Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 13:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Low Cost UV from Mahindra. 1.5L Diesel @ Rs. 6 lakh

Looks like the Mahindras are planning to produce a sub-4lakh UV. This is interesting news : if this plans materialises, then we are bound to see lot of action in the UV market.

Low-cost UV on Mahindra radar

Some excerpts :
----------------------------------------------
5-seater to be priced below Rs 4 lakh. As the world’s attention is riveted on the ultra-low-cost car of Tata Motors, fellow home-grown passenger vehicles maker Mahindra & Mahindra is busy developing a platform for low-cost utility vehicles.

The cost of the vehicles will be brought down by reducing the size of the vehicles to five-seaters. At present, utility vehicles typically accommodate seven people, more in some cases. The other method being adopted is to use engines of much smaller cubic capacity displacement — 800cc to 1,200cc — than those in use now. The utility vehicles now have engine sizes in the range of 2,000 cc to 3,000 cc.

----------------------------------------------

If there is a 4WD option available in this new UV, I would be seriously interested in it. Currently , M&M don't seem to be actively pushing their 4WD vehicles.

My specs for such a UV would be as below :
A hard-top version ( similar in shape/size to the MM 540) , with a slightly longer wheel base, softer suspension, and a DI turbo engine of 1500cc producing around 55 HP (and maybe 120 NM) at around 2200 rpm, and of course a mileage of 15kmpl . Asking for too much ??? .
Old 5th February 2008, 14:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hope the interiors and plastic parts will be good and they will not s***w up the whole thing as they themselves have admitted that they are bad on cost cutting.
Old 5th February 2008, 14:58   #3
Team-BHP Support

btw: what is the cost of M&M jeeps.
I can only find links for Bolero and Scorpio.
Can hardly find anything from M&M on their other products.

Do they sell the MM540 xDP. If yes how much does it cost.

If they do come up with a sub 4L UV with decent seats and comfort with a 4WD option in either diesel or petrol. I am game for it.

I would rather drive an armour clad jeep with no A/C than sweat inside a cool sedan worried about traffic dents.
Old 5th February 2008, 15:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

@ bblost --> AFAIK, they have stopped producing the MM series (and the Armada/Marshal/Commander et al ). They are now focussing only on the Bolero and Scorpio. There do produce a 4WD CL series jeep , but I think that is only for bulk Govt. orders. That jeep has good specs : DI turbo engine with 5-speed synchromesh GBox, and 2 speed transfer case.
Old 5th February 2008, 16:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sub 4 lakh UV. 800-1200 cc. Five seater. Great idea.

If Mahindra is starting from scratch, considering their international ambitions, i hope the design, fit and finish will be at par with existing players.

Mahindra, take a tip from this:

This is Daihatsu Terios, a compact SUV from Daihatsu. Seats 5. Available with 1.3(63kw)/1.5 (77kw) engines. 16" wheels. An ideal small SUV for cities and fits Mahindra's idea of a small UV to the T.
Old 5th February 2008, 17:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Now days all manufacturers are focussing on low cost, whereas premium manufacturers are launching higher cost cars, something for the people in between?
Old 5th February 2008, 17:32   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Looks like the Mahindras are planning to produce a sub-4lakh UV.
When I saw this, I was like....whats new? I hope I am wrong here, but Mahindra would be making yet another derivative of the original Jeep chassis they have held on to since 50 years!
Old 5th February 2008, 18:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I hope I am wrong here, but Mahindra would be making yet another derivative of the original Jeep chassis they have held on to since 50 years!
The sub 4L price commitment may tempt them to do so. If they want to give us a short wheelbase bolero or scorpio, i think it should do fine.

But having said that, If they truly want to come out with a world class product, they will have to start afresh. Afterall, they will have to lure buyers from established hatchbacks, entry level c segment sedans.
Old 6th February 2008, 17:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

There is a void in the market at that price level , that they can fill up. If one looks at the current UVs available, the starting onroad price would be above 5 lakhs.

It wouldnt be a bad idea even if they re-launched the MM series, albeit with some improvements. These improvements could include a softer suspension, new dashboard and the DI turbo engine with 5-speed transmission. They defintely should not use plastics inthe interior to make it have car-like finish. They should stick to standard UV-like interiors, with robust build quality. I guess the improvements should also include a re-designed front/grill , since they will definetely will have trademark issues relating to the classic Jeep looks of the MM series (curretnly Chrysler owns this trademark ???).
Old 6th February 2008, 17:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
There is a void in the market at that price level , that they can fill up.
Completely agree on that one. If they give the people an MUV which looks like a scorpio/sumo junior and has interiors, comfort like a regular car... It will sell like hot cakes.
Old 6th February 2008, 18:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Completely agree on that one. If they give the people an MUV which looks like a scorpio/sumo junior and has interiors, comfort like a regular car... It will sell like hot cakes.
Something which the FUSION could have filled if it was a Mahindra. Alas, its a FORD. Nice car, improper pricing.
Old 6th February 2008, 18:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Something which the FUSION could have filled if it was a Mahindra. Alas, its a FORD. Nice car, improper pricing.
ya, but Fusion is not a proper MUV and looks more like a big hatchback.
Old 6th February 2008, 21:48   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
btw: what is the cost of M&M jeeps.
I can only find links for Bolero and Scorpio.
Can hardly find anything from M&M on their other products.

Do they sell the MM540 xDP. If yes how much does it cost.

If they do come up with a sub 4L UV with decent seats and comfort with a 4WD option in either diesel or petrol. I am game for it.

I would rather drive an armour clad jeep with no A/C than sweat inside a cool sedan worried about traffic dents.
bblost:

I totally hear you man. I am so paranoid about driving my OHC around Bangalore. I would have loved to buya MM550 XDB if they still sold it but unfortunately Mahindra stopped selling i to civilians and only make a version for the army now. They consider the Bolero Invader soft top the alternative to the MM540. i just don't like the looks of the invader the back is awkwardly high. I find it oddly proportioned.

It is extremely hard to find a good used MM540. I have been searching for a very long time. I was lucky to find an excellent 2002 model 4Wheel drive MM540 recently.
Old 6th February 2008, 23:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

What market????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Sub 4 lakh UV. 800-1200 cc. Five seater. Great idea.

If Mahindra is starting from scratch, considering their international ambitions, i hope the design, fit and finish will be at par with existing players.....

Daihatsu Terios, a compact SUV from Daihatsu. Seats 5. Available with 1.3(63kw)/1.5 (77kw) engines. 16" wheels. An ideal small SUV for cities and fits Mahindra's idea of a small UV to the T.
I would like to see them produce something squat ugly with uni-body construction, door hinges on the outside, bolt on headlights and tail lights, a 1800cc crdi diesel, Two pieces of heavy gage sheet metal for front and rear bumpers, good ground clearance. Defogger, AC + heater + power steering + FOUR WHEEL DRIVE should be optional. A larger scale gypsy kind of vehicle with a diesel if you please, 6.5 lakh fully loaded - 4.5 lakh with no options. I do not think a Daihatsu Terios type vehicle is needed or marketable INSIDE India. I think they need to wait and see how their Scorpio does in North America before they try to compete by creating an exportable small UV or SUV ala Daihatsu Terios. Just my two rupees worth of opinion here.
Old 6th February 2008, 23:23   #15
BHPian

i think by lowering down the cost of the vehicle,you may not get the best UV specs.
i mean good engine+comforts+and may be looks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks