Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2008, 23:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Palio S10 queries and doubts

hello all,

had a look at an s10 today and i have a couple of doubts.

1. do all s10's have the sachin's signature on the hood?
2. the car is modded with an automech ffe, is that reliable? because, i read elsewhere that ffe is not reliable in the s10.
3. what are the issues that creep up on the s10 in the long run?
4. what are the maintanace issues that are there with the s10?
5. where can i get to see a complete spec sheet of the s10?

regards,
govigov
Old 20th January 2008, 23:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. do all s10's have the sachin's signature on the hood? Yes
2. the car is modded with an automech ffe, is that reliable? because, i read elsewhere that ffe is not reliable in the s10. Never heard so, S10 has the same engine has the 1.6 GTX

What is the asking prize of the car? Which year is it and how many kms has it done. Make sure you check the car properly, usually Palio's loose their clutch after spirited driving so have a check on that.
Old 21st January 2008, 00:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

@BUSA, thanks for that info. i wonder why this one does not have sachin's signature, although it has all the s10 badgings... (the canary yellow, the s10 on the rear pillars, 100 16v on the side, the spoiler, the side skirtings, the fog lamps etc.. )

was there such a version released?

2.3 lacs, 62k on the odo.
Old 21st January 2008, 01:15   #4

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
@BUSA, thanks for that info. i wonder why this one does not have sachin's signature, although it has all the s10 badgings... (the canary yellow, the s10 on the rear pillars, 100 16v on the side, the spoiler, the side skirtings, the fog lamps etc.. )

was there such a version released?

2.3 lacs, 62k on the odo.
the owner probably might not have been a fan of sachin tendulkar or probably found the signature to not hold any significance on the car so might have removed it.its only a decal so its easy to remove.
for a 62k kms done palio,the price is too much...try to bring it down to 1.9-2lacs.
Old 21st January 2008, 01:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

@hell spawn, is it that a 1.6 GTX be kitted to look like a s10?

and how many s10 were made in total?
Old 21st January 2008, 05:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@hell spawn, is it that a 1.6 GTX be kitted to look like a s10?

think 500 or something, not sure.
S10 would also have :
leather steering and gear knob with red sticking
steel exhaust tip.
Sachin signature is just a sticker.
On the rear hatch, there is a stickering in red indicating its a S10.
Why not ask the owner if he has the bat signed by Sachin ?
Anyways price is too high for any part of India.
Old 21st January 2008, 07:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

@dipen, hellspawn and BUSA, the car has got automech FFE, green cotton filter, synthetic oil, all 4 spark plugs replaced, some stabliser bars in the front etc... , the owner said it was done up by raj hingorani from bangy.

I saw the car at night, i was not able to make out the gear knob, however there are some red S10 funda on both the rear pillars, did not notice the one on the boot. and since it has FFE, its got an end can that has the opening that has a dia of about atleast 5 inches.

its got a leather steering alright.
Old 21st January 2008, 08:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
i wonder why this one does not have sachin's signature, although it has all the s10 badgings... )
probably the hatch might have undergone denting and painting work, so ascertain how badly it was dented- looking at innerside of hatch, with all cardboards/padding(if any) removed will reveal any damage due to denting.
When repainted , owner might not have tried hard to find a s10 sachin badge, which i think is difficult to procure outside.
btw, it should be good anywhere between 1.85-2.00L, 2.3 is a bit high. and is it not appropriate to move the thread to
''What Car?" forum?

Last edited by deetee : 21st January 2008 at 08:34. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 21st January 2008, 09:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

@deetee and all,

The asking price now is 2.1 lacs, which i think is ok, considering the mods on the car. i neeed to check and see if the car has been in some accident as you said. how do i go about checking that?

btw, its an 03 model, so its been run for about 4 and half years.
Old 21st January 2008, 10:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
is it that a 1.6 GTX be kitted to look like a s10?

There were 500 S10's made in total. If you want to be sure if the car is actually a S10 then the best way is to see the number of the car on the door and rear hatch. Each of the 500 cars had a metal badge displaying the car number. As in if you got the 353 car out of 500 then you will have metal badges showing 353 on the door.

As for the rest of your questions:

1. do all s10's have the sachin's signature on the hood? Yes.

2. the car is modded with an automech ffe, is that reliable? because, i read elsewhere that ffe is not reliable in the s10. Can't comment on that but why should it be unreliable only on the S10 and not on other cars?

3. what are the issues that creep up on the s10 in the long run? I have a 2003 S10 with almost 61K on the odo. Only issues have been wear and tear items. Still get it checked by a Fiat dealer. S10's are powerful cars and the owners could have abused it.

4. what are the maintanace issues that are there with the s10? None. Changed my original brake pads at over 50,000kms! Pay attention to the electricals and suspension (again because it could have been abused and driven hard)

5. where can i get to see a complete spec sheet of the s10? Difficult as even the owners manual was of the GTX. Still only difference between GTX and S10 is altered gear ratios in S10 to give it better driveablity. I think GTX has overdrive 4 and 5 gears while only the 5th gear in S10 is overdrive.

Last edited by amit : 21st January 2008 at 10:18.
Old 21st January 2008, 10:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

A wild guess is that the hood has been repainted/replaced. Check under the hood once.. Not necessarily an indication of a serious accident, but I would be slightly worried if the hood has been repainted. Not that u shouldn't go in for an accident repaired car (I have), but do buy it at the correct price!

Last edited by spadival : 21st January 2008 at 10:18.
Old 21st January 2008, 10:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
probably the hatch.......looking at innerside of hatch,
sorry, i mistook hood for a hatch.

Quote:
@deetee and all,

The asking price now is 2.1 lacs, which i think is ok, considering the mods on the car. i neeed to check and see if the car has been in some accident as you said. how do i go about checking that?

btw, its an 03 model, so its been run for about 4 and half years.
even if asking price is 2.1, it can still be brought down - consider this:
Because its only 4yrs old, the car -if maintained well- should have a documented service history. If hood is really painted, then probably it could as well be slightly misaligned. So check for uneven gaps between hood and fenders.
Also, if it was badly dented/replaced then certain OEM stickers(like battery inspection instructons etc.,.) which are normally pasted under the hood could be missing. Check this thing with other GTX/S10 owners.

A documented service history adds a lot of value to a used car, because it is you who is going to live with it for next 30-40k kms atleast and hence knowing the previous service history will allow you to plan preventive maintenance.

Also insist on owners manual and check counter foils of service coupons in it- if some denting /replacement work has been carried out in intial months(free/paid services) it might be reflect in counter foils as well.
Old 21st January 2008, 10:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

The car is sep 03, and yes it has a number !!!!! 485/500 !!!
Old 21st January 2008, 11:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

sorry, 436 out of 500 !
Old 21st January 2008, 13:19   #15

Quote:
hello all,

had a look at an s10 today and i have a couple of doubts.

1. do all s10's have the sachin's signature on the hood?
2. the car is modded with an automech ffe, is that reliable? because, i read elsewhere that ffe is not reliable in the s10.
3. what are the issues that creep up on the s10 in the long run?
4. what are the maintanace issues that are there with the s10?
5. where can i get to see a complete spec sheet of the s10?

regards,
govigov
1.Yes but its just a sticker it can be easily removed even my s10 is not having the signatures
2.FFE is not a problem at all, i am also running automech ffe on my s10 for last 2 years not a single issue faced as of now, infact the pick up has increased without any effect on the fuel efficiency
3.Just wear and tear but cant comment much as my car has run only 41k

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks