Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 11:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
If they have such an engine, why is the 800 so bloody underpowered? there must be a reason why they dont use that.
Suzuki has been using that for a long time now on the kei cars in japan. Maybe we don't deserve them !!
Old 5th February 2008, 11:12   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
And for the roads and traffic ?
Sure; what is currently a pain will become a struggle. This is really the marker of how unable,unwilling or incapable the government is in keeping itself up with the pace of Indian industry.
Old 5th February 2008, 11:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

We shall say, One More Down!! Since Tatas showcased the Nano, every other Manufacturer has been announcing their plans to develop such a car. At last the Big Daddy of Indian Auto Industry takes the plunge. Poor Mr. Suzuki, will have some tough questions when he officially announces the plans.

Moral of the story: Never ridicule others!
Old 5th February 2008, 11:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
If they have such an engine, why is the 800 so bloody underpowered? there must be a reason why they dont use that.
Those 6xx CC engines are turbo charged.
Old 5th February 2008, 12:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hipocratic Suzuki!

Suzuki's hipocracy is exposed now. Suzuki were the most vehement opponent of Tata'a small car project. And now Suzuki announces its own version of small car. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. But Suzuki have lot of answering to do. They questioned safety aspects of Nano. Well, how much safety does their Omni van, which costs twice as much as Nano, offers.
Old 5th February 2008, 12:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Cervo with 660cc is 54 bhp without turbo. With turbo its 60bhp. Should be a great engine for fuel efficiency and emissions.
Old 5th February 2008, 12:17   #22
BHPian

does it mean that 800 will be phased out,as the new car would have all the basic features.(what we get in a std. model of 800)??
Old 5th February 2008, 12:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

They should phase out 800. The new nano competition is not the Cervo. But the Cervo does look cool (little like a smaller Fit)
Old 5th February 2008, 12:37   #24
BHPian

Complete U Turn. We cannot match Nano wrt to safety, cost etc. was the statement made by Suzuki. and now they announce that could do this at 1.5L. Why don't they just lower the price of M800. Guess that still would not match up to cute Nano. Let's wait and watch...
Old 5th February 2008, 12:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

hey guys i have seen the nano very closely, seen it on road tests, had a seat in it. believe me its a lottery in 1 lac. plastic feels cheap but better in looks than the outdated boxy dashboard of maruti 800. 3 people can seat more easily in rear of NANO than in Maruti 800. legroom is also more. Mainly the overhead space. its amazing.its likke the tall boy. Also the doors open at almost 85 degrees making the entry and exit very comfortable.
u can also keep small luggage at rear. in the front hood u have the petrol lid and the spare tyre and the tool kits. the overall exterior finish is good and the looks are very trendy. 623 all aluminium pressure die casted engine delivers 33 horse power as againt 800 cc that gives 37 HP. dont know whether maruti converted those difference 177 cc into donkey rather than horses.
also the mileage onroad will be more than 800.Also parts will be damn cheap.
Old 5th February 2008, 12:48   #26
BHPian

Ot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Nano effect has had everyone from Bajaj to Hyundai to Renault to Maruti announcing their plan of 1.5 lac cars!

The Nano may make business sense...yes, but patriotism has surely been a driving force for the Tata team.
Yes here in Bahrain too the phirangs and we hindustaani have a bashing on the local newspaper Mailbox - the NANO effect.

The phirangs are out with all cons, like a million cars = million ton of CO2 then global warming etc etc.

to it our hindustaani replied million ton CO2, global warming = khalliwalli (meaning not my problem attitude) and if mother earth wishes it can just turn earth around and clear the mess like Men in Black last scene.

There is a lot of patriotism in NRI's and a small survey done at two hypermarkets in Bahrain showed 98% of 500 NRIs aged 18 and above would love to own a Nano with 75% looking to do the daily tasks like dropping kids to school, market etc
females topped the potential buying segment.
Old 5th February 2008, 13:49   #27
BHPian

Newspaper reports say two things are fixed. The 660cc engine and the cost to 1.5 lacs (excluding Insurance).

So, what the heck was Suzuki/Maruti doing all these years? No matter who the player is (how big or small, how long or short they are in the market), they all needed this prick (in the name of Nano) to "care" for the people suddenly.

It's now like Nano has opened another market in which every other player wants a pie. Suddenly, everything is feasible once again
Old 5th February 2008, 13:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

I would be happy if they can give the 800 A/C for 1.5 lacs OTR and the Alto Lxi for 2.5-2.75 lacs OTR.
Old 5th February 2008, 14:09   #29
BHPian

i'll put my money on maruti. it's going to win the reliability test for sure. what worries me is the number of one lakh cars that are going to flood the market. fuel prices are surely going to sky rocket. also price of two wheelers are going to drop drastically which will mean more two wheelers on the road as well!
Old 5th February 2008, 14:13   #30
BHPian

i would rather say that they make the ALto or this new version a green car i.e LPG/CNG. adding one more petrol car, would just creat more emissions. I personally won't mind getting a factory fitted CNG ALto for a day to day city use

Most Viewed