Team-BHP - Top stable speed on Accent GLS SOHC!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Top stable speed on Accent GLS SOHC! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/35156-top-stable-speed-accent-gls-sohc.html)

Guys, What’s the stable top speed on an Accent SOHC while the car remains absolutely stable, no shaking, no shuddering of steering wheel? If I do get an empty road what's the max I can comfortbaly cruise at? Please don't tell me the speeds some of the members mentioned before in their max speed tests. I personally do not think these speeds (mentioned here) are stable.

I drove quite a lot in US (I drove Buick LeSabre as my primary car but drove about 15 other models including pick-ups) and in India (I drove about most of the mid class cars) and I've a good experience at high speeds. I feel each and every car has a limit after which the drive is not a comfortable one. I always set a max limit on my car (whether it's 100, 200, 300....) where I am at full control.

For a stock Accent on stock tires, i would say 100 would be the best cruising speed.

Please look out for the speed limit of that particular road/highway/expressway and treat it as the Top Stable Speed.

Thanks Busa, how about for short bursts on empty stretches? Could it be 130 or more or less while staying completely in control.

Rahul

120 kmph should be good. Have done so and feels stable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rchandan (Post 712411)
Thanks Busa, how about for short bursts on empty stretches? Could it be 130 or more or less while staying completely in control.

Rahul

Empty strecthes you can push a bit, around 140 IMO, but see the road, and the traffic.

Accents are quite stable at most speeds; top whacks are never stable, no matter what car/bike. The max that I've seen on the the GLS (speedo) is about 170+; but the car begins to wander after about 150.

I would say 145-150 would be the "safest" top whack on the accent, so to speak...

i think anything between 120-140 would be a good speed(after considering the traffic around you)

I have been having my Accent GVS with me for 5 years now and have done quiet a bit of long distance driving on it. My car is very stable for speeds around 110-120, even while driving in summer mid afternoon temperatures of around 40 degrees. With traffic permitting thats the cruise speed I normally try to maintain when driving on highways.

You can feel that the car has still more punch in it but you know that you are pushing the car when it starts going above 125 as vibrations start happening which pick up with the speed.

Maximum I have pushed is 160 km/hr and that was for a very short distance of around a kilometer.

well i have touched 160 on the mumbai pune highway, in my opinion 140 is the maximum stable speed on can suggest

but the kind of road is a very very important factor. for any speed above 90 banked roads are must otherwise its a suicide.

in accent as the car touches 140-150 you feel the car has got stuck to the road beyond 150 it can fly cause accent is very light so i chose not to cross 160

140-150 is what i would suggest but i must also
admit accent encourages these speeds

agree: to Busa, the ideal cruising speed for the Accent would be 100 kmph. From my personal experience the car is comfortable to drive till the 140 kmph mark. It can whack a top speed of 170, but the ride becomes shaky above 150 mark. However, must say that the Accent is a pleasure to drive.

The only Accent i've driven on a highway is Rehaan's. But due to wheel balancing issues, the steering used to vibrate voilently beyond 110kmph.

Interestingly, the car handled well on tight twisty roads and even on the Pune-Bbay expressway ghat section.

Shan2nu

Usually drive the accent 1.6 DOHC in Kerala's highways at 90 - 100 kmph (wherever road conditions permit!). Never took it beyond 130 kmph and the car was stable at those speeds (ABS helps as well).

Quote:

Originally Posted by rchandan (Post 712331)
I always set a max limit on my car (whether it's 100, 200, 300....) where I am at full control.

Whoa! What car is that?

i have pushed my accent to max 160 while on my trip to alibaug and upto 120 max on empty palm beach road. but it was done with new michelin tyres.

i have never experienced any shaking or wobbling even at this speeds.

mine is also an accent gls