Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2008, 09:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

M&M to invest Rs 100 cr for M-Hawk upgrade

New Delhi: Auto major Mahindra & Mahindra today said it would be investing an additional Rs 100 crore to upgrade its new diesel engine 'M-Hawk' to make it compliant with US emission norms.

The company, which has earmarked Rs 200 crore for the development of the M-Hawk diesel engine, is working on various upgrades to meet different emission standards such as Bharat Stage IV and Euro IV, besides the US standard - T2B5, the most stringent at present.

"We are working on making the M-Hawk engine T2B5 compliant for the US market in the next one year," M&M president (automotive) Pawan Goenka said at the Auto Expo. He said once the T2B5 compliant engine is ready the company would launch its SUV Scorpio in the US market by the middle of 2009. The 2.2 litre diesel engine, with 120 HP, will have two power upgrades.

M&M started working on the upgradation process nine months back, he said, adding that Bharat Stage IV compliant engine would also be available by April 2010.

Goenka said the M-Hawk engine platform would power the future diesel vehicles from M&M stable. "Typically, an engine's lifespan is between 10-12 years and we will keep developing upgrades on the M-Hawk for future vehicles," he said.

The company has started working on a global SUV that will hit the market by 2010, while the new Scorpio already sports the M-Hawk engine.

Source
Old 17th January 2008, 09:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the info, dadu.

Good to know that more refinements and tweaks are on the way.
Old 17th January 2008, 12:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info Dadu..
Old 17th January 2008, 20:04   #4
BHPian

I just hope that they are not too late. I mean anyway the SUV market is heating up now. Companies are pitching in with their SUV products. Soon if the market heats up, prices are going to drop (I think this will definitely happen for Captiva, Endeavour, Santa Fe). So if Mahindra gets late in introducing the refinements (not only on the engine platform) later, they may lose some market share... no?

btw (OT), I read one user review on carwale.com on Captiva. It stated that FE is 5!!!!
Old 17th January 2008, 20:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmay_ambre View Post
I just hope that they are not too late. I mean anyway the SUV market is heating up now. Companies are pitching in with their SUV products.
Mahindra is making all these investments more for the Scorpio's export potential than Indian.
Old 17th January 2008, 21:24   #6
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Mahindra is making all these investments more for the Scorpio's export potential than Indian.
Yes, this 100 crores is to make the engine euro 4 compliant.

I wish they spent a few Rs to make it more stable, increase legroom and do something about that boxy rear.
Old 18th January 2008, 16:42   #7
BHPian

Instead of spending so much cash on making the car Euro 4 compliant they should have spent a fraction of that on it's looks and features. Looks like Tata may take the crown from Mahindra in the SUV department after all.Their Sumo Grande looks poised to be going places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Yes, this 100 crores is to make the engine euro 4 compliant.

I wish they spent a few Rs to make it more stable, increase legroom and do something about that boxy rear.

Most Viewed