Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2008, 11:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Sigh....we already know that the NHC is not meant for Enthusiasts/Future F1 drivers so why start another thread for it that too based on your friends experience not your own.!!
Old 26th January 2008, 12:06   #17
BHPian

I'll be honest here.
I have been a huge Japanese cars fan ever since i started driving the Carolla, Accord, Avalon etc. Mind you these were all the second hand cars, and what surprised me is even after 10 years these cars worked brilliantly.
And after i drove the 2007 Honda Odyssey for more than 700 miles, my faith in the Honda badge is so high i would pick a Honda car in a heartbeat.
I have been wanting to buy the Honda City for the longest time, but havent been able to since i havent been back home for more than 2 years.
Now when i am thinking about coming home and buy a car,my main requirements are safety,reliability and execllent a.s.s.
When i heard that NHC vtec was being offered with ABS and airbags, i was more than happy to come home and buy the vtec.
I always knew that NHC was overpriced, but i was ready to shell out the extra wad for the peace of mind the Honda badge comes with.
But i just realized that for the same price i can get a Cedia, Innova,( SX4 and a M800), it's just outrageous that Honda is ripping the indian customers off.
I still havent TD'ed he city, but i have TD'ed the CIVIC and i really liked it.
My parents and my fiance have seen the City and they absolutely loved the interiors and my fiance wants me to get the City, while my heart has grown on the Mitsu Cedia.
So what i have concluded is if NHC sells it's bcos of it's "looks" and excellent interiors.
I havent TD'es the GXI or the VTec. But my fiance loves the Honda city bcos of it's looks.

I reallly am not able to come to terms with me spending so much on a Honda City.
But in my honest opinion quality of the Honda cars are unmatched!!!

Right now i am truly confused.
My heart is on a Cedia, but my would be better half likes the NHC

Last edited by carCrazy25 : 26th January 2008 at 12:12.
Old 26th January 2008, 12:17   #18
BHPian

Its true fact that Honda city cars sell more because of Honda badge rather than being a good car worth its price. It for sure is good car but not worth what we've to pay here in India. They are just trying to cheat customers by charging at least 1.5 lack extra. See how TATA is redefining the manufacturing economics and selling price of their cars. And I believe sooner these co's like honda will have to follow the trend else they'll loose customers. Its just my personal opinion dont intend to hurt any ones sentiment or beliefs. Honda big no at price they offer.
Old 26th January 2008, 13:35   #19
Team-BHP Support

one more thing i noticed with the nhc. the bumpers are as thick as the plastic of a bisleri bottle. at a signal a biker touched the car slightly and there was a hole in the bumper.
Old 26th January 2008, 17:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
one more thing i noticed with the nhc. the bumpers are as thick as the plastic of a bisleri bottle. at a signal a biker touched the car slightly and there was a hole in the bumper.
Also if you take a look at any NHC involved in a small shut, with say a bike, the car has major body damages. If this is in interest of pedestrian safety, then Honda motors shoud repair the car free of cost, why penalize the owner for damage repairs?
Old 26th January 2008, 18:14   #21
BHPian

For all those who are talking about performance, this is not only the criteria for the public when buying a car. When I bought my car (NHC) my criteria is to have good space and comfort, good quality,easy to drive in the city and FE. NHC has no match in these parameters. I will not drive more than 80 kmps in city and who cares about the performance in the city. NHC is perfect car in city. For highway driving also NHC's performance is adequate but power shortage can be felt while overtaking at higher gears.

I also don't agree with somebody comment that people are buying the NHC only for its Honda badge. Release the NHC with Suzuki or Huandai badge and see how people will buy the car. I agree that it is overpriced which is only negative point of NHC.
Old 26th January 2008, 18:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think I forgot to make it clear at the beginning. This is about the normal NHC, not the Vtec version.

Also, this thread is not about the price Honda charges for the car. They can price it as high as they want, as long as we are not in a monopoly market, which is not the case here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo
NHC is a passenger car & Honda sells as one.
To all who don their racing gear and get into NHC, can't help
My friend (a tbhp-member, but not very active) is not a performance enthusiast. He is just a normal guy who uses the car for point A to B commute. And that is why I was surprised by his comments on the NHC. If a normal person does not find value in the car, I wanted to know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo
if you want to know about NHC test drive one and find out yourself. Don't say something because somebody's aunt said so.
@diabloo, I was expecting this post from you and that was one of the reasons, I put the disclaimers at the beginning. Looks like you still missed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984
Sigh....we already know that the NHC is not meant for Enthusiasts/Future F1 drivers so why start another thread for it that too based on your friends experience not your own.!!
Because he is not an enthusiast. And still found the car lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow
Also if you take a look at any NHC involved in a small shut, with say a bike, the car has major body damages. If this is in interest of pedestrian safety, then Honda motors shoud repair the car free of cost, why penalize the owner for damage repairs?
Well, if they have done it in the interest of pedestrian safety, they should be commended. If I owned one, I would not have any qualms paying the money for repairs, knowing that this was just so that human lives were saved. Ofcourse it is a different matter that in India, it is mostly bikes or other vehicles that would come in contact with the NHC than humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narasimha raju
25.7 kmpl on highways.
Though this is not about the NHC's FE, but just could not help asking how you manage to get such figures. With my old non-a/c M800, the max I got on highways was like 22-23kmpl.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 26th January 2008 at 18:35.
Old 26th January 2008, 18:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Honda City means City driving, and inspite of it being expensive than Suzuki, Hyundai, and others, it still sells for (a) giving high FE (b) Honda's track record of making cars which are longer lasting and have lower ownership cost (c) their resale value (for this ask a GM or Ford owner).

`City' means City (Honda should have put a disclaimer that a city should mean good roads).
Old 26th January 2008, 18:52   #24

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

It is still surprising to hear people compare the nhc to the ohc.There is nothing in common between the two.the engines are different(even the vtec engine).If people recall the OHC cost close to 10lacs while the NHC costs 7lacs.If you want to make a comparison ,do so ,between the OHC and the Civic because on cost ,these two cars are priced similar.
I have a NHC vtec and i agree it isnt a fun car to drive but somehow i like it.
After driving the SX4 or the siena,whenever i step into the NHC,i feel more relaxed and comfortable.
I am so sure this thread is going to become a Honda NHC bashing thread.
Old 26th January 2008, 18:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

hellspawn - The NHC doesnot cost 7Lacs, maybe ex showroom, but then the OHC 1.3EXi also costed the same and had more power and was more FTD. The Vtec NHC costs similar to what the OHC Vtec costed. Civic costs around 12-13L.
Old 26th January 2008, 19:04   #26
BANNED

T-BHP Law: There must always be thread running against NHC.
Corollary Law: If any existing thread against NHC is closed, automatically another thread starts.

FYI, NHC was launched worldwide in 2002-2003. In India, it completed 4 years last November. Can't believe people still talk about as if its a new car . Search this forum and you will find the car with least problems is NHC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
I am so sure this thread is going to become a Honda NHC bashing thread.
Some thing funny about such threads: Owners are happy and its the non-owners who crib (maybe its the case of grapes being sour).

Last edited by diabloo : 26th January 2008 at 19:14.
Old 26th January 2008, 19:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
T-BHP Law:
Some thing funny about such threads: Owners are happy and its the non-owners who crib (maybe its the case of grapes being sour).
Reminding me of Onida tag line.
Old 26th January 2008, 19:35   #28
BHPian

With 77 BHP, it is obviously not a road burner. But it feels more powerful than the horsepower statistic. In the city, it offers superb driveability though, out on the highway, the performance is only average.

So whats new? For 90% of our car buying public that views the car as an appliance to get them from A - B, the NHC fits in perfectly. Not everyone wants a scorcher.
Old 26th January 2008, 19:45   #29
BHPian

i can't understand the fuss over the NHC not being the "driver's car ", journos crib about it all the time yet it sells , because it isn't meant for the enthusiast driver , me & my family have it for 5 months now(idsi) , its great in traffic (best gear box , i've experienced ), fuel efficient , extremely comfy , fantastic refinement & the best resale value , it dosen't feel underpowered at all , the v-tec is more faster & better in highway but my requirements were a city car which it does perfectly.
Old 26th January 2008, 21:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

there simply has to be a discussion on the NHC !! and thanks to SB to bring it out in a new avatar...

i own a OHC but i hate HONDA for its A.S.S and that has clearly made my decision to stay away from the HONDA brand in India as far as my next car ( dont know when) happens...

ok here is what i feel about honda
pluses
engine - performance, efficiency, longevity
interiors - contemporary - this is applicable to both the OHC and the NHC
quality of interior materials - quite good - i will go GA GA over the quality because i still think there is scope for improvement

minuses

car body- both OHC and NHC are made of toilet paper thickness sheet metal - i have NEVER EVER EVER seen a single OHC without chinks in its body caused by anything from the kid who farted leaning on the car or a puny ant that got swept by wind, hit the HONDA and died of severe head injuries..

A.S.S.- dont need to go into detail on this - it simply su*%$

value - HONDAs in India are defently not value propositions. there is a substantial brand premium we are shelling out - even more than what we pay for a TOYOTA. so they are defently overpriced..

so it finally boils down to individual choices- the car is defently good. so if its ur driver who is going to take the car for service and u dont mind the rip off, and ur ok paying the brand premium, its a good car after all

but for the rest of us, it certainly is not a value buy
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks