe around feb end.
Old 8th February 2008, 13:58   #70
Senior - BHPian

@007

According to dealers the manufacturing is already started and they have also received TD vehicles, and just waiting for the official announcement from Tata
Old 8th February 2008, 17:21   #71
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
According to dealers the manufacturing is already started and they have also received TD vehicles, and just waiting for the official announcement from Tata
So what are they waiting for? Ingenio?
Old 8th February 2008, 22:48   #72
Senior - BHPian

sumo grande manufacturing was started long back. it has a very nice looks. but the body seems to be at gr8 height from the wheels with excessive ground clearance. i hope the body rolling problem doesnt creep in.
the rear looks are amazing with the chrome inline with tails. also the interiors are a bit fresh looking as compared to scorpio.
Old 9th February 2008, 01:16   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
The interiors maybe bland but it still looks fresher than the Sumo and Safari. The Safari has been looking long in the tooth for a few years now.

I think this is going to be the usual affair from TATA and their finish and quality control is going to let them down. I hope they prove me wrong because the pricing mentioned for the Grande is very good and it will blow holes in both Scorpio and Safari sales. Might as well buy a Sumo Grande and a small car for local use. If the quality is good I am seriously considering buying a Grande in the next year or so.
Old 9th February 2008, 01:55   #74
Team-BHP Support

Talked to the Wasan Tata dealership guys the other day. The Grande will come with the 2.2 DiCOR engine, but, will have lesser power than the Safari. It will not have a 4WD option. So for the offroading enthusiast, the Grande will hold no appeal. But, with those looks and interior space, people who are just looking to buy a large people carrier, this vehicle seems like a good choice. It looks capable of drawing customers away from the Scorpio and Safari.
Old 9th February 2008, 13:43   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
The interiors maybe bland but it still looks fresher than the Sumo and Safari. The Safari has been looking long in the tooth for a few years now.

You mean that the Scorpio look fresher than the Sumo Grande, man have you seen that vehicle, I saw it at the expo and to tell you the truth it is better looking than the Scorpio and the Safari anyday, they messed up the rear (or may be they ran out of ideas) but the Grande really is a looker, with a 2.2 l/ 120 bhp it has the engine to match the Scorpio. I had a scorpio for 3 years may be that is why it looks dated to me.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks