Team-BHP - Maruti Suzuki to launch new Van based on Versa
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Maruti Suzuki to launch new Van based on Versa (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/35229-maruti-suzuki-launch-new-van-based-versa.html)

Happy news for all the Omni lovers ! clap:

Omni - one of the India’s most successful car (micro van) may be replaced with a new car. Maruti is developing a new, stripped-down version of the Versa which may eventually become a replacement to the Omni van. According to DNA, suppliers confirmed that Maruti is reworking the Versa into an Omni. Th new omni will be on Versa platform in opposite to the existing omni which is built on M800 platform. The new omni is developed under the code name ‘O2’. Maruti launched the Versa in 2001 but the numbers were not satisfying. From december 2007 Maruti has begun customising the Versa for customers wanting to use this car as a radio taxi or a luxury taxi and some minor modifications (such as partitioning the driver and passenger compartments) have been made in an attempt to generate sales.

Maruti Suzuki plans new omni | Straight Frm The Heart

Maruti went wrong with the pricing of Versa. It also has a powerful engine( From Esteem) and hence not that fuel efficient. Omni is one of the cheapest car you can buy and how is Maruti gonna sell it at a price less than 2.5lac?

Sure its a good news for omni lovers. But need to keep the pricing proper (in and around the existing omni rates). Otherwise, there will be no takers. Versa was definately over priced.

I will be waiting for snap of new omni...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 714138)
Omni is one of the cheapest car you can buy and how is Maruti gonna sell it at a price less than 2.5lac?

I dont believe the current Omni will be stopped.

I second Mag's opinion because the current Omni is used in many forms like Ambulance/goods carrier/touring vehicle and what not. I feel this vehicle may go along with the current vehicle (just like Tatas).:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 714167)
I second Mag's opinion ...

True. Perhaps the current Omni is the one the most used (and abused :D) vehicles. I have seen omnis with people packed like sardines in it. Once, I also saw an Omni doing at 100+ KPH on highway and still doing gravity defying lanes changes and turns.

just plonk a 1.3 diesel with some reduced power maybe and it will be a winner :)

my family has used many omnis for transporting goods to the shop and its a good city vehicle, yeah its very unsafe to be used on highway or for that matter even in some metros(fast traffic i mean) .....

and i prefer this vehicle to anything in my home town (patna), there is so much of chaos in traffic there that if you take a new vehicle on the road you die of fear or scratching it or with anger lol, but with my omni i can drive fearlessly :D ..... have assisted many auto and rikshawala who resist to move hehe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahulkool (Post 714194)
just plonk a 1.3 diesel with some reduced power maybe and it will be a winner :)

Omni with the 1.3L Multijet = Sucide. Its high time they call it a day on the Omni.

Upgrading the Omni to Versa is not a good Idea. As of now there is no competitor to omni. In rural areas it is the car for all reasons and seasons. But upgraded omni will definitely cost more than 3.5L. Then rural people may start looking for alternatives like Tata Ace 6 seater.

Quote:

Maruti is developing a new, stripped-down version of the Versa which may eventually become a replacement to the Omni van.
Great news! I have always insisted that the Versa is a logical replacement to the Omni. Better late than never, and a sure step ahead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreenidhibr (Post 714188)
True. Perhaps the current Omni is the one the most used (and abused :D) vehicles. I have seen omnis with people packed like sardines in it. Once, I also saw an Omni doing at 100+ KPH on highway and still doing gravity defying lanes changes and turns.

OMNI doing 100kmph plus.. thats quite rare.. i had a 2004 omni.. which got drowned in 26/7, even when it was 2 days old.. it didnt go over 95kmph..

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSA (Post 714254)
Omni with the 1.3L Multijet = Sucide. Its high time they call it a day on the Omni.

you got me wrong actually what i meant was the striped down versa

Quote:

Originally Posted by fx45 (Post 714351)
OMNI doing 100kmph plus.. thats quite rare.. i had a 2004 omni.. which got drowned in 26/7, even when it was 2 days old.. it didnt go over 95kmph..

[/quote]

i have driven omni many times as i said earlier it can easily do 115-120 on the speedo when no load. and with 5 people on board it can touch 100.

it fun driving the omni because of rear wheel drive :D standing 180* turns are easy, just turn the wheel, full throttle in first gear and leave the clutch it will turn in no space

:)

Quote:

OMNI doing 100kmph plus.. thats quite rare.. i had a 2004 omni..
I had a 2001 omni. I could easily able to reach the end of the meter [120kmph] with 3+1 on board.
Though it is a 800 cc engine the pick-up was more than a M800 or even Alto.

anybody who can provide us with the pics of this new car??