Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2008, 13:03   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
MUV?? Bolero looks like a SUV to me. So in my books it is an SUV.
An SUV which struggles to do 120kmph...a 0-100kmph takes some 30.3 secs...and 0-100-0 takes 61.7 secs...
What Sports is this Sports Utility Vehicle playing ?
Old 7th July 2008, 13:11   #47
BANNED

Have been a Bolero user for 4 years now. Run more then a lakh kilometers and needs some heart surgery soon. Dont care what you call it SUV or MUV. Its does it job well with the cost of purchase and running cost as much as an Alto.

About driving 8.5 lakhs in 6 years - My friends Bolero XL is doing the Goa - Bangalore route 5 days a week for the last 3 years. Thats 650-700 kms per day. It gets worked upon on weekends. He is one of the major exporters of exotic flowers.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2008, 13:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pani View Post
An SUV which struggles to do 120kmph...a 0-100kmph takes some 30.3 secs...and 0-100-0 takes 61.7 secs...

The former may be true -- but the latter just cant be. It cannot take another 31.4 seconds to haul it from 100 to ZERO if it has brakes! And if it doesn't maybe it should be banned in the first place
Old 7th July 2008, 13:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
i recently sold my Bolero GLX 2001. Bolero is essentially a Jeep under the skin and is built like a tank. very very reliable and maintenance costs can be compared to a maruti 800. on my bolero the original tyres lasted for 64k kms, Battery lasted for 4.5 yrs. every 5k kms you need to replace oil and filters which cost 1100 in all. With a good set of alloys it looks very sporty indeed (see my gallery). Bolero is extremely good for city driving. even in heavy traffic you can drive in 3 rd gear without shifting down. it surely scares the hell out of Autos.. in hyd its getting very popular these days in the political circles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Might be bolero is the best seller in the suvs.I see more bolero than scorpio or innova whenever i travel on the highways.Its sure a milking cow for the mahindras.
Grande has not really picked up regarding sales too.
ram

well yes we back are more inclined towards a bolero now than to buy the innova as a replacement for the qualis, we found it to roll comfortably on the bad highways up north like the UPs and its mostly going to be used for the forest tours so its the best bet!

the way the bolero handle the pot holes and still manages to do a constant 60-70kmph on those roads, being wallet friendly on maintainance and FE makes it one of the best selling suvs!
Old 7th July 2008, 15:06   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
The former may be true -- but the latter just cant be. It cannot take another 31.4 seconds to haul it from 100 to ZERO if it has brakes! And if it doesn't maybe it should be banned in the first place
Buddy just google "Mahindra Bolero 0-100" and you should get these figures.....though even I agree its a questionable figure.

Last edited by Pani : 7th July 2008 at 15:08.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:10   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Pani;
an SUV is a passenger vehicle with the towing capacity of a pickup truck.
See definition on wikipedia:Sport utility vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
However, sports here is not to be confused with just the speed aspect. Sports in the word SUV or in an SUV/MUV/ UV like a Bolero can mean anything from being supportive of and suiting a Sporty/ Active lifestyle including or encompassing some amount of Off road driving, Forest Camping, Fishing, Golf, Photography whatever - basically the vehicle is a little better suited to people who have or wish to have an alternative lifestyle or who pursue hobbies similar to the above.
The idea is a vehicle that can be used on the normal tarmac road as well as on a narrow muddy or rocky track in pursuit of such sports as the owner may be enthusiastic about.
Also, the vehicle provides space enough to carry what the owner may want to carry.
It is only a generic term and can be used pretty freely across vehicles like Bolero, Gypsy, Trax, Pajero, Safari, Scorpio IMO because there is really no restriction on its usage. However, for a purist, the dictionary definition can be adhered to.

Quote:

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th July 2008 at 15:14.
Old 7th July 2008, 16:41   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Pani;
an SUV is a passenger vehicle with the towing capacity of a pickup truck.
See definition on wikipedia:Sport utility vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
However, sports here is not to be confused with just the speed aspect. Sports in the word SUV or in an SUV/MUV/ UV like a Bolero can mean anything from being supportive of and suiting a Sporty/ Active lifestyle including or encompassing some amount of Off road driving, Forest Camping, Fishing, Golf, Photography whatever - basically the vehicle is a little better suited to people who have or wish to have an alternative lifestyle or who pursue hobbies similar to the above.
The idea is a vehicle that can be used on the normal tarmac road as well as on a narrow muddy or rocky track in pursuit of such sports as the owner may be enthusiastic about.
Also, the vehicle provides space enough to carry what the owner may want to carry.
It is only a generic term and can be used pretty freely across vehicles like Bolero, Gypsy, Trax, Pajero, Safari, Scorpio IMO because there is really no restriction on its usage. However, for a purist, the dictionary definition can be adhered to.
Shankar Buddy,
I wouldnt argue much here...because I know a generic term like SUV can be bent and twisted to be suitable to anything from a Mahindra Commander to a Honda CRV. But to me SUV is a niche category. It represents a sophisticated vehicle with a powerful Engine which can virtually go anywhere. Off-Road is its natural home. Its a combination of sophistication, robustness, technology and power. IMO it is not a People Mover.

Bolero to me is just a decent looking people mover. It is neither sophisticated nor powerful nor technology-driven. It drives on a 68 bhp, 18kgm Torque, Direct Injection Engine which is one of the lowest powered Diesel Engine in our country. Anyway I am not here to bash Bolero....all I am saying is...please dont insult a Capable vehicle like Bolero by dragging it into the SUV category and measuring its strengths.

IMO in India SUVs start at Endeavour and Tucson. Safaris and Scorpios are wannabe SUVs and just about get away with it....anything below that Bolero, Sumo, Grand, Gypsy and stuff are less than SUVs by a significant margin.
Old 7th July 2008, 16:51   #53
BANNED

Quote:
But to me SUV is a niche category.
This one line tells us what we all need to understand. I, me myself is different from you,they and others.
Old 7th July 2008, 16:52   #54
BANNED

hi Pani,
your points made are well appreciated as far as your own internal classification is concerned.
Its more like I guess, what vehicles you personally would consider to be worthy of calling an SUV and what vehicles would not be worthy of such a classification. The dear old Bolero is a first class budget Multi Utility vehicle - an MUV in fact would be the correct classification I guess,but to some people it might even be considered to be a Budget SUV! - I have owned and enjoyed one for some years and I am a firm Bolero aficionado. Yes, it is not sophisticated and doesnt have many of the bells and whistles that other vehicles do, but it performs its job admirably and clearly it appears that all those who need such capabilities, have responded by simply buying it - this reflects in its sales figures.
It is true as I earlier mentioned that the classification SUV can be used rather loosely to describe these kinds of vehicles.
Cheers

Quote:
Shankar Buddy,
I wouldnt argue much here...because I know a generic term like SUV can be bent and twisted to be suitable to anything from a Mahindra Commander to a Honda CRV. But to me SUV is a niche category. It represents a sophisticated vehicle with a powerful Engine which can virtually go anywhere. Off-Road is its natural home. Its a combination of sophistication, robustness, technology and power. IMO it is not a People Mover.

Bolero to me is just a decent looking people mover. It is neither sophisticated nor powerful nor technology-driven. It drives on a 68 bhp, 18kgm Torque, Direct Injection Engine which is one of the lowest powered Diesel Engine in our country. Anyway I am not here to bash Bolero....all I am saying is...please dont insult a Capable vehicle like Bolero by dragging it into the SUV category and measuring its strengths.

IMO in India SUVs start at Endeavour and Tucson. Safaris and Scorpios are wannabe SUVs and just about get away with it....anything below that Bolero, Sumo, Grand, Gypsy and stuff are less than SUVs by a significant margin.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th July 2008 at 16:56.
Old 7th July 2008, 17:07   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
This one line tells us what we all need to understand. I, me myself is different from you,they and others.
Yes true...who am I to define SUV for the mass ?
I can only write what I understand by SUV. I could be wrong and would be happy to be corrected...
Old 7th July 2008, 17:09   #56
BANNED

@jp1 - foldable split rear seat would be lovely. i agree it is a highly practical and reliable vehicle. Also it would be lovely if they would simply stick the Old Non Crde Turbo 2.6 of the Scorpio into it and offer that as a variant apart from offering a higher end variant with the Crde Scorpio 2.6 in it - that would be brilliant. I hear it is expected to happen quite soon though - the Crde Bolero.
@vasudeva - bolero is superb for towing - i had fixed a tow hook in mine and indeed in the floods of 2005 in Bangalore, pulled several other cars out of trouble when they got bogged down in drains, ditches and mud.
@vinaykiran - agree that it is probably the best in that kind of budget UV segment and I also agree that the Bolero's looks circa 2005 were better than this new one.
@PradeepKumar - yes the Bolero had more drivers legroom than the Scorpio has - I also felt the same when upgrading from Bolero to Scorpio.
@rjstyles69- new bumper is useful but only till it lasts- apparently the flaps at the bottom which are supposed to prevent the mud and water splashing onto the bonnet, actually are only stuck on the main bumper and not screwed on, like they should be.
cheerio
Old 7th July 2008, 17:18   #57
Senior - BHPian

It is not a typo, extreme torque. And you can safely believe it. Whats more, it travelled 20K km more since that 8.5 lakh kilometres.

To demystify it, it runs as a daily newspaper transport vehicle and it clocks about 420 km per day.

As for the space inside, the Bolero is less wide than the Sumo and shorter too. But the front and middle row are quite spacious and very comfortable.

The DI version is noisy but to many it sound good what with the grunt it emits when the acc pedal is applied. Driving is less taxing in city conditions, especially with the DI - 4 speed gear box version.

It is fuel efficient too. Gives about 14 -16 kmpl.
Old 7th July 2008, 17:33   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am still not getting this...why is this thread carrying a name "India's largest selling SUV" ???

Bolero is a hardcore Utility Vehicle....not even close to anything SUVish.
Even Scorpio struggles to be an SUV.....
Whats the point ?
If Honda CRV and Chevy Captiva can be called SUVs then Bolero which is built on the legendary Jeep chassis definetly qualifies as a SUV. There is no rule that an SUV has be technologically sophisticated or powerful. The Gypsy is one of the best SUVs and is neither powerful or sophisticated.

MUV would be something like Quails, Rhino or Innova. Bolero may be used by the customer as an MUV because of its toughness.

I suggest you browse the 4x4 section and check out a sport called 'off-roading' which is dominated by the Bolero's brothers and cousins. You will understand that its is not about 0-60 or horsepower.

Last edited by Mpower : 7th July 2008 at 17:46.
Old 7th July 2008, 17:52   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And here I am thinking I own a SUV, I can't believe you don't consider GV as a SUV.

I always believed that a high GC 4WD passenger vehicle with all the sedan comforts is a SUV, and it should resemble a Jeep more than a sedan. Then I came back to India and saw 2WD SUVs like Endeavor. So my latest definition of SUV is Jeep shaped vehicle with car like comforts, irrespective of 4WD.
Old 7th July 2008, 18:41   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
And here I am thinking I own a SUV, I can't believe you don't consider GV as a SUV.

I always believed that a high GC 4WD passenger vehicle with all the sedan comforts is a SUV, and it should resemble a Jeep more than a sedan. Then I came back to India and saw 2WD SUVs like Endeavor. So my latest definition of SUV is Jeep shaped vehicle with car like comforts, irrespective of 4WD.
Sorry I missed GV...
I agree with your defination of SUV as well.

Most Viewed