Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2008, 21:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Sumo Grande - will it Kill Scorpio ?

Team BHPians let everyone know who is the best in MUV and by seeing the Tata's coming up with NEW Sumo Grande, Xenon and the X2 in future the TATA are the best and Mahindra is going to sink in all ways.

According to me Sumo Grande will make Mahindra Scorpio( ) Sink single handedly

What do u all say???

Start Posting guys....................

Shogun
Samurai
Maruti Omni
Maruti Esteem
Tata Safari (In Line on Jan 27th)Waitingggggggggggggg
Old 13th January 2008, 22:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Sumo grande is set to compete Chevrolet tavera and mahindra bolero not mahindra scorpio,even safari cant beat scorpio in sales figures.
Old 13th January 2008, 23:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yea ! I too agree with anshuman about Scorpio and its sales compared to Safari. i think Tata vehicles in particular Safari's services and parts are expensive compared with Mahindra's and thats what my cousin who owns a Safari cribs about.Well ! we have to wait and watch about Sumo Grande.
Old 13th January 2008, 23:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

we will have to wait and watch. more than Scorpio I think Grande will eat into the Safari's pie.
Old 13th January 2008, 23:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Not my choice of how to proceed.

If I was still ruler of the known universe (I took early retirement, bad benefit package), I would not have changed the old Sumo's sheet metal. I would have upgraded the mechanicals via options. The old Sumo was a good seller for Tata even last year. I would have added a 4x4 option and I would have tweaked the suspension and provided for an optional up-scale interior. The old Sumo, the 3.0L Spacio and newer Victa DI turbo, were great, cheap people movers with tough components, great driving position and wonderful simplicity. The new Grande? Dunno. Certainly is more expensive. We shall see.
Old 13th January 2008, 23:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

No way will the Sumo kill the Scorpio, the Scorpio is doing pretty well, and only Tata's Safari can unshake it. However even after the 2.2 its not been able to. Once the X2 is out then Tata might take the lead.

I dont know but the Sumo doesnot look that well propotioned, the rear looks too heavy. The interiors are not near the Scorpio's by any standards.
Old 13th January 2008, 23:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

They should have launched 2 variants of Sumo, one for taxiwallahs and another stylish one for private buyers.

Right now the Grande 2.2 is compatible to the Hawk 2.2, much much cheaper.
Old 13th January 2008, 23:39   #8
Team-BHP Support

We consider Scorpio as SUV and Sumo as MUV, and that both cannot affect the other.

However, i have seen people buy Scorpio because they wanted a tough vehicle which could seat more than 5 occasionally (Safari has jump seats at rear, and Innova is priced higher). Scorpio's are also used by Taxiwallahs in good number. I havent come across too many people who buy Scorpio for its off-road abilities.

Wont the new Sumo influence these people? From pics, it seems it can carry people in good comfort, even in third row.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th January 2008 at 23:40.
Old 14th January 2008, 00:01   #9
BHPian

I don't think Sumo Grande is going to affect either scorpio or safari.

Its more of an MUV. It will eat into the share of tavera. and Innova. However the private ownership of innova would still be unaffected or marginaly affected. So its going to be choice of call center cabs and taxis . (something it was before the innova came in)
Old 14th January 2008, 01:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

This will go head to head with the Mahindra Ingenio.
Old 14th January 2008, 03:26   #11
BHPian

Sumo replacing scorpio?? No way man. No way.

But that Xenon XT can definitely take on Scorpio GetAway. But do we have any numbers on how many Getaways Mahindra is selling?
Old 14th January 2008, 09:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

looking at the style of sumo grande i dont think it can ever beat the scorpio's brute looks

the new sumo has a pretty soft roader kind of look which may not appeal to somebody who likes strong looking SUVs

so like mentioned above it might cut into tavera's market

ofcource it might have some effect in the market of scorpio,but i dont think scorpio has to worry about it

Last edited by AMATMO : 14th January 2008 at 09:53.
Old 14th January 2008, 10:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
we will have to wait and watch. more than Scorpio I think Grande will eat into the Safari's pie.

I agreee with you, ashutoshb, I think it will eat a bit into the Safari's sale, rather than affect Scorpio. The Scorpio has an image which will not be affected by the Sumo Grande.
Old 14th January 2008, 10:23   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmay_ambre View Post
Sumo replacing scorpio?? No way man. No way.

But that Xenon XT can definitely take on Scorpio GetAway. But do we have any numbers on how many Getaways Mahindra is selling?
I think Scorpio getaway has gone the telcoline way,i have seen just 2-3 vehicles on the road.
Old 14th January 2008, 12:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Both are in different vehicles. Scorpio will mostly compete with Safari. The sumo grande will compete with tavera. If you ask me it may give competition to innova/tavera etc .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks