Team-BHP - Power/Speed Vs Regular Petrol
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Power/Speed Vs Regular Petrol (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/35276-power-speed-vs-regular-petrol.html)

I have a 2007 June Ford Ikon & March Activa, I always got speed petrol in both, never regular petrol until mid January, until i had a problem with the Activa. The problem was that if i left the throttle completely and accelerated even a bit the engine simply conked off, also the engine kind of coughed when i hit the throttle.
When i took it down to the Honda service center for a regular servicing i told the maintainence advisor about it and he asked all kind of details until it came to fuel...and asked whether i get 2T mix because its a scooter, And i got pissed and told him that I always got the higher octane.
He nailed the cause of the problem to be Speed, he says that speed has additives which stick to the carb jets clogging them, so the engine turns off at low RPM. He got the Carb cleaned and also billed me for a complete tank cleaning. However the problem persisted.
While giving the Ikon for servicing I asked them, saying that i was considering getting only Speed, even the ford guy gave a similar explanation and suggested us not to get speed at all, and that it has "Chickna" sticky stuff in it that clogs.
I wasn't able to buy the theory, I thought that Speed/Power was a higher Octane (92 or 93 against the regular 88) & in newer engines it prevents knocking. And also i dont trust the Ford guys, coz when i wanted to get a double horn fixed, all the explanation they gave was that the wiring will burn up coz 2 horns will consume all the current, having used it on the kine for over 7 years, which i wired my self and also my 118NE came with those horns! Cant have was no explanation.
And I was passing my Kine's mechanic today, with the switching off problem of the active still there i asked him to take a look & and it turned out that the air screw on the carb was very tight, he set it and it flys now, no coughing either. This made me really wanna know, if there is a problem with the higher octane petrol with additives?
Im curious coz it doesnt make sence, if there is a problem, why do they sell it? I always got speed even for the kine, i knew it didnt help the old engine but at just approx 1.4 rupees more its was worth it also i didnt have to wait in a long line in the morning.
Is there some thing really bad about speed or is it that they are just blaming something so that they can over bill me?

Have had a kind of similar experience. There was no problem with my car but i filled Speed or Power (Dont remember which) and once when i had taken my car for servicing, the mechanic told me the exact same thing that it sticks and hence builds up more carbon in the engine than normal petrol. Since my car is pretty old i took his advice and fill normal petrol since then.

Can someone with technical know how or experience with these Petrols clarify on this topic???

Hi gendarmee, I have been using Speed / Power in my car and also my wife's 16 year Kinetic Honda for more than a year now. I havent faced any problem similar to those mentioned by you. On the contrary, I have noticed that the engine runs much smoother and strangely, the mileage lower by about a km or two !!

i think your problem is similar to this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ludge-oil.html

Thanks for the link.
I searched a lot yesterday but didn't find any related link.

But that thread has a different approach, speed causing sludge.
But the ford and Honda guys say that the Additives in the higher octane clog the fuel supply to the engine....how true is that?

Some detailed explanation on this topic -
https://www.cars24.com/blog/octane-n...ck-or-reality/

Are premium fuels worth it?
This is mostly a subjective question. While we certainly can say that premium fuels have their benefits and are not marketing gimmicks, their usefulness is tad necessity-based. The only exception is in the case if you own a premium sedan or a performance oriented car which specifically demands a minimum octane rating of 93 or above. In such cases, it is absolutely necessary to hunt for that petrol pump which serves the same or use octane booster additives. In any other car, normal fuel will run just fine without suffering from engine knock. Ideally, if your car’s engine has a compression ratio (usually mentioned in the owner’s manual) of less than 11:0 it will run fine on normal petrol.

octane number and premium fuels choose

Coming to the topic of premium fuels with the same octane rating of 91, they do help a little. The detergents are actually effective in keeping the insides of the engine clean. This will certainly ensure smoother and better operation of the engine in the long run but not to the extent that fuel corporations might say in their ads. Even that difference to most people, might not be very noticeable. Unless you are a hardcore car enthusiast and care about the really intricate details, you will be very much happy using normal petrol on a regular basis.

The government keeps revising their standards and have currently set the minimum octane rating as 91 to ensure that it’s suitable for the majority. So, normal fuel will do just fine for your car as long as the required octane rating matches. You will, however, notice an increase in smoothness of operation if you increase the octane rating. Not a bad idea to give it a shot once a while.