Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2008, 10:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Endeavour 4x4 to come with new 3 litre engine!

Guys, I'd posted this in another thread yesterday -

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
OK Rippergeo & Joshdrive, got some news that I thought I'd share with you guys. We'd booked a 4x4 Endeavour for our MD & were expecting delivery (after an inordinately long waiting period) at the end of this month.

This morning, the dealer called us to say that the present engine was being discontinued & a new 3 litre engine was being launched - pricing was supposed to be announced around the 20th and the earliest that we could now hope to get delivery (if we decided to go for the new version which would obviously be more expensive) would be end-Feb or March.

Doc Ripper, what have they told you about delivery? Joshdrive, have you bought it already?

Any other Tbhpians with any concrete info?
So Joshdrive made enquiries with his dealer & came back with the information that no such new engine was on the cards & his car was to be delivered mid-Feb. Now, that cheesed me off no end so I called the dealer here this morning & took his pants off asking him why he was mis-informing.

He was very clear & held his ground - all 4x4s are going to henceforth come with a 3 litre engine & there are no current inventories of 4x4. On my asking him how the hell Chennai guys were getting delivery, he promised me to check with the regional Sales Manager of Ford India & revert back to me (I'm waiting).

In the meantime, I called up my contact at Harpreet Ford workshop & asked him to check it out for me. He's just called back confirming that no 4x4s are being delivered in Delhi at the moment - a new 3 litre engine is to be plonked in the 4x4s & deliveries of these cars will start in the NCR around end-Feb or early-March.

He doesn't have specs at the moment. As & when I hear back about the specs & prices, I'll let you guys know. Rippergeo, I seriously think you should grab your dealer & get the new one - no replacement for displacement you know
Old 15th January 2008, 10:50   #2
BHPian

I did a market research for Ford before the launch of Fiesta. Our research showed that even though a regular Ford customer was happy with the product, most of them complained of very poor service.

I guess you are another one of them.

Hope things improve.
Old 15th January 2008, 11:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

hi,

heard the same thing at the ford dealer in hyd, supposed to be launched in hyd this month end.
Old 15th January 2008, 11:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone have more details about the specifications of the engine?
Old 15th January 2008, 11:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

13hp more

The new Endeavour 3.0 will have 156bhp. If the present engine makes 143hp then in other markets the 2.5makes 143bhp.

so in other markets if 3.0 makes 156, we willl also have 156bhp 3.0 engine.

The specific output drops by around 5.2 bhp/ltr.
i.e. the 2.5 has 57.2bhp/ltr and the 3.0 will have 52bhp/ltr.(both are close approximations).
Old 15th January 2008, 13:07   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Man, SUV's are getting engine upgrades with some frequency. The Endeavour, Safari and Scorpio have had what....like 3 different engines in the last 1 - 2 years? Good news is that each of them has been a step ahead of the previous.

I can just imagine the mega torque from a 3 liter, but do hope they address the problem of the bone-jarring ride. This one factor alone deters a good number of potentials from buying the Endeavour.
Old 15th January 2008, 13:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I can just imagine the mega torque from a 3 liter, but do hope they address the problem of the bone-jarring ride. This one factor alone deters a good number of potentials from buying the Endeavour.
Not to mention their middle / last seat supports
Old 15th January 2008, 14:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Man, SUV's are getting engine upgrades with some frequency. The Endeavour, Safari and Scorpio have had what....like 3 different engines in the last 1 - 2 years? Good news is that each of them has been a step ahead of the previous.

Endeavour is based on Ford Ranger pickup truck,so it comes with leaf spring suspension which may be good off the road but is not home on indian roads,i dont think ford might make major changes to suspension so the ride and low seats will remain.

Last edited by .anshuman : 15th January 2008 at 14:34.
Old 15th January 2008, 14:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

38.74922kgm

Well the engine has rating of 380nm torque.

That is 38.74922KGM.
Old 16th January 2008, 11:34   #10
rippergeo

i was told its a 175 bhp engine and its being launched this month end. but will be available only by april, which means may, june, july, or next year in auto-companyspeak. not willing to wait that long.

also-a larger engine means more cost, more maintenance and less FE(usually)

was told that will cost roughly 3 lakhs more and that the 3 litre model will co-exist with the current model.

i found the 140bhp adequate for the car. I have enough speed in the other 2 carsthat we own. a fast SUV that does not handle is a recipe for disaster. I stick to 140bhp. though 175 sounds delicious.

Old 16th January 2008, 11:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Today i see an Endeavour ad in TOI which mentions 2.5L TDCi engine. What's Ford upto?
Old 16th January 2008, 12:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

it is confirmed that the Endy is coming with a 3.0 I just checked with my cousin who is the head of marketing for Ford North India and he has confirmed this. but he is not sure about the pricing since the company is still working on giving it a competitive tag. but he did say that they are benchmarking the OTR of teh CRV. So we can expect ~ 19LOTR for this.....way too expensive IMHo, but then, the CRV sells like hot cakes
Old 16th January 2008, 12:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
So we can expect ~ 19LOTR for this.....way too expensive IMHo, but then, the CRV sells like hot cakes
Himanshu, the Endeavour 4x4 is already way above 18 lacs OTR in Delhi so the 3 litre will be more. But as I mentioned in a different thread, looks like Ford will outprice itself if they talk about a 3 lac increase which is ridiculous to say the least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Lol, 3 lacs more for a new powerplant! They've effectively outpriced themselves out of the 4x4 market altogether

Last edited by suman : 16th January 2008 at 12:31.
Old 16th January 2008, 13:24   #14
SUV
BHPian

Isnt the 3.0 TDCI Available in Thailand ... ?? If its the same engine then the power figures are 156 BHP / 380 NM.

Probably they are getting the 5 speed Auto Box, Hence the price increase of 3L.
Old 16th January 2008, 13:34   #15
BHPian

Endeavour is defenitely not doing well in the market. I think just an engine upgrade on the Endeavour is not going to help the model against the many new models entering the market.

And a price hike - would defenitely make matters worse for Endeavour.

Most Viewed