Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 23:31   #61
Senior - BHPian

Thread already exists !

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
...the company is also developing an all-new mini-SUV, similar to the Premier Rio. The vehicle is being designed in such a way that it falls in the small-car category to avail the concessional excise benefit. It'll sport a 1500 CC 3 cylinder diesel engine designed by Mahindra, probably derived from the mHAWK 2.2 litre unit by chopping off one cylinder and some further alteration to bore/stroke dimensions, to keep the CC just below 1500. ...
The vehicle is still at the design stage and it may be 2-3 years before it hits the roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Can you please quote the source for this news.
I came across an article in the Business Standard , 2 years ago, about this vehicle plan :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-mahindra.html

ashutoshb had updated based on an article on NDTV the exact same news (as quoted by directinjection above) in March 2010 :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1793562-post20.html

M&M developing next-generation of its SUV models - NDTV Profit

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 29th April 2010 at 23:32.
Old 30th April 2010, 16:07   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I cannot speculate on the other specifications, but I will tell you that it will have chrome buck tooth in the front grille.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:18   #63
Senior - BHPian

I hope that M&M uses a monocoque rather than a body on frame design. 9 .9 out of 10 these cars will be used by urban dwelling folk who wont take this off road, so it makes absolutly no sense to have an archaic ladder frame for such a car. The problem is M&M have never designed their own monocoque and the only platform they have for this is the Logans (Renault permitting), but I somehow get the feeling that M&M will re engineer one of its own designs to save time and money. Hoping they prove me wrong.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
I hope that M&M uses a monocoque rather than a body on frame design. 9 .9 out of 10 these cars will be used by urban dwelling folk who wont take this off road, so it makes absolutly no sense to have an archaic ladder frame for such a car. The problem is M&M have never designed their own monocoque and the only platform they have for this is the Logans (Renault permitting), but I somehow get the feeling that M&M will re engineer one of its own designs to save time and money. Hoping they prove me wrong.
Seems like you haven't read the NDTV report cited in post no. 28. This is what it says:

Industry sources say M&M will invest between Rs 400-500 crore in the compact SUV. With raw material prices rising the company is building both the SUVs on the new monocoque platform that makes the vehicles fuel efficient and 10-15 per cent lighter in weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I cannot speculate on the other specifications, but I will tell you that it will have chrome buck tooth in the front grille.
Their new truck range doesn't use any chrome on the cabs which were designed by Mahindra locally, not picked up from the collaborator Navistar. Unlike many of Mahindra's recent designs, they look quite nice - tough as well as contemporary. Let's hope they use the same design team.

Last edited by directinjection : 30th April 2010 at 17:49.
Old 30th April 2010, 18:38   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgev View Post
even 1500cc is fine, but should produce 75-85 bhp. otherwise no charm in the indian conditions. again Koreans can do it , then why can'nt we? but to keep cost down(most important) they should use the existing engines on a new platform with the diamensions of a compact vehicle in mind.a compact scorpio ?
75-85 bhp is what hatchback's do. we are talking about an SUV here. what happened to the rugged mean machine image.
Old 30th April 2010, 20:08   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragstar View Post
75-85 bhp is what hatchback's do. we are talking about an SUV here. what happened to the rugged mean machine image.
The 1248 CC MJD develops 93 horses in the Linea. A just-under-1500 CC CRDI should potentially be able to develop more. Also the vehicle under discussion here is meant to be a more practical alternative to hatchbacks, given the Indian road conditions, rather than a pure SUV. Probably, 90% of the sales would comprise the 4X2 version. Its construction is monocoque too. By the way, how many 4X4 Scorpios do you see on the road?

Last edited by directinjection : 30th April 2010 at 20:15.
Old 30th April 2010, 22:08   #67
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ahindra-2.html

Thread already exists. Nothing new apart from three cylinder possibility
Old 1st May 2010, 17:22   #68
BHPian

It will probably do very well in rural areas, but I dont see too many people in cities opting for something like this.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:44   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragstar View Post
what i had in mind is the existing MM engines doing the rounds in the UV.s. also to keep costs low say under 6 lakhs
Old 1st May 2010, 18:43   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
It will probably do very well in rural areas, but I dont see too many people in cities opting for something like this.
I feel that it would be a good (powerful) option for urban buyers who want a rugged & reliable SUV that can run daily errands & satisfy their urge for occasional off-roading. Probably something like the Gypsy/Kimny with the added benefit of efficient 1.5L diesel.

Could be a good hit with the college goers from affluent background.

Again power in the range of 75-85 BHP will suffice, if coupled with healthy torque.
Old 1st May 2010, 19:52   #71
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

cardeep you're right.
when we were in college many affluent young chaps used to get after their parents and get Gypsy's. that was the ultimate status symbol for young chaps in the 80's/90's.
hence this lower cost SUV from Mahindra will certainly find some takers from that segment.
Also amongst the urban young family who want a bit of adventure in their otherwise drab daily lives - it could become an excellent option for a potential hatch buyer.
we already see that the weekend drive culture is catching up with the Indian consumer - this kind of vehicle may be just what people are waiting for.
the Skoda Yeti etc is out of reach for the majority of people as are other options like the Scorpio etc.
But a nice Diesel Driven small UV/ SUV from Mahindra may be just what is needed to tip the balance.
And of course the rural/ tea/coffee estate/ plantation segment should lap it up eagerly.
The RIO seems to have opened up this segment which all manufacturers have been ignoring for a long time.
I remember a conversation my friend and I had in 2001-2002 when we both were wishing that Mahindra or Maruti would come up with a nice smart, small SUV with Diesel power as a replacement/ alternative to the only other two vehicles which had some pretensions to a little comfort and a little refinement (in comparison to the old standard jeep) and were available in this price bracket at that time - the gypsy and bolero.
Old 2nd May 2010, 11:05   #72
BHPian

Not only the urban chaps, the fellows in rural areas too yearn for such a comfortable small SUV. Their requirement would be a low cost vehicle with all the comforts and convenience of a car, plus the ground clearance and boot space of an SUV.
Old 2nd May 2010, 14:59   #73
BHPian

Three cylinder design could be an issue, even the excellent 3-cylinder Detroit Diesel CRDi mill from the accent was perceived as not being refined enough. Who knows, maybe the vibes will add a bit of character to the SUV.

What I'm wondering is, will it be RWD or FWD? RWD will be expensive, unless they base it on the old jeep chassis.

1500cc is not a problem. I could live with it as long as it has loads of torque and at least 65 bhp.

I'm hoping for at least 15 inch wheels and high profile tyres for a nice butch look.
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:12   #74
Senior - BHPian

Those opting for the car will be less concerned with the vibes, as in my opinion, they will be more concerned with driving in the dunes, rocks, inclines, etc, conquering uncharted territories. Take for instance, the Gypsies, MM550, etc are rough engines that aren't exactly fast (top speed), but perform fairly good at 4X4 excursions.

But, still feel it will be more refined (hopefully M&M will seek to export it too) & more powerful than 65 bhp already on offer in Logan 1.5L diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Three cylinder design could be an issue, even the excellent 3-cylinder Detroit Diesel CRDi mill from the accent was perceived as not being refined enough. Who knows, maybe the vibes will add a bit of character to the SUV.

What I'm wondering is, will it be RWD or FWD? RWD will be expensive, unless they base it on the old jeep chassis.

1500cc is not a problem. I could live with it as long as it has loads of torque and at least 65 bhp.

I'm hoping for at least 15 inch wheels and high profile tyres for a nice butch look.
Old 4th May 2010, 16:27   #75

Mahindra Logan will launch a hatchback

Hi all,

I stumbled upon this link while goggling for the new Mahindra SUV.

Mahindra Renault Sandero | Upcoming Cars | Upcoming cars in India

If the above is true, I really doubt that it will be launched under Rs. 4lakh

In any case, this one looks quite impressive and the Renault engine is already a winner with the Logan.

I hope M&M works on the bland interiors and the sub-normal looks, which put off many prospective buyers for the Logan....

--Hawk
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks