Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:13   #136
Senior - BHPian

Do u all agree with this -

Safari - The Style & Speed Icon (No Comparison)

Scorpio - The Cramp Icon(ha ha ha)
Sumo Grande - The Killer Icon(For Scorpio, Tavera & Innova)
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:27   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post

You got my vote!
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:39   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

yes all with u
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:03   #139
Senior - BHPian

family

check it out yourself. it has all the potentials. no cramped interiors like scorpio
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:06   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Count me in too for the vision !!
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:13   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
...check it out yourself. it has all the potentials. no cramped interiors like scorpio
wow; with seats foldable as that, image the amount of 'boot' space that you can get! this is what I say 'Great'!!!
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:23   #142
Senior - BHPian

guys i have finally tested the grande. Wow Wow Wow its just amazing. will give u a detail experience in the night today. its a zip zap type of vehicle that will make stop and go city traffic a breeze. i was really amazed by the small space it takes to turn and make cuts. the steering is the best ever i felt. and believe me guys i didn't find any rolling which we all doubted. the tall stance which it gives and the tilt adjustable steering delivers a great visibility and confidence while driving.
Pickup - 120 BHP with perfect power to weight ratio - its a beast. gear shift is also very neat against the spongy gear shifts on older sumos. the tyres grip the tarmac very strongly. braking is also very confident. but i skid from the seat when braked hard . don't know whether the seats were smooth or my pants.
i loved the dials a lot. i want to drive in the night. nice ambilight. looks very refreshing. to be continued...
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:37   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
guys i have finally tested the grande. Wow Wow Wow its just amazing. will give u a detail experience in the night today. its a zip zap type of vehicle that will make stop and go city traffic a breeze. i was really amazed by the small space it takes to turn and make cuts. the steering is the best ever i felt. and believe me guys i didn't find any rolling which we all doubted. the tall stance which it gives and the tilt adjustable steering delivers a great visibility and confidence while driving.
Pickup - 120 BHP with perfect power to weight ratio - its a beast. gear shift is also very neat against the spongy gear shifts on older sumos. the tyres grip the tarmac very strongly. braking is also very confident. but i skid from the seat when braked hard . don't know whether the seats were smooth or my pants.
i loved the dials a lot. i want to drive in the night. nice ambilight. looks very refreshing. to be continued...
I knew amit, you can do it... congrates. Waiting further for a detailed report and with pics (now am i know i am expecting too much)...

Even looking grande's website they claim the turning radius to be as short as of a small car.

Last edited by ashthedivx : 22nd February 2008 at 17:38.
Old 22nd February 2008, 18:35   #144
tez
BHPian

wow amit, thanks for the initial reviews.sounds like TATA has got a real killer at their hands
Old 22nd February 2008, 18:37   #145
BANNED

You've got my vote too buddy.
Old 22nd February 2008, 18:43   #146
BANNED

Great dude, you've already test driven,

Cant wait to get my hands on it some day(for the test drive only)

Yes TATA surely seems to have a KILLER on their hands .

Mr Ratan, What's more to come.

You've done us proud already with your Tata Indica V2
Tata Indigo
Tata Sumo
Tata Ace
Tata 207/407
All the other trucks
Tata Safari 2 ltr / 3 ltr / 2.2 ltr
Tata Telco line
Tata Sumo Grande
and to top the list
Tata Nano

Great going Mr Tata
Old 22nd February 2008, 21:45   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

continued....
i wanted to drive the quartz black one but couldnt get it. the orange one was ready. when i first entered inside i felt so amazed looking at the interior space. i loved the steering too though i had seen a similar ones on indigo SX. i just started the engine and immediately noticed that its well refined. it has a 16 valve double overhead camshaft (DOHC) with a variable geometry turbo charged Common Rail Diesel Injected engine. this gives a very nice torque spread over large span of RPM. also it delivers perfect power and economy. the driver advised me to directly put in the second gear. but i dint yield. i put in the first gear, put a heavy foot on the accelerator and released the clutch. oppps i got a the wheels spinning on the spot and a loud squeak that drew attention of many people. i immediately put the second gear, and within a short shift the third. then i went over a very large speed breaker at a speed of 40 kmph. i didnt get any sort of harsh bang or the swing type effect that we get in the old sumo and scorpio. the rear landed very smoothly thanks to the parabolic leaf springs. however i heard a "KHAD" noise which the other person told me was of the rear spare tyre loosely clamped at the rear. then i took a sharp u turn at speed of about 40 KMPH over a small circle. i couldnt believe that i turned so sharply and confidently within such a small circle. i again turned round twice in that same circle. i was loving it a lot. the other person might have surely doubted that i am a maniac. then on a narrow road i drove it in 4th gear at a very low speed. it gave me the confidence how the grande will behave in the city. Guys no frequent shifting of the gears needed. even no traces of knocking at low speeds and high gears was noticed. then i pulled it over a long stretch and put the overdrive gear. wow the punch is very powerful. within seconds i was at 100 KMPH. however the other person was niggling at me over this. i wanted to record the timings but the other person didnt co-operate with me . also he told me that new car shouldn't be driven over 60 KMPH as if i didnt knew this fact.
what i did on return was i drove it ziz zag, left right left like a mad person with seat belts tight, at speeds of 60-70-50. No Rolling Effect Boss. that was a great news for all of us. i wanted to skid it while turning steep. but alas the tyres were not ready to skid on the tarmac. this shows a great road grip and a balanced CG ( centre of gravity ).
i braked very hard at speed of 60 KMPH. i stopped on the spot with a squeak noise. the stopping was perfect. the vehicle remained perfectly straight and steady. it was me what slipped and not the vehicle. however an ABS option will be a warm welcome.
this was too much torture for the other guy who might be cursing me a lot for offering me a test drive. so i decided to end this here. i asked him to drive and i sat in the second row. and then in the third row with AC on. i loved it. a class apart feel. i could easily recline the back of second row and sleep comfortably. then third row is however a bit shallow for legs. but i think they are a lot better than the innova. third row in innova is a strict no. i asked him to go fast over the speed breaker with me sitting in the third row. i jumped but not as much to frighten me. it wasnt so uncomfortable. didnt feel those leaf springs below me. also it didnt bounce back once or twice as it does on old sumo.

Conclusion : If u dont want to niggle over the plastic quality, then rest all factors are very very good. its a total VFM and a best buy in its class. i am sure TATA will get in the 4X4 variant in future.
please check the link below and download the E-Brochure from the link below and u will find what it offers. a best VFM
Home

Thanks and do reply.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd February 2008 at 22:18.
Old 22nd February 2008, 21:56   #148
Senior - BHPian

[quote=amit_mechengg;732403]continued....

Nice report Amit

keep giving more and more infor on the vehicles
Old 22nd February 2008, 21:57   #149
Senior - BHPian

what more to say!

ALL HAIL THE GRANDE!

amit, great review & you are one lucky .......!
Old 22nd February 2008, 22:08   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

More like

Safari : Liked by many due to puberty car crush
Scorpio : Kick in the backside for Safari
Sumo Grande : Natural born killer of the Safari, Scorpio, Tavera and Innova.

Great interior, exterior much more butch than the Safari and similar to Scorpio. Combined with the price this is going to give the Safari and Scorpio brand managers nightmares.

Last edited by bigman : 22nd February 2008 at 22:11.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks