Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 20:34   #16
BHPian

Folks in the EU would know that the Getz successfully co-exists with the i20 and i30 and what not. It is sold with a 88 horses diesel Crdi + ABS and is just a very decent performer. God knows why Hyundai does not deem fit to put this up into India.
Getz has also managed to launch the Getz cross(as with all things Korean, inspired from another marqee, in this case the VW Polo) and this is a very decent hit. Just perfect for our Indian conditions.

Image:Hyundai Getz Cross AMI.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Wake up Hyundai..
Old 27th August 2008, 11:45   #17
BHPian

During my recent drive to Chennai, saw a few (5 or 6) i20s. They were all under wraps though. They definitely looked bigger than Getz.
Old 30th August 2008, 09:39   #18
BHPian

I own a 2004 Getz 1.3, and recently upgraged my 2003 Santro Xing to an i10 Kappa. I find the Kappa much better engineered than the Getz 1.3. This makes me speculate that the i20 will first be introduced with the Kappa, and later with a 1.4 or thereabouts.

This is because, Hyundai's Chennai plant will be the global manufacturing base for the i20 (just as the case with i10). Getz will be discontinued worldwide, but retained in India with the 1.1 (and maybe expored in small numbers to some small markets in emerging countries).

Hyundai has a history of retaining models that were replaced by newer ones (eg Santro vs i10 and Accent vs Verna). Getz is already a very slow seller, and the sales girl who took care of my i10 purchase said that the i10 has definitely impacted Getz sales (but suprisingly done nothing to the Santro's, which is still going strong!).

The sales girl also suggested that the i20 would be larger than the Getz and thereby, with feature rich, positioned against the Fabia & Fusion.

Conclusion: Getz is definitely being replaced in the international markets by the i20 (just as the Santro aka Atos was replaced by the i10). Chennai plant would be the global manufacturing base for both the i10 and i20, thus being capable of producing all variants sold worldwide. These variants would be offered in the Indian market, albeit with a premium positioning, and alongside the Getz (but most probably not the 1.3). This should actually make a used 1.3 more attractive in the second-hand car market!

naveen.
Old 30th August 2008, 11:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Naveen, Even i have a feeling that Getz 1.1 will continue. As per reports i20 is bigger than Getz. I would have liked i20 to be in the price range of Swift . Then i20 would have had a upper hand with better interior space. If i20 is overpriced then i dont think it ll be a volume seller. Hyundai should nt just look at i20 for exports , they should price it competitively.
Old 4th May 2010, 14:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for revisiting this old thread.
I happen to look at Hyundai India website and to my surprise I don't see Getz listed!!

Did Hyundai retired Getz?
Attached Thumbnails
The future of Hyundai Getz? EDIT : Bye Bye Getz (page 2)-getz.jpg  

Old 4th May 2010, 15:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Yes, they have "killed" it. RIP Getz. One of my favourite hatches.
Old 4th May 2010, 16:02   #22
Team-BHP Support

The diesel was gone initially. Then the petrol was also retried or killed.
Some point in time, I would love to see a trivia on this by Sid !
Old 4th May 2010, 16:25   #23
BHPian

I think the Getz is done. I was in the showroom the week before last, shopping for a Getz 1.1, and the dealer told me that the 1.1 was stopped, and that the only current model was the 1.3. It was offered to me with a significant discount - full option model with lots of goodies for 4.4 L on road. Thank God I didn't take it.

It's a pity though, and a lost opportunity. The problem with the Getz was that it was never exceptional in performance. What they should have done was drop in the 1.2 litre Kappa engine and the 1.4 CRDi into it, and offered it with minimum frills - no ABS, no Airbags, just AC, PS and PW. Worked wonders for the Icon - I see a TDCi every time I turn around. We Indians will buy anything if it has a good engine and gives great mileage.
Old 4th May 2010, 16:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

I feel they should have retained it. A basic model at 3.99 lakhs would have kept the cash registers ringing.
Old 4th May 2010, 16:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I feel they should have retained it. A basic model at 3.99 lakhs would have kept the cash registers ringing.
was one the best hatches, just needed a facelift and sales numbers would have gone right up !!!
Old 5th May 2010, 01:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, Bharat Stage IV signaled the end of Getz's (Petrol variants) journey. The CRDi was discontinued last Spetember / October.

But I wonder why Hyundai did not keep the 1.1 Getz going on - if Santro and i10 can be sold with the 1.1 mill, so can the Getz. Maybe they do not expect the numbers, what with Santro, i10 and i20 doing pretty well for them.
Old 5th May 2010, 01:08   #27
BHPian

Getz was available with a verna engine and was a really VFM performance hatch.Lucky you didnt buy a Getz 1.1.The car is heavy and needs a powerful engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I think the Getz is done. I was in the showroom the week before last, shopping for a Getz 1.1, and the dealer told me that the 1.1 was stopped, and that the only current model was the 1.3. It was offered to me with a significant discount - full option model with lots of goodies for 4.4 L on road. Thank God I didn't take it.

It's a pity though, and a lost opportunity. The problem with the Getz was that it was never exceptional in performance. What they should have done was drop in the 1.2 litre Kappa engine and the 1.4 CRDi into it, and offered it with minimum frills - no ABS, no Airbags, just AC, PS and PW.

Worked wonders for the Icon - I see a TDCi every time I turn around. We Indians will buy anything if it has a good engine and gives great mileage.
Old 5th May 2010, 02:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Getz has been replaced worldwide with i20.
Same happened in India.
Its santro's turn now to bid goodbye, as it has been replaced by i10 (should happen when hyundai launches their 800cc car)
Old 5th May 2010, 02:51   #29
Max
BHPian

i wonder when they will retire ugly accent?

When I was buying car in 2004 I found accent looks very old and boring, I am surprised to see they are still selling it and people are indeed still buying it.
Old 9th June 2010, 13:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
But I wonder why Hyundai did not keep the 1.1 Getz going on
It is just because it is not going to generate any more volumes. After the launch of Figo, Polo, Beat etc., Getz would not have survived. I bought Getz 3 years back because I had very less options. Didn't want to go for Swift. U-VA was a very good choice but A.S.S was a big concern. Not even Palio MJD and Indica Vista were launched at that time. If it was the current scenario 3 years back, definitely I would have thought about different options. But still, I am quite happy with my car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks