Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2008, 16:37   #106
BHPian

Hey Guys

Good news for all of you, here is an official communique from Tata Motors.

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana]Tata motors today announced the commencement of sales of its latest passenger vehicle offering, the Sumo Grande, in the domestic market. Sumo Grande, unveiled at the Auto Expo in January this year, will be commercially available from dealerships located in metros and select large cities from February 22, 2008, and progressively across the country in a phased manner. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana]The new Sumo Grande combines the looks of an SUV with the comforts of a family car. It has been specifically designed to satisfy the needs of city customers in the areas of driveability, maneuverability and fuel efficiency. The Sumo Grande sports an all new styling with clean chiselled looks mating with flowing contours. The tall aggressive stance is complimented by large clear headlamps, and a cutaway air dam in the front. The clean rear look, with the spare wheel tucked under the body, is accentuated by attractive tail lights and a chrome overlay.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana]Designed with a longer wheelbase of 2550 mm (existing 2400 mm), the Sumo Grande sports comfortable 3 row seating with best in class third row seats. Beige interiors are complimented by fire and stain resistant fabric upholstery. Dual HVAC with roof integrated louvers ensures personalised climate adjustment for the occupants in each row. Power steering, power windows, motorised ORVMs, height adjustable driver¿s seat and a state of the art CD/MP3 music system further add to the comforts and convenience of a family traveling in the Sumo Grande. The vehicle is powered by the new generation 2.2 L direct injection common rail (DICOR) engine, fitted with a variable geometry turbocharger creating a perfect blend of performance and fuel efficiency. Maximum power and torque of 120 PS and 250 Nm, coupled with high torque levels over a wide RPM band enhance driveability in stop start city traffic. For a vehicle its size, the Sumo Grande is extremely maneuverable with the turning circle radius of 5.25 m, similar to a small car. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana]The Sumo Grande will be available in 3 variants - Lx, Ex and Gx -- all of which have two seating configurations - 6+1 and 7+1. The vehicle will be available in 7 colours, including 4 new shades, Sunset Orange, Zephyr Green, Mineral Red and Marine Blue. The Sumo Grande range is priced in the range of Rs.6.55 lakhs to Rs.7.49 lakhs (ex-showroom, Delhi). It comes with an enhanced warranty of 2 years or 75000 kms. (whichever is earlier). An additional 2 years' warranty can be availed through the extended warranty option.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 21st February 2008, 18:46   #107
LLL
BHPian

Well i think Grande may actually kill Safari.

Why would someone pay more for a 5 seater, old design, so-so qlty, ordinary colored safari when they can get a 8 seater, better looking, good qlty(??) and great colored grande. Even base grande @ 6.7L has tubeless tyres.

What can safari offer that grande doesnt?

Cladding - 95% of our cars dont have it.
More power -> not needed....if a fully loaded grande can be driven comfortably @ 120 kph, then it is sufficient. You cant and shouldnt be driving above that on indian roads.
Old 21st February 2008, 19:00   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
At the moment -
1) ABS & Airbags on the top-end version
2) 4x4 & they will not offer that on the Sumo Grande in a hurry
3) More power, not necessarily required only for 120 kmph plus but at lower speeds
Old 21st February 2008, 19:09   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
At the moment -
3) More power, not necessarily required only for 120 kmph plus but at lower speeds
4) Better rear suspension
Old 21st February 2008, 19:28   #110
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
At the moment -
Are people really buying VX or 4x4 safaris? I dont have the data but wont be surprised if 75% of safari sales are LX 4x2.

Quote:
Agree with this, but as an overall package, dont u think grande seems better than safari?
Old 21st February 2008, 19:42   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why would someone pay more for a 5 seater, old design, so-so qlty, ordinary colored safari when they can get a 8 seater, better looking, good qlty(??) and great colored grande. Even base grande @ 6.7L has tubeless tyres.
If it can kill safari why not scorpio... as far as I know even your darling Scorpio hasnt been able to kill safari, the sales of safari have only increased.

Quote:

More power -> not needed....if a fully loaded grande can be driven comfortably @ 120 kph, then it is sufficient. You cant and shouldnt be driving above that on indian roads.
The Grand may be fresher looking but it isnt even half as good looking as Safari. If you dont believe me.... post a poll and get your answer.
Its still a "Sumo" and it will never be a "Safari"... if you know what I mean otherwise refrain from discussing further.
I hardly see Scorpio LX selling mainly because it looks too spartan owing to lack of cladding and this is the feedback I have gto from people so although 95% cars wont be having the side cladding, 95% of SUV's in that range have the side cladding and it matters.

Be rest assured, Safari will soldier on like it has.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 21st February 2008 at 19:56.
Old 21st February 2008, 19:49   #112
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
If it can kill safari why not scorpio... as far as I know even your darling Scorpio hasnt been able to kill safari, the sales of safari have only increased.
ha ha...i havent ever even TD'ed a scorpio, forget about ever planning to buy one. I refrain from commenting on scorpio as i dont know much about it. Only thing i see is that there are more scorpios on delhi roads than safaris.

Quote:
The Grand may be fresher looking but it isnt even half as good looking as Safari. If you dont believe me.... post a poll and get your answer.
Its still a "Sumo" and it will never be a "Safari"... if you know what I mean otherwise refrain from discussing further.
Thats a good suggestion. I will post the poll once grande is released and deliveries start. Right now, most of ppl will respond based on pictures of grande (in which it looks really good) and that wont be fair to safari/scorpio.
Old 21st February 2008, 19:49   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anything upto that was fine. But this is where I object. Are you trying to tell that anyone who does not "know" what you mean should refrain from discussing further on this thread?

Sir I would suggest you refrain from taking this line, on this thread or any other in future... if you know what I mean.

And I am very serious when I say this...
Old 21st February 2008, 19:49   #114
srh
BHPian

Quote:
If it can kill safari why not scorpio...
Don't know about the Scorpio, but I am sure that Toyota would be worried. The Innova is basically a people mover and the Sumo can challenge it for that.
Old 21st February 2008, 20:01   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Anything upto that was fine. But this is where I object. Are you trying to tell that anyone who does not "know" what you mean should refrain from discussing further on this thread?

Sir I would suggest you refrain from taking this line, on this thread or any other in future... if you know what I mean.

And I am very serious when I say this...
Mr. Moderator I didnt meant it to be harsh. I just dont want to be dragged into unecessary arguments and explaining all the time what I meant when I said it 'there'. Its very obvious that I cant refrain anyone from posting on this thread, that was not my intention anyway.
I hope this clears the air.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 21st February 2008 at 20:03.
Old 21st February 2008, 20:03   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with this, but as an overall package, dont u think grande seems better than safari?
The top-end against the base Safari LX - yes; I had freaked out over the Grande the day Steer put up the Auto Expo pics.

However, why the Safari LX alone, it would kill the Scorpio too if the non-people-mover-segment customers were wooed by the looks of the Grande?

Last edited by suman : 21st February 2008 at 20:05.
Old 21st February 2008, 22:30   #117
Senior - BHPian

continued....

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i couldnt test drive the sumo grande yesterday. but tomorrow i will test it. especially the rolling test.
well to begin with, the first impression from outside is that its a fresh looking brand new designed with no traces of the older sumo. i dont know why tata named it sumo grande instead of PHEONIX. the bumpers, the bonet, the grills, the crystal clear head lamps, the doors etc look well in place with good finish.
i just noticed a small gal in the fittment of rear bumper.

open the door and have a look inside from a bit of distance. ur eyes get delighted to see the beige coloured interiors the wooden facia on the console, the very contempary design of the AC vents from the roofs, in the middle row as well as the third row. The seats also look very big and comfortable with nice incline. the second row seats recline for an entry to the third row.
.....will continue soon. running out of time. please bear with me
there is enough large space between the second row and front seats. the third row seats are however quite different. they are located over the wheel arches and a bit higher from the floor. that means u wont get much support to your thighs. u can note a small bump right in the middle of the third row seat. i really wonder why is it designed so.

regarding the A/C, its wonderful. the second and third row cooling is very nice. the vents designed on the roof give a nice vertically downwards throw spread over a wide area.

now here comes a bit of sad part. i.e the quality and feel of the plastic used from a close view and touch. the plastic though rich in color feels a bit cheap. it could have always been better. the fit and finish is also poor. especially the glove box of the grande which i tested had a huge play and gap at the bottom. also the plugs had bur on it. the ac vent flaps also have a poor finish. the wooden facia is good but the fitment could have been better. the door release and lock lever feel very cheap. while operation them they dont give a perfect locking unlocking sound and feel.
also i think that the plastic is easily scratchable. that means u have to be careful while moving ur luggage.

will test drive it tomorrow and give the details of the engine drive train, rolling and suspension etc.
above was the rough review about the sumo grande. will give a perfect review when i will look at all the points discussed on our forum. might be i am wrong in observation on above points.
Old 21st February 2008, 22:38   #118
Senior - BHPian

NOT another scorpio bashing thread..

ANOTHER scorpio BASHING thread , eh??? ......
Old 21st February 2008, 22:47   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

no one can kill safari. safari is a symbol of PRESTIGE , PRIDE and POSSESSION. safari is not a ordinary coloured vehicle. The pearl White colour found on safari is not found in any vehicle. Design is old, yet every time u see it on road , moving with a roar u feel a fresh richer safari and u always give it a second look.
Cladding is not that customers look at while buying a SAFARI.

Sumo grande has a potential to drown TAVERA, Scorpio and INNOVA i.e vehicles that are used widely in tourist market. i hope u r getting my point. Sumo grande is an outcome of very stringent and wide market survey done by TATAS.
and SAFARI is not a tourist vehicle. u know the % of safaris uses as tourist vehicles and % of tavera, scorpios and innovas used for tourist purposes.
Old 21st February 2008, 22:57   #120
BHPian

i think this will sell like hot cakes all the 3 models and kill sales of all other muvs+suvs in the 6 to 12 lakh bracket
imagine scorpio charging 11.2 lakhs for the 2.2 hawk when we can get the same engine with better needed features in the sumo grande for 8lakh+( - abs ) like electric orvms
Closed Thread

Most Viewed