Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 17:58   #61
Senior - BHPian

There is no suggestion that this will replace Omni. More that likely its the Versa name that will be retired after this one comes out. Versa has been a rate failure for Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
that heavier motor can also upset the already not so good dynamics of Omni.
A heavier engine wil probably improve the dynamics of the Omni.
Old 15th July 2009, 18:14   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
No chance! The current Omni itself is front-heavy (or is it just an illusion?), making it looking like going for a nose dive while on move. A heavier engine will only add to that feeling. Only a bigger-wider tyre will add stability to Omni.
Old 15th July 2009, 18:18   #63
BHPian

All I see from MS is that they are re-working on the same engine plants for example A-star, which they say is the new KB series engine.
I test drove the same & the moment I went for about a 100 mtrs or so I could feel that its entirely the same old 800 cc(800, Alto..etc etc) engine increased to a 1000cc.

Now that they are completely off market...It looks like they are mating them both together to bring a new life...
Old 15th July 2009, 18:23   #64
Senior - BHPian

I too feel that a heavier engine will lead to the front end being too heavy in case the Omni is travelling without any load / passengers. But going by today's engine technology, one can probably just about plonk a 1.1L 4cylinder engine if it is made light weight !
Old 15th July 2009, 18:52   #65
BHPian

I wonder why Versa was a failure, though i never drove it and travelled in it, somehow i liked the appearance of it and thought it could serve as a good family car. Pardon my ignorance if this is already discussed.
Old 15th July 2009, 20:37   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
No chance! The current Omni itself is front-heavy (or is it just an illusion?), making it looking like going for a nose dive while on move. A heavier engine will only add to that feeling. Only a bigger-wider tyre will add stability to Omni.
I believe that adding a heavier engine in Omni will spoil its dynamics further. Currently, the nose heaviness is present. I have driven this car and after the M800, the steering was direct, but I was simply too scared to cross 70.
If there is no load at the rear end/seats, during emergency braking the rear tends to come out. With heavier engine this will be more pronounced.

Omni is just one thing : Better than one/two 2-wheeler where a family of five ( I know its used as 8 seater ) can be insulated from weather while traveling ( specially rain ) and its safer than a two wheeler and Auto. Nothing more.
Wider tyres will help but not much. The track is not wide enough to help dynamics.

What we need is a vehicle that has some amount of crash space in front atleast and better dynamics. These two are more important than other features, but these two are absolute necessity.
OT :
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitv122 View Post
I test drove the same & the moment I went for about a 100 mtrs or so I could feel that its entirely the same old 800 cc(800, Alto..etc etc) engine increased to a 1000cc.
I never felt that it was extended version of F series motors.
Old 15th July 2009, 20:42   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
I wonder why Versa was a failure, though i never drove it and travelled in it, somehow i liked the appearance of it and thought it could serve as a good family car. Pardon my ignorance if this is already discussed.
IMHO the versa was over priced in addition to the wrong product positioning.
Design-for rural/less refined segment
Price - for upmarket positioning
remember Big-"B" advt
cheers
Old 15th July 2009, 22:37   #68
BHPian

It would basically be the Suzuki Landy for sure.It would be launched in the MUV segment to compete with the innova.Pricing woukd be no less than 7 lakhs.
Old 15th July 2009, 23:04   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishbhat View Post
I had a 2001 omni. I could easily able to reach the end of the meter [120kmph] with 3+1 on board.
Though it is a 800 cc engine the pick-up was more than a M800 or even Alto.
Yes, absolutely I have done Mumbai-Palghar at 100kmph in blinding rain and a leaking roof.
I simply love the turns the vehicle makes and the feed back, you can turn with judgement of inches of the ground below you. Max vehicle is a proposition that is successfully shows.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:18   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
It would basically be the Suzuki Landy for sure.It would be launched in the MUV segment to compete with the innova.Pricing woukd be no less than 7 lakhs.

Guys if it is the Landy it can kill a lot of cars including the Innova. The MUV looks good far better then the APV. Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki to launch new Van based on Versa-landy.jpg  

Old 16th July 2009, 12:29   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Guys if it is the Landy it can kill a lot of cars including the Innova. The MUV looks good far better then the APV. Here is a pic.
It would be helpful if you could give other details of this car, if this is rightly priced around 7 L OTR, then it certainly make other cars run for its money.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:42   #72
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Looks like MUL is going to enter the MUV segment with a bang this Diwali. Should be interesting to see how they price the vehicle
Old 16th July 2009, 12:46   #73
Senior - BHPian

Dont know why, i get the feeling that this Landy is not a Suzuki product BUT a rebadged-Honda/Toyota/Mitsubishi which is being produced for some local ASEAN markets, the Overall Design and Fit-FInish doesnt seem to be Suzuki at all to me. ( I might be wrong here)
Old 16th July 2009, 12:54   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Landy will definitely cost around 6-7 lakhs. That makes the NDTV news wrong in price factor (3.5 lakhs).

BTW, Landy looks very cool and spacious. Will definitely be a superhit if it comes with a diesel engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki to launch new Van based on Versa-nissan_suzuki_1_470.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki to launch new Van based on Versa-pg2.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki to launch new Van based on Versa-suzuki_landy.jpg  

Old 16th July 2009, 12:55   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Dont know why, i get the feeling that this Landy is not a Suzuki product BUT a rebadged-Honda/Toyota/Mitsubishi which is being produced for some local ASEAN markets, the Overall Design and Fit-FInish doesnt seem to be Suzuki at all to me. ( I might be wrong here)
Yes, it actually is a NISSAN product.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks