Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2008, 15:22   #1
tez
BHPian

Dicor or Quadra-Jet

Folks, this is not a what car question. As we know tata would be having 2 diesel cars in its stable. One is indica dicor and the other is X1 Quadra-jet. Now as i understand both of the engines are based on common rail technology. What would be the main difference between the engines. Would FIAT engine be better than Tata's one.
Old 17th January 2008, 15:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

DICOR is based on Delphi's technology and Fiat is on DDiS (its own) technology. I think both are same more or less.
Old 17th January 2008, 15:39   #3

fiat engine certainly has an edge over tatas as it is 100 cc less, produces same power, produces more torque and also is quite small in size and weight
Old 17th January 2008, 16:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

According to sales figures and the truth that the quadra would be seen in at least 5 cars shows that its the better option.
Old 17th January 2008, 16:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
Folks, this is not a what car question. As we know tata would be having 2 diesel cars in its stable. One is indica dicor and the other is X1 Quadra-jet. Now as i understand both of the engines are based on common rail technology. What would be the main difference between the engines. Would FIAT engine be better than Tata's one.
If u ask me on a lighter vein -- the Common rails of Fiat (MJD or Quadra Jet) are more common and easier to use than the uncommon Rails (DiCor) of Tata
Old 17th January 2008, 17:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Test drive the Indigo DICOR and then Swift DDiS.
You will find the answer yourself.
Old 17th January 2008, 17:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Of late, I had been interested only in diesels than petrols. I test drove the DICOR and DDiS, Indica TCIC and Logan DLE at the same time. Trust me, I prefer the Logan engine to the others. Was more silent and smooth.

Between DICOR and DDiS, I would choose DDiS as it was more responsive, felt smoother and we know its not very thirsty for fuel. Hope to see a VGT on the DDiS atleast on the SX4.
Old 18th January 2008, 01:38   #8
BHPian

Dicor - good engine. But Multijet/Quadrajet/DDiS/Jet Turbo Diesel(JTD)... you cant question something that has won the best compact diesel engine in the world award for 2005. Couple that to the fact that almost every manufacturer wants that damn thing under the bonnet of their cars, and you know which one is better. Its compact, its got the torque, it makes the cars 'fun to drive' and its super efficient and super reliable.
Old 18th January 2008, 07:41   #9
BHPian

Multijet engine was developed in conjuction with Bosch and FIAT. Who is better ? Bosch only correct ?
Old 18th January 2008, 09:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

You are testing various engines on different frames, their power-to-weight ratios are totally different and is not a true comparison.

I am not saying which is good or bad but just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Of late, I had been interested only in diesels than petrols. I test drove the DICOR and DDiS, Indica TCIC and Logan DLE at the same time. Trust me, I prefer the Logan engine to the others. Was more silent and smooth.

Between DICOR and DDiS, I would choose DDiS as it was more responsive, felt smoother and we know its not very thirsty for fuel. Hope to see a VGT on the DDiS atleast on the SX4.
Old 18th January 2008, 10:26   #11
BHPian

Fiat Multijet (Quadra jet) is a proven technology and definitely superior to the Dicor. That's why Tata has chosen to put this in their Indica which would priced lower than the new Indica.
Old 18th January 2008, 10:32   #12
BHPian

The fiat multijet is a proven one,perhaps the best small diesel right now .As far as dicor is concerned it is too early to give a verdict-moreover when is tata going to launch indica & indigo with the fiat engines-any deadline for that?
Old 18th January 2008, 10:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

i agree, each engine has its advantages. a truck will not need an engine with a high initial pickup, but more as a long running engine.
each has its plus point and negatives. however, as end consumers our primary goal will be to look at NVH levels and refinment.
Old 18th January 2008, 11:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would FIAT engine be better than Tata's one.
Certainly Fiat's little gem is better then Tata's Dicor. The Quadra will revv more freely and higher then the Tata.

Also you cannot judge a engine by the NVH levels. Case in point is going to be the Swift & Palio 1.3 Both having the same engine, the Palio will have better NVH levels. Similarly maybe Logan is better packaged and hence seems to be more quieter.
Old 18th January 2008, 11:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
DICOR is based on Delphi's technology and Fiat is on DDiS (its own) technology. I think both are same more or less.
DDiS is just a name given by Maruti Suzuki. Its not of Fiat.
Fiat refers the same as 'Multijet' eg: 1.3 Multijet, 1.9 Multijet etc

Most Viewed