Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2008, 14:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Now RS25,000 car

150cc.

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News

Move over Nano. 16-yr old makes Rs 25,000 car
Varanasi, January 19
Move over Nano. Here comes “Fame” for just Rs 25,000 assembled together by a 16-year-old.
The car, equipped with a 150 cc four-stroke scooter engine and weighing around 160 kg, was among several products on display today at BHU. Its inventor, class XII student Chandan Kumar, drove all the way here from Azamgarh, about 150 km away, in the green coloured open air, two-seater mini car. He calls it “Fame” and claims “it is small, reliable and the biggest advantage is its price - Rs 25,000”. Chandan said it has four gears and claims it gives an average of 45-50 km per litre and top speed of 80 km per hour. He said he had been working in his father’s garage in Azamgarh for the past three years and assembled the car one piece at a time.

The boy, who has no formal training in the field, said he did not get any outside funding for making the vehicle but is hoping that BHU finances a project to upgrade the model.

“I finished my car two years ago but took time to improve the body and comfort levels. I wish to make it even better than the Nano”. — PTI

Last edited by bigman : 20th January 2008 at 15:00.
Old 20th January 2008, 15:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
“I finished my car two years ago but took time to improve the body and comfort levels. I wish to make it even better than the Nano”. — PTI
I wish him luck with that.

Not bad for a 16 year old and 25k is really amazing though I really doubt he would be able to actually produce the car.
Old 20th January 2008, 15:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

The displacement is smaller than an auto rickshaw.

Anyways, lets congratulate the 16 yr old dude.

I too doubt whether the production model can be priced at 25000, considering we do not even get a 150cc bike at that price.
Old 20th January 2008, 17:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Even if the production model is 50000, tata can hire him so that they can launch the fame as "pico" or "micro"
Old 20th January 2008, 19:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

I wish the boy luck on getting his car on road and some fundings to fulfill his dreams
Old 20th January 2008, 19:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Just making a prototype is OK. But how does he plan to productionize this?

Anyways, Best of luck kid. Hope you will get some sponsor.
Old 20th January 2008, 19:54   #7
BHPian

Is it a car?

Putting four wheels, engine and a steering whell does not make a car. A car needs to have suspensions, shcokers, emission control, safety features etc. to be called a carI wish the boy all the best, hope in future after he complets his studies he joins some major car company or start one of his own.
Old 20th January 2008, 21:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpn View Post
Putting four wheels, engine and a steering whell does not make a car. A car needs to have suspensions, shcokers, emission control, safety features etc. to be called a carI wish the boy all the best, hope in future after he complets his studies he joins some major car company or start one of his own.
If not a car, you can call it a Kart. Rich kids can use this as a kart-racer.

By the way, any pics of this one?
Old 20th January 2008, 22:23   #9
BHPian

Good luck to the inventor. Hope to see this in next Auto Expo
Old 20th January 2008, 22:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Guys give credit where it is due. With limited funds & training, this person has done a fantastic job, hatts off
Old 20th January 2008, 22:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

Its not as per se the "car" this boy has produced. It is about the vision and the desire to innovate that can take this boy places. How many kids of his age think of doing something like this? Thats where he could be different. If he gets sponsorship, may be not to productionize this car but to study further in this field and taken under the wings of a corporate he may prove an asset to this nation's teeming billions.

Another 15 years down the line we may have another Wagh to tell a story with a difference.
Old 21st January 2008, 09:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Zappo here, he should be encouraged and given support to pursue professional education in this path.

His conception might not see the light of commercial production just like the "Jugad" which is being used in many villages as a people carrier using old mahindra chasis and irrigation diesel engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Its not as per se the "car" this boy has produced. It is about the vision and the desire to innovate that can take this boy places. How many kids of his age think of doing something like this? Thats where he could be different. If he gets sponsorship, may be not to productionize this car but to study further in this field and taken under the wings of a corporate he may prove an asset to this nation's teeming billions.

Another 15 years down the line we may have another Wagh to tell a story with a difference.
Old 21st January 2008, 10:38   #13
BHPian

All the best to this kid. I hope people from the car manufacturers take notice of this story and encourage him.

I'm pretty sure most of the people (even the car crazy ones) on this forum were not busy building their own cars in their teens.

Kudos to Chandan Kumar.
Old 21st January 2008, 11:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

i completely agree with Zappo, he should be sponsored for education in the field so that tomorrow he shall be able to make some wonderful automobiles and make india proud. and i am sure he will be able to do so looking at his potential.
Old 21st January 2008, 11:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Good effort. But then a two seater, open-air car ? Wouldn't a scooter whose engine he has borrowed provide the same functionality.

Most Viewed