Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2008, 22:20   #76
BHPian

That is a great news. Hopefully they will not compromise on quality and reliability on this equipments for the sake of reducing cost and to offer it on all models...
Old 23rd February 2008, 22:24   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
I don't think anybody will object it as long as it comes as a standard fitment
I'm not too big a fan of airbags myself. If you wear your seatbelt, you'll likely be saved. And if you don't, airbags won't help. Not the seat-facing ones atleast, maybe the curtain/window airbags might. But it's bloody expensive to replace them.
Old 23rd February 2008, 23:08   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Can abs be retrofitted on an Indigo Marina? if yes any approximate cost of doing so?
No it cannot be retrofiited yet
Old 24th February 2008, 02:28   #79
BHPian

I think this news about Tata's making ABS/Airbags standard, is from a very long-term perspective. As the recently launched Indigo CS and the to-be-launched/just-launched Sumo Grande do not have ABS/Airbags on any variant, let alone as standard fitment!

Last edited by spindoc : 24th February 2008 at 02:29.
Old 24th February 2008, 05:58   #80
Senior - BHPian

well there is one point i want to make here!, you see when the sales guy at a showroom promotes the TEFLON coat saying it will protect the paint many do go for it!. even if they do not know the brand or the material used to make the car shine, and most of the time these guys give them a car wax that is actually cheaper and loot them(i am saying this after looking at these products at many showrooms i am not pin pointing any particular manufacturer its dealers who do this).

But still the junta just spend because they think it really protects the paint! at me and KKR2K2 have checked at few show rooms and were surprised that they use wax and the person who polishes did not know this until we asked him to get the bottle for the brand name!

and if advertised properly people at least most of them would not mind paying the extra amount for the ABS and AIRBAGS! and imo they might just go with the prefixed notion that tata provides these at nominal prices(which tata might be providing of that i am not sure) and this might just boost the car sales a little more!

now that has been the companies advantage and this actually does help save lifes so kudos to TATA if they are seriously implementing this!

Last edited by rider60 : 24th February 2008 at 06:05.
Old 24th February 2008, 13:40   #81
BHPian

Its about time

You know, its about time a manufacturer introduced these safety features as standard.

Its said that when giving these features as "Options" for an extra cost, indians have just ignored this and gone on to save a few bucks at the cost of safety.

Providing this as standard just takes that option out of the buyers hands and enforces a higher safety standard.

Hopefully MUL and other will also follow suit.

Will these features be introduced in the new Indica V3 - The one with the Multijet inside it? I hope it is!
Old 24th February 2008, 15:02   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
But it's bloody expensive to replace them.
expensive than a human life?

Well at higher speeds the seat belts alone can't help you, something needs to prevent you from banging your head,
The curtain aribags will help during a side impact or roll over, and the front airbags helps in a frontal collission, which is a greater percentage of any accident
Old 24th February 2008, 16:44   #83
BHPian

when is the new indica v3 with abs and airbags start production
Old 24th February 2008, 17:53   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
when is the new indica v3 with abs and airbags start production
The New Indica V3 will use the Quadra Jet engine aka MJD from Fiat. It will have ABS and Airbags and will be launched later this year.
Old 25th February 2008, 02:29   #85
BHPian

I am not sure how realistic it is, I am unable to see this strategy in Sumo Grande, which is just launched!!!
If not for Grande than when??? in Nano :-)
Old 25th February 2008, 11:20   #86
Senior - BHPian

I think it would be made a norm by ARAI to have abs and airbag standard for all cars in india like the HLLD.Head Lamp Leveling Device started comming standard in all cars after a small interval of time of introducing the norm.
Hope it will be the same for abs and airbag.
ram
Old 25th February 2008, 11:43   #87
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I'm not too big a fan of airbags myself. If you wear your seatbelt, you'll likely be saved. And if you don't, airbags won't help. Not the seat-facing ones atleast, maybe the curtain/window airbags might. But it's bloody expensive to replace them.
Would you rather drive around with the risk of breaking your head OR forking out $$$$$ for an airbag? Also note that the cost of airbags will eventually come down with mass production.

I just read in the Times of a nasty Skoda accident that took place in Delhi last night. Only the front seat passengers were saved, due to the airbags popping out. Rear benchers died on the spot.
Old 25th February 2008, 12:05   #88
BHPian

i agree wholeheartedly. just as seat belts became mandatory and every tom dick and harry then just HAD to comply, airbags and abs needs to come out of the realm of 'luxury' add ons and just be made standard equipment.

even if it means a 15-20k hit in the short term - it will save lives, make the roads safer for pedestrians as well as passengers and be the responsible thing to do, for educated / law abiding / forward thinking individuals.

similarly, people need to educate themselves about car seats for their children, but - thats for another thread !!!

cheers
Old 27th February 2008, 02:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
expensive than a human life?

Well at higher speeds the seat belts alone can't help you, something needs to prevent you from banging your head,
The curtain aribags will help during a side impact or roll over, and the front airbags helps in a frontal collission, which is a greater percentage of any accident
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would you rather drive around with the risk of breaking your head OR forking out $$$$$ for an airbag? Also note that the cost of airbags will eventually come down with mass production.

I just read in the Times of a nasty Skoda accident that took place in Delhi last night. Only the front seat passengers were saved, due to the airbags popping out. Rear benchers died on the spot.
Can someone point me out to a study that conclusively proves that airbags with seatbelts on are more helpful or lifesaving than just seatbelts, in case of frontal impact?

GTO, rear benchers died because of the Diana effect i.e. no seatbelts. All I've seen so far is evidence that airbags save you IF you don't wear your seatbelt.
Old 27th February 2008, 05:52   #90
BHPian

V1p3r, search youtube for crash test videos. You wont need any other studies to prove that Airbags + Seat belt combination is a good recipe. Remember, seat belt worn over shoulders will only restrain your body, not your neck and head which will swing forward during high speed impact..

Most Viewed