Team-BHP - Toyota stops production of the Qualis!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Toyota stops production of the Qualis!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/3466-toyota-stops-production-qualis.html)

Team,

Just heard from a reliable source that Toyota has officially stopped production of the Qualis. While there was speculation from some that Toyota will continue to offer the Qualis to the taxi market etc. and position the Innova as a premium model, this is fantastic news.

Translated : The Innova is here and coming soon. The Innova is going to be an absolute all-rounder - A modern design, huge improvement in refinement, better space utilisation and class leading ride and handling.

The Innova will also appeal to a wide range of market segments through different variants. It looks great and a growing family would not mind having the fully loaded version as a personal car. The base model will of course appeal to utilitarian uses and the taxi market.

Expect the auto mags to have a full road test in the next months issue.

Here are some previous discussions of the Innova on Team-BHP

Innova 1

Innova pics

Innova 3

GTO

Yeah looks good. Much more contemporary.

But the one i'm looking forward to is the Toyota Fortuner. That'll be a stunner.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
Team,

Just heard from a reliable source that Toyota has officially stopped production of the Qualis. While there was speculation from some that Toyota will continue to offer the Qualis to the taxi market etc. and position the Innova as a premium model, this is fantastic news.

Translated : The Innova is here and coming soon. The Innova is going to be an absolute all-rounder - A modern design, huge improvement in refinement, better space utilisation and class leading ride and handling.

GTO

I read this news today in the Economic Times auto section. This draws parallel to the move made by Honda by phasing out the old city when it was a best seller in its segment. Toyota's stand on its move is that it wants to provide the customers the latest model and technology.

This good news . The new Innova is definately a good design and overall a vehicle light years ahead of the boxy Qualis. Last I heard was that the Innova would be launched sometime in March but with the Qualis production ceasing I guess they might prepone the launch..

Dippy

Only question is, will it be able to serve in the same manner as the Qualis? The Qualis was a hardcore people transporter, used as taxis all over the country.

The Innova looks more like a MUV/Station Wagon. Toyota could be looking at a completely diff type of cutomer, with this car.

Innova Tech specs

Shan2nu

Quote:

Only question is, will it be able to serve in the same manner as the Qualis? The Qualis was a hardcore people transporter, used as taxis all over the country.
Shan2nu,

What we look at is just one variant of the Innova. It is quite possible that Toyota will introduce the Innova with various trim levels like they did with the Qualis and how GM did with the Tavera eg: the solid coloured basic Tavera which came without an A/C or power steering or the second variant with just A/C and PS

Like wise the Innova maybe come with a dull grey dashboarad for the taxi operators in a basic version and trim levels get higher as the price goes up. The pics of the Innova we see might be the fully loaded version IMO

Dippy

im upset. i love my qualis. i like this too. dont think i can get this now. sad news but im keeping my car

Quote:

Like wise the Innova maybe come with a dull grey dashboarad for the taxi operators in a basic version and trim levels get higher as the price goes up. The pics of the Innova we see might be the fully loaded version IMO
It's not just the trim level, it's a whole design. Look at it, it's a MUV. it's not meant to be used as a Taxi.

Even if it ends up as a Taxi, it'll prob be picked by hi-fi private companies, rather than your local Taxi-wala.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Even if it ends up as a Taxi, it'll prob be picked by hi-fi private companies, rather than your local Taxi-wala
I don't get it....... the basic qualis seats 10 and costs about 5-6 L. If Toyota can offer a model with the same seating capacity and price, there's no reason taxi-walas won't take it. Add the new shape and engine and its an even better proposition.

Shantanu,

As Mohit and Dippy have said, if the new Innova can do exactly what the Qualis can...and in a much better way (refinement, ride, design etc.), the taxi segment will take to it like a fish does to water.

Taxi wallahs want a performer - They dont care if it looks like a proper MUV or a mixed breed. And as we have seen with recent designs, mixed breeds can be extremely practical, wot?

GTO

I guess only time will tell.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Taxi wallahs want a performer - They dont care if it looks like a proper MUV or a mixed breed. And as we have seen with recent designs, mixed breeds can be extremely practical, wot?
I agree with GTO. Like I said earlier the Tavera in its basic form has found many takers in the taxi business. Those are mainly the first 2 basic models

Dippy

its a great news the indian uv segement is getting advanced,thanks toyota we will get rid of a dated design mated with even more dated engine,what will happen to tavera gm will be shocked.

One of my friends who works for Toyota in Bangalore has informed that the innova will be launched in last week of Feb or Max first week of March with a 2.4L Diesel engine.

Thats a very good news, I have always been waiting for the Innova to go into production. It will leave the compitition in dust in terms of performance and reliability for and by far it will be the best in the segment.