Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2008, 15:47   #1

New Swift with LPG kit Pros & Cons

Hi BHPians!

I will be taking a delivery of my New SWIFT VXI (Manufacturing - 2008) during the course of next 10 days. It will be single handed driven with the average running will not be more than 30 KMs a day (Max 1000 KMs a month) in Mumbai's suburban bumper to bumper traffic with 100% A/C usage.

Now, with the obvious increase in Petrol price in the month of February, I am considering fitment of an LPG kit from the dealer. I know that yet, MUL does not provide the kit from the factory & it can either be done from their dealer at a price Rs.30000/- or Rs.20000 from local market.

There is much confusion in taking this decision, hoping BHPians will share their opinions with regards to the following points:

1. With the usage pattern mentioned, is it worth making this investment. Of course, I have done my bit of calculation. But want to be doubly sure.

2. Warranty Issues: The dealer says that warranty will be taken OVER by him from MUL, & henceforth for any warranty issues I will have to deal with him directly. I need clarity on what kind of warranty will be completely given up by the MUL & also the pros & cons of getting it done from the dealer. Of course, I would avoid going to the local market

3. I have been told by an acquiantance that an LPG fitted Swift gives an average of 15 kpl, which is a bit hard to believe for Mumbai roads. But is it possible even with the best of the drivers??

Would be great to hear the comments of experienced people.

Thanks & Regards

P.S.: BTW, this is my second car; the first one being Indica Diesel
Old 15th January 2008, 19:53   #2
BHPian

Hey nomadictraits,

Yes please check exactly what warranty will be given up by Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadictraits View Post
Hi BHPians!
3. I have been told by an acquiantance that an LPG fitted Swift gives an average of 15 kpl, which is a bit hard to believe for Mumbai roads. But is it possible even with the best of the drivers??
I have 2 cars both running on LPG. The Wagon R Duo and an old Accent. In both I have noticed that the mileage on LPG is about 15-20% less than mileage on petrol. So I would guess for the Swift to get an average of 15 on LPG the mileage on petrol would need to be in the range of 17-18 kpl. Now thats not improbable but I doubt you will get something like that driving in city with 100% A/C.

Also, bear in mind, when I went in for LPG, its price was around Rs. 23/ltr. Now its ~ Rs.34.5 almost on par with Diesel and seems to be rising rapidly (2 months ago it was ~Rs. 28). Also you will loose a lot of boot space if you fit in LPG. So give that a thought too before deciding to convert or not.
Old 15th January 2008, 19:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

At present there is no much difference in running FE cost you can notice between Petrol and LPG since LPG prices have gone up recently, but I don't know about Mumbai.

If you see any one has fitted LPG on Swift and if its from trusted source yes its worth 15kmpl as FE.

If you ask me LPG at present not worth considerring its high cost and for new cars.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 15th January 2008, 20:02   #4
BANNED

Seen issues in MPFI cars running LPG, be careful and get it done by trusted installer, i think Swift Diesel will be better buy for you.
Old 15th January 2008, 20:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

consider changing your car to the Swift diesel if that is possible, it is worth every rupee that is paid extra. LPG as of now seems to be more expensive than diesel.
Old 15th January 2008, 21:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Don't go with LPG.Now the cost is Rs.36.50.u defn get 2 Kms lesser than Petrol mileage.Swift P gets only 12Kmpl with AC so u get Max only 9 Kmpl in LPG.u have to spend atleast 22K for installation and RTO permission.so u can't able to save anything and u lost the driving pleasure too.Power especialy torque will reduce and u can easily feel it.Please think twice and go.I have a WagonR converted to LPG and i get only 9 Kmpl.I advice u to go for Swift Diesel otherwise just use in Petrol Mode.
Old 17th January 2008, 11:20   #7

Righto friends!

Your opnions have been very valuable in re-affirming my decision to not go with LPG kit fitment. Will be opting for Swift VXI in place of VDI purely because of budget constraint.

Anyways, thanks a ton for your time guys.

Regards.
Old 17th January 2008, 23:16   #8
BHPian

LPG is too expensive now. I used to have an LPG car when the price was 25-26 rupees. However the prices will go down for sure in feb/march when winter gets over. The reason for this hike is that LPG is used as a fuel for heating in the north. But i'd rather wait till the price went down..and 30 Km per day doesnt really justify the conversion to LPG.
Old 18th January 2008, 09:03   #9
BHPian

I would say stretch your budget by 50k and buy the LDi, you can always add additional features found on the VDi when budget permits.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks