Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2008, 00:10   #121
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
It depends, for me I would stretch a bit more and buy a Palio 1.6 Sports!
I would save 1.2 lakhs for petrol and buy a Xeta
Old 16th February 2008, 00:19   #122
BHPian

For all the people who are vouching for Maruti's service and *** I have the following suggestions:
1. Go to the Maruti service centre and ask for the esteem's lever which controls the directions of the blower air. I could neither get it in Rohan Motors Noida and nor any other service centre in Noida. The Rohan Motors Noida people then suggested me to go to some insurance company, find a fully totalled esteem and look for that lever. What crap was this???

2. My dad has a zen. There was some oil leakage. The required nut was never found. Any guesses that how it was fixed??? Feviquick.

Maruti's service quality is not what it used to be. In India, there was a time when the word car was considered to be a synonym of Maruti and that's why some people get hurt when others talk against it. But personally I do feel that Maruti takes its Indian customers for granted otherwise they wouldn't have given SX4 the bonnet that it has... :-)
Old 16th February 2008, 00:24   #123
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
But personally I do feel that Maruti takes its Indian customers for granted otherwise they wouldn't have given SX4 the bonnet that it has... :-)
What is it about the SX4 bonnet?
Old 16th February 2008, 00:54   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
What is it about the SX4 bonnet?
The gap with the body. It looks so clumsy. The rear is ok but the front is simply disgusting
Old 16th February 2008, 08:28   #125
Senior - BHPian

Ayyayyoooo...i think i made a mistake. Maybe i should sell my Adventure and Persuade my dad to sell the Fusion too and probably buy a couple of maruti Swifts and SX4s!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys Every vehicle is good for something or the other. One thing i dont understand is that what is this about Maruti's and Fiats always. Has it got something to do with the sour grapes!!!! (from both sides of course).

Last edited by gemithomas : 16th February 2008 at 08:29.
Old 18th February 2008, 18:22   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
You pay around 4.5 lacs for a Swift (P), and what you get is rattles all over the body!
finney, are you talking from personal experience as in being driven around (or driven) in a Swift that rattles all over ? Or just mentioning hearsay ?

I have read here about Swift owners posting about rattles. So obviously there is/was rattle issues with the car, though the extent is debatable.

Every month for a few days, I drive my Dad's ZXi and I am yet to hear a single rattle anywhere. Maybe it was an issue only in the initial lot of cars and Suzuki fixed it in the later batches. Or my Dad was plain lucky. Dont know.

And BTW during one of our tbhp-chennai meets, we had the owner of a new Palio complaining of rattles. So, we thought we would do some investigation and asked him which part rattles. He said it rattles all over the car. Does this mean the Stile is junk ? I would think it is a one-off case.

Anyway, I hate the Swift for other reasons, mainly driveability. The Esteem engine is fun in an Esteem, but with the extra weight of the Swift, it sucks (constant gear-changing etc). But then I am comparing it with my Baleno, so not an apple-to-apple comparo here.
Old 19th February 2008, 01:03   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Fully agree! Thatz what I say about Palio too, instead of cursing Fiat for Service etc, look at the Car and appreciate its features & VFM it offers!

It depends, for me I would stretch a bit more and buy a Palio 1.6 Sports!
Wouldn't you wiegh
1. The extra 3 km per litre FE with the Swift?
2. The Very good Resale value of Swift? Palio is no good in resale value.
3. The Wide-Spread Maruti A.S.S. Network?
4. The Sad A.s.s. of FIAT?

The 1.6 is definately a very good car, & I am a Palio lover as well.
I am going to Buy a Palio 1.6 (or Palio MJD-if launched in next 2 months) very soon, but I am buying it only because of my love for that car.

I strongly believe that Rational thinking would definately weigh Swift higher than the Palio.
Old 19th February 2008, 08:43   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Wouldn't you wiegh
1. The extra 3 km per litre FE with the Swift?
2. The Very good Resale value of Swift? Palio is no good in resale value.
3. The Wide-Spread Maruti A.S.S. Network?
4. The Sad A.s.s. of FIAT?

The 1.6 is definately a very good car, & I am a Palio lover as well.
I am going to Buy a Palio 1.6 (or Palio MJD-if launched in next 2 months) very soon, but I am buying it only because of my love for that car.

I strongly believe that Rational thinking would definately weigh Swift higher than the Palio.
Yes. Rational Thinking will definitely weigh a Maruti vehicle above the Palio. Its not time to talk about the stile. But let me just share a few things about older FIATs(I guess its that sentiment that spills over to the Stile right now since its too early for long term reviews).

Lets go back to the begining of the 1990's. FIAT came up with somethind ugly that they called UNO. It gave us class beating handling, interior space, Boot space, Engine Refinement. The Ride comfort was something we had never experienced. We never knew what stone gaurds were and they gave it to us. It was a Completely knocked down unit (the initial lots atleast) and still FIAT gave it to us at around Rs.4.50 OTR. The main competitors in this segment was the Maruti Zen initially and Wagon R at a later stage which was skimpy on even the hard board that covered the inside of the boot door.

WE expected a 1.2 engine to be as fuel efficient as the 1.1 and 800cc engines. We expected a more than one ton car to perform just as an under 1ton car in terms of acceleration and F.E. Well. FIAT never made us think about these aspects. And i guess thats why they have failed. Its only the owners who swear by FIAT. All others look at it with fright.

If i talk about the things that the Palio had it would take eternity. THe problem with FIAT was that they never knew how to market their product. The Quality aspect never clicked in our mind. MAruti promoted features. Just as it is doing with the SX4. All magazines will tell you about the poor quality and cheap feel of plastics. FIAT just made good products. They never knew what to do after that. I guess its a perfect example for the difference between "selling" and "marketing" with Maruti being the leaders in the latter. And i guess thats exactly why our rational thinking points towards the Maruti.

Last edited by gemithomas : 19th February 2008 at 08:46.
Old 19th February 2008, 09:47   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Have you looked at the specification and Features list of these cars. You will know why i feel its overpriced. Though you dont need to drive every car to know its worth, i've driven both. I never said they are not capable cars. I just said the LDi and VDi are overpriced. In the meanwhile. HAve you driven the Indica DiCOR? No I'm not trying to irritate you. seriously Just have a look. Its worth the experience.
Indica Dicor might be good. BUt Swift D is way better in every aspect.
for the perfomance and A.s.s any one would go for the swift D. only
if they rectify the Delivery period.
Old 19th February 2008, 10:29   #130
girishbhat

Another attempt by Fiat...!!???

Fiat plans to bring Alfa Romeo to India by 4th quarter of 2008 - Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Old 19th February 2008, 11:53   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
THe problem with FIAT was that they never knew how to market their product. FIAT just made good products. They never knew what to do after that.
Rather well put words from a FIAT lover, though it is not only about "Marketing". For me, FIAT knows only to make automobiles. The did pretty well during the time when all cars were "Black".

FIAT was founded in 1899 and their first factory was opened in 1900. Are they still learning what to do with their cars?

I am waiting for the day when FIAT is taken over by TATA. Won't take long
Old 19th February 2008, 12:02   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
I am waiting for the day when FIAT is taken over by TATA. Won't take long
You mean, Fiat India? yes, It is a strong probability and good for both of them. But I doubt that this will happen in the near future as TATA is going to take over Land Rover and Jaguar and TATA having sufficient money to take over Fiat India/World wide. Fiat is not a small company world wide and it has roots in almost all automobile companies in Italy.

-BSR
Old 19th February 2008, 13:25   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rao_battula View Post
You mean, Fiat India? yes, It is a strong probability and good for both of them. But I doubt that this will happen in the near future as TATA is going to take over Land Rover and Jaguar and TATA having sufficient money to take over Fiat India/World wide. Fiat is not a small company world wide and it has roots in almost all automobile companies in Italy.

-BSR
Rightly said..... It is not easy to buy FIAT worldwide... It is not a small subsidiary... Even taking over FIAT India in near future looks a bit difficult unless Linea and Grande Punto fails miserably.. Only then FIAT might think of getting out of India by selling its Indian arm...
Old 19th February 2008, 13:45   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
There are shortcomings of every car. Please understand. No need to highlight one weak point and bash a few cars. Instead see what points make up for it. Read the new team-bhp reviews. I'm sure you will get many positive points for most Maruti cars.

I said the newer cars from Maruti. Please read my post. SX4 and Swift are the cheapest cars in their segments to provide Airbags, ABS. This is what I meant by awesome ability to protect passengers. Just because the body sheet metal is thinner does not mean that they are not safe. Safety means the strength of crumple zones and the safety features.

Please don't compare the foreign version against the one in India. This is true with most cars.
Well newer cars from Maruti are safe? How do you trust them for that? 8 of their 11 cars are potentially unsafe on the roads with no data to talk about their safety. You dont even get a rear demister on a Swift VDi, you think Maruti waste their time on getting the crumple zones right!? Maruti is taking its customers for granted. IMO its absurd to beleive a manufacturer who has never ever cared about safety standards in their products!

Quote:
Maruti offers breakdown service. Am not sure whether you are aware of this. They will come to the place of the breakdown on one call. And good service is good service. It is not like it applies to 800 and Alto only and not to Swift and SX4.
Well read this post!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post705455

Dude! Sticking break down stickers on the windshield doesnt mean that you would get a break down service! It just means NOTHING to Maruti! I personally experienced it! I dont care if you are not going to beleive it!

I feel you look at a lot of workshops which has the "Maruti Authorised" painted. Try giving your Swift to them for any maintanence and then post a thread here about the A.S.S of Maruti!

Quote:
I don't say that Maruti cars offer highest quality. But they are of the highest quality for what you pay. Now thats VFM. Please try to understand my point. If you cannot understand Math, I'm sorry, I cannot help you. As I told you earlier, every car has its share of problems. No car is perfect.
Dude! I understand that this is not the first time you are looking at a car. But what do you mean by highest quality for what you pay!?

After paying 5.5 Lacs you get a hatchback, with minimum boot space, rattling and poor quality interior and if its a Diesel you dont even get a rear demister.

For a Palio1.6 you pay 4.7 Lacs and you get hatchback with good boot space, sturdy built car, powerful and reliable engine, decent quality of interiors though they are outdated, proven safety for passengers. Refer to a user group in Yahoo of Palio Owners, you would get a feel of how safe a Palio is though it lacks electronic aids for safety!

Which one is VFM? Is Swift a complete VFM package!?
Old 19th February 2008, 14:27   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
8 of their 11 cars are potentially unsafe on the roads with no data to talk about their safety.
As I told you earlier, I agree with older cars. But see what people have done! Swift VXi is best selling when we have the ZXi (No ZDi variant at all :( ). I would blame the aam junta's ignorance here rather than blaming Maruti. They are only selling what people want to buy.

Quote:
Well read this post!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post705455

Dude! Sticking break down stickers on the windshield doesnt mean that you would get a break down service! It just means NOTHING to Maruti! I personally experienced it! I dont care if you are not going to beleive it!

I feel you look at a lot of workshops which has the "Maruti Authorised" painted. Try giving your Swift to them for any maintanence and then post a thread here about the A.S.S of Maruti!
You get some bad workshops and dealers everywhere

Quote:
Dude! I understand that this is not the first time you are looking at a car. But what do you mean by highest quality for what you pay!?

After paying 5.5 Lacs you get a hatchback, with minimum boot space, rattling and poor quality interior and if its a Diesel you dont even get a rear demister.

For a Palio1.6 you pay 4.7 Lacs and you get hatchback with good boot space, sturdy built car, powerful and reliable engine, decent quality of interiors though they are outdated, proven safety for passengers. Refer to a user group in Yahoo of Palio Owners, you would get a feel of how safe a Palio is though it lacks electronic aids for safety!

Which one is VFM? Is Swift a complete VFM package!?
Arey yaar, when did I compare a Swift with a Palio? I only was trying to deny when people tell that Swift is not good. Palio is excellent VFM. No denying on that. Loosing on mileage slightly for good performance is acceptable. But resale is poor. Thats where it looses. If you pay a lac less and get 2 lacs lesser when you sell(compared to the competition, that is), then you obviously lost a lac right? It is a great car when you buy with your heart. But when you want to change cars often and your head says no to the lesser resale, then Swift scores higher here.

Agreed with your point that we get minimum boot space, rattling and poor quality interior on the Swift. But there is no denying that we get a good looking car(subjective), great handler, good pick-up, MAruti A.S.S, good F.E and good resale value. Rattling also is not very consistent. I only heard the first rattle after the 10000km mark and after my third service. And it rattles on very bad roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks