Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2008, 01:20   #31
BHPian

i recently sold my Bolero GLX 2001. Bolero is essentially a Jeep under the skin and is built like a tank. very very reliable and maintenance costs can be compared to a maruti 800. on my bolero the original tyres lasted for 64k kms, Battery lasted for 4.5 yrs. every 5k kms you need to replace oil and filters which cost 1100 in all. With a good set of alloys it looks very sporty indeed (see my gallery). Bolero is extremely good for city driving. even in heavy traffic you can drive in 3 rd gear without shifting down. it surely scares the hell out of Autos.. in hyd its getting very popular these days in the political circles.
Old 19th April 2008, 10:04   #32
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Do all Boleros come with the 63 bhp four banger or do you get the option of the 2.2 CRDi with the higher models.

I couldn't find a single Bolero with the CRDi on their website.
No CRDi for Bolero so far
Old 19th April 2008, 11:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

Might be bolero is the best seller in the suvs.I see more bolero than scorpio or innova whenever i travel on the highways.Its sure a milking cow for the mahindras.
Grande has not really picked up regarding sales too.
ram
Old 19th April 2008, 16:10   #34
BHPian

My take :

While talking about the success of the Bolero (actually M&M has clubbed ALL the Bolero passenger carrying variants under one sales number), one mostly thinks about the versions that private buyers (like most of us posting on this thread) consider.

It is misleading to think that the higher end Bolero versions that may appeal to private buyers, are the ones that are being sold in large numbers. I would conjecture that large numbers of low-end variants (like the aforementioned XL or Plus) are being sold for commercial / fleet / institutional usage, which form a good base for the overall high number.

One must also look at it's "competition" ... serious and otherwise ...

M&M Bolero : Mahindra Bolero

Tata Motors (Sumo series especially the Victa DI Turbo) : TATA Motors - Utility Vehicles and

Force Motors (sucessors to the Trax series especially the Gama) : ...::: Welcome to Force Motors : Products Section :::...

ICML (Rhino Rx) : Sonalika Group | Products | Product Detail

If you look at the players it immediately becomes evident that, for the package (in order of priority = image, price, FE, features, reliability, ruggedness, network), the others just can't compete for the private buyer's money.

For a good reason, I have not included lower-end versions of Scorpio, Innova, Safari and Tavera as competitors. They are really NOT the same class of vehicle

HOWEVER, the truth is, M&M has successfully created an image for the top-end Bolero variants, where it actually appeals to the large crowd who REALLY WANT a Scorpio or a Safari or an Innova, but can't stretch to, or don't want, the base variants of these worthies.

Apparently there are a LOT of consumers who REALLY WANT an SUV, but are willing to settle for a better value proposition. Which is probably where the incremental sales are coming from; lifting the Bolero above and beyond all the other SUVs / MUVs.

In short, the secret to it's success is : it's appeal cuts across market and customer segments.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Old 20th April 2008, 13:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Good Old Bolero

It is interesting to see a discussion on Bolero. As it is, it seems it provokes extreme reactions. Also, many have been using the vehicle for 4 or more years.

Maddy42 says it is not a taxi...yes people do not think it as a taxi, not even the RTA think it as a taxi...cramped rear could be the reason. And for this very reason some prefer Bolero as a taxi, may be a thing to do with exculsivity.

It rides well but rolls too much, and when very light on load - say 1 0r 2 passengers - ride is a bit harsh.

Vikrantw1 finds its AC useless and its interiors cramped. Yes, the rear is not fit for humans but the middle row is better than Sumo or Qualis or even a Scorpio. And this is the first time I am hearing about its AC(or lack of it). May be a problem with that particular vehicle.

I should know. I own a couple. One with the DI, 4 speed gear box and leaf springs all around - a Camper circa 2002 and a Sportz circa 2004.

Maintenance is next to nil. Change oil every 6000 km and forget about it. Other maintenance is unheard of. FI Pump used to leak diesel after every 1.5 lakh kilometre(for Camper). A bush wears out, says the Mico franchisee. Tyre life is around 1 lakh kilometres. The maximum I got was 1,42,000 km on MRF Zigma GP. Though the original tyre size was 235, I settled for 215s as 235s couldnt do duty for more than 70 K and the GoodYears that were OE fitted didnt like our roads. I prefer MRFs.

One major problem is the electricals.

Thus far I changed a timing gear, front discs apart from the regular maintenance of oil and filter change, tyres, and other consumables, and, of course, the bush in the FI pump.

And the vehicle has run a cool 8.5 lakh kilometres and is still good.

One seldom finds more VFM than this
Old 21st April 2008, 18:15   #36
BHPian

It is a very Noisy utility vehicle and not at all sporty either in look or Performance.
Old 21st April 2008, 18:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
And the vehicle has run a cool 8.5 lakh kilometres and is still good.
Is this a typo? 8.5 Lakh kilometers is a lot of mileage.
Even if the mileage is for the 2002 model, it equates to around 388 kilometers a day, each day of the year!
Hard to believe if you ask me.
Old 7th July 2008, 07:08   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

largely it is a budget related issue
Bolero offers toughness, a few creature comforts, completely covered vehicle keeps out the elements and low on maintenance.
gives a tough image and is truly a budget utility vehicle for those so inclined.
thats probably why it is a success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
My take :

While talking about the success of the Bolero (actually M&M has clubbed ALL the Bolero passenger carrying variants under one sales number), one mostly thinks about the versions that private buyers (like most of us posting on this thread) consider.

It is misleading to think that the higher end Bolero versions that may appeal to private buyers, are the ones that are being sold in large numbers. I would conjecture that large numbers of low-end variants (like the aforementioned XL or Plus) are being sold for commercial / fleet / institutional usage, which form a good base for the overall high number.

One must also look at it's "competition" ... serious and otherwise ...

M&M Bolero : Mahindra Bolero

Tata Motors (Sumo series especially the Victa DI Turbo) : TATA Motors - Utility Vehicles and

Force Motors (sucessors to the Trax series especially the Gama) : ...::: Welcome to Force Motors : Products Section :::...

ICML (Rhino Rx) : Sonalika Group | Products | Product Detail

If you look at the players it immediately becomes evident that, for the package (in order of priority = image, price, FE, features, reliability, ruggedness, network), the others just can't compete for the private buyer's money.

For a good reason, I have not included lower-end versions of Scorpio, Innova, Safari and Tavera as competitors. They are really NOT the same class of vehicle

HOWEVER, the truth is, M&M has successfully created an image for the top-end Bolero variants, where it actually appeals to the large crowd who REALLY WANT a Scorpio or a Safari or an Innova, but can't stretch to, or don't want, the base variants of these worthies.

Apparently there are a LOT of consumers who REALLY WANT an SUV, but are willing to settle for a better value proposition. Which is probably where the incremental sales are coming from; lifting the Bolero above and beyond all the other SUVs / MUVs.

In short, the secret to it's success is : it's appeal cuts across market and customer segments.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Old 7th July 2008, 10:57   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I wished they got rid of those funny looking primitive door hinches and came up with something modern.
I feel, those hinches are going well with the charactor of Bolero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Bolero is essentially a Jeep under the skin and is built like a tank. very very reliable and maintenance costs can be compared to a maruti 800. on my bolero the original tyres lasted for 64k kms, Battery lasted for 4.5 yrs. every 5k kms you need to replace oil and filters which cost 1100 in all. With a good set of alloys it looks very sporty indeed (see my gallery). Bolero is extremely good for city driving. even in heavy traffic you can drive in 3 rd gear without shifting down. it surely scares the hell out of Autos..
This is exactly the reason its selling.

We have a whole fleet of Boleros in our office, doing duty wtih the Network team 24X7. We have two drivers for each bolero & it is running without rest day & night. Here, Reliability is the name of the game.
Old 7th July 2008, 11:22   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes those outside mounted hinges are nice - they give you the feeling of toughness and invulnerability in styling for some reason! Reliability is surely the name of the game with the Bolero - rugged and indestructible VFM Jeep with some creature comforts thrown in!!
I think Mahindra did a very good job on the Bolero and deserve appreciation for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansidea View Post
I feel, those hinches are going well with the charactor of Bolero.

This is exactly the reason its selling.

We have a whole fleet of Boleros in our office, doing duty wtih the Network team 24X7. We have two drivers for each bolero & it is running without rest day & night. Here, Reliability is the name of the game.
Old 7th July 2008, 11:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

India's largest-selling MUV

I know there are lot of good things that can be said about the Bolero, but calling it an SUV is, I think, stretching things a bit too far .

It is an MUV, period.

That said, the current models with DI Turbo engine are selling like hot cakes, due to the the better mileage (14kmpl in city, without AC) , the lower NVH levels, and also the reliability/durability associated with DI engines in general.

The low-end torque is also good : so I guess city driving should be more convenient.

Old 7th July 2008, 12:01   #42
BHPian

I am still not getting this...why is this thread carrying a name "India's largest selling SUV" ???

Bolero is a hardcore Utility Vehicle....not even close to anything SUVish.
Even Scorpio struggles to be an SUV.....
Whats the point ?
Old 7th July 2008, 12:05   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I know there are lot of good things that can be said about the Bolero, but calling it an SUV is, I think, stretching things a bit too far .

It is an MUV, period.

That said, the current models with DI Turbo engine are selling like hot cakes, due to the the better mileage (14kmpl in city, without AC) , the lower NVH levels, and also the reliability/durability associated with DI engines in general.

The low-end torque is also good : so I guess city driving should be more convenient.

MUV?? Bolero looks like a SUV to me. So in my books it is an SUV. Not Innova though, which is a proper MUV. I just checked in wikipedia, which may not be the ultimate authority, but good enough for me. (see Minivan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )
Does SUV essentially mean luxurious? May be the people carrier trims of Bolero/Trax may not be termed SUV, but the regular 7 seater ones can surely be considered SUVs.
Or am I missing something in the way SUV or MUV is defined?
Old 7th July 2008, 12:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

MUV or SUV ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
MUV?? Bolero looks like a SUV to me. So in my books it is an SUV.

Please check the below link :

Multi-utility vehicles -- Making tracks

I would rather believe something said in "The Hindu", than just go by wikipaedia.

Of course, in todays (Indian) world where the female of the acting profession is also being coined "Actor" (and not "Actress"), real-world experience/training/knowledge would help in understanding things better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
.Does SUV essentially mean luxurious? ..
Yes, of course

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 7th July 2008 at 12:29.
Old 7th July 2008, 12:19   #45
Team-BHP Support

8.5 Lakh kms in 6 years!! Thats like major whoa!
388kms/day.
Do you run Hyd-Blr roadways!?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks