Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2008, 00:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I would like to see them produce something squat ugly with uni-body construction, door hinges on the outside, bolt on headlights and tail lights, a 1800cc crdi diesel, Two pieces of heavy gage sheet metal for front and rear bumpers, good ground clearance. Defogger, AC + heater + power steering + FOUR WHEEL DRIVE should be optional. A larger scale gypsy kind of vehicle with a diesel if you please, 6.5 lakh fully loaded - 4.5 lakh with no options. I do not think a Daihatsu Terios type vehicle is needed or marketable INSIDE India. I think they need to wait and see how their Scorpio does in North America before they try to compete by creating an exportable small UV or SUV ala Daihatsu Terios. Just my two rupees worth of opinion here.
We still don't know what type of customers Mahindra is targetting.

If its for the urban population, the MUV will have to better atleast the hatches, in terms of stlye, space, comfort and that upmarket feel.

And if its rural.. just to ferry people, a four door invader will do fine, thank you!
Old 8th February 2008, 17:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

We are talking UVs here, not cars or compact SUVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Sub 4 lakh UV. 800-1200 cc. Five seater. Great idea.

Mahindra, take a tip from this:

This is Daihatsu Terios, a compact SUV
I dont think the Terios can be compared to UV : this is a compact SUV, which is more car-like than UV-like. They defintely wouldn't be able to produce something like the Terios for under 4-lakhs, and it wouldn't be a sturdy UV anyway.

Probably something based on the Invader platform, with 4WD option would fit the bill perfectly.
Old 27th September 2009, 00:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ok.. I was thinking that Mahindra might have put this project on hold, but ACI's October edition has this piece of news:

Quote:
M&M is developing a mini-SUV (code: S101) that will be under four metres in length and with a sub-1.5 litre diesel engine to qualify as a 'small car' which attracts only eight percent excise duty. M&M feels that a new class of mini-SUVs could emerge as a more practical alternative to premium hatchbacks.
Old 27th September 2009, 06:32   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

great idea. as i ve said before in many a thread on the forum there is a large market out there who would have loved to see the gypsy type off roader with a diesel engine and some more creature comforts priced reasonably at around 5-8 lacs range depending on the variant.
the market definitely requires a 4WD small go anywhere vehicle - surely a nice 4WD option with bells and whistles will be in the consideration set of the young urban couples too, apart from the farm/ estate type guys! The suzuki samurai (upgraded gypsy type) or Jimny or Rav4 or Terios or SX4 hatch or something of the sort would be lovely - consider also the PAL ambition of bringing in the old gen Terios at about 5.5 lacs from China.
all the SUV's available right now are priced substantially above the reach of the general common man and by this very pricing, the whole concept of "utility" has taken a beating - i think ours may be the only country in the world where a "utility" vehicle meant for common people is priced like this. Our often skewed priorities and policies seem to fuel the "wannabe off roader" ambitions of the richer urban people and NOT the common folk.
I mean think of it - if an OUtlander is priced at 24 lacs in Bangalore isnt it too high for a petrol driven soft roader? and Honda CRV at 29 lacs!!! and even the Fortuner at 21-22 lacs on Road Bangalore?
I mean, for that sort of money possibly one would do far better to buy a Pajero at 22 on road since it has proven credentials though it may be a bit outdated.
Other than the Scorpio/ Safari there is absolutely nothing available for the common man, this side of Rs 10 lacs and even these have only 2WD at prices below 10 lacs!!
Or else of course aspiring 4WD consumers will simply have to settle for the bone breaking Diesel Mahindra Major and/ or bank breaking Petrol Gypsy. In my opinion, this is absolutely crazy and thus we simply would LOVE to see a development such as is being discussed on this thread!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th September 2009 at 06:38.
Old 20th March 2010, 21:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Some updates from the article in NDTV Profit:

- New monocoque platform.

- Would compete with small hatchbacks.

- Price between Rs 4-6 lakh.

- May hit the market by 2012.

- Purposely designed to be less than four meters long to meet the excise benefits.

- Could be powered by 1.2 litre petrol engine sourced from Renault and a 1.5 litre common rail diesel engine developed in house.

Source: M&M developing next-generation of its SUV models - NDTV Profit
Old 20th March 2010, 23:23   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

- New monocoque platform.

- Would compete with small hatchbacks.

- Price between Rs 4-6 lakh.

- May hit the market by 2012.

- Purposely designed to be less than four meters long to meet the excise benefits.

- Could be powered by 1.2 litre petrol engine sourced from Renault and a 1.5 litre common rail diesel engine developed in house.

Source: M&M developing next-generation of its SUV models - NDTV Profit
Rest assured that it would be tall and butch hatchback masquerading as a 'wannabe SUV'.Mostly a FWD (with a silver bucktooth) and a AWD as option.Not something that we expected from mahindra.(x'cept the buck tooth grill)
But the public would lap it up,as its a much needed segment which hasn't been noticed.

Last edited by DicKy : 20th March 2010 at 23:25.
Old 21st March 2010, 00:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If its for the urban population, the MUV will have to better atleast the hatches, in terms of stlye, space, comfort and that upmarket feel.
+1 to that,otherwise this project is going to be a dud.But the idea is really good,M&M's trying to open up a totally new segment here,not considering the crude Gypsy.

Moreover,if M&M gives their best shot,these compact SUVs can be styled really well.A handsome high-set design,with four wheels pushed to the extreme corners would make this a looker.Its bound to stand out amidst a sea of mundane hatches.
Old 21st March 2010, 00:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm. I hope Mahindra has a pleasant surprise in store for us, all their latest attempts at any kind of styling have been a bad mess.

The Scorpio has gone from a Butch SUV (with a slightly boring rear end) to a bling mobile, over-styled and generally muscular at the wrong places. The less said about the Xylo the better.

For once, I'd like to see them engineer an automobile with a degree of finesse, and not just a crude (though VFM) piece of metal.
Old 21st March 2010, 06:27   #24
BHPian

this could be the replacement for the Major methinks!

hope this baby has 4x4....

Quote:
M&M's trying to open up a totally new segment here,not considering the crude Gypsy.
i am sorry, did you say crude?

Last edited by COUGAR : 21st March 2010 at 06:29.
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:15   #25
BHPian

Clever Move.

A very clever move by mahindra. This vehicle will have a good market. I think TATA will also launch a UV variant on Nano platform. Mahindra should try to launch this vehicle very soon.
Old 24th March 2010, 12:12   #26
BHPian

All Mahindra's would get 4X4 and this baby-SUV will look like a smaller Scorpio I guess. Mahindra will definitely take some cues from the Rio and it is based on a shortened version of the platform used in the World SUV. Hopefully, it will be the next thing to have! A mini-SUV (like the short-Pajero) will really kick the hatches.
Old 24th March 2010, 13:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Could be powered by 1.2 litre petrol engine sourced from Renault and a 1.5 litre common rail diesel engine developed in house...
Thanks for the update, ashutoshb ! I think the 1.5CRDi version would be a hit, when launched.
Old 27th March 2010, 14:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Mini SUV from Mahindra?

Today I was watching NDTV Car&Bike show in which they reported that Mahindra is working on a mini SUV to be priced around 4-6 lakhs. I got curious and found more info on the web. This is very interesting! Looks like Shankar Balan's prayer is being answered

M&M developing next-generation of its SUV models - NDTV Profit

"Sources say a five seater compact SUV is in the offing that could be priced between Rs 4-6 lakh. The model may hit the market by 2012.

This Mini SUV is purposely designed to be less than four meters long and could be powered by 1.2 litre petrol engine to meet the excise benefits.

Sources say M&M is in talks with Renault to source the petrol engine. The 1.5 litre common rail diesel engine will be developed in house.

But ahead of the compact SUV, M&M will launch its premium SUV some time in 2011 and is expected to be priced between Rs 10-14 lakh.

"Given that the entire UV space is going to be our focus, I am sure if there is a niche anywhere either in India or in the world, you can be sure that Mahindra will be there," said Anand Mahindra, vice chairman and MD of Mahindra & Mahindra.

Industry sources say M&M will invest between Rs 400-500 crore in the compact SUV. With raw material prices rising the company is building both the SUVs on the new monocoque platform that makes the vehicles fuel efficient and 10-15 per cent lighter in weight."

PS: @mods, I could not find an existing thread on this, if there is one, pls merge/delete
Old 27th March 2010, 14:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

hmm, 1.2L petrol and 1.5L diesel,that sounds interesting.
Old 27th March 2010, 14:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Discussion already on at :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ahindra-2.html
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks