Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2008, 10:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Embera looks decent but interior shouts taxi. Diesel version not much different from the Elantra. Why are we paying more? Saw a petrol advertised for Rs 10L a couple of weeks back.
get your facts right.
Diesel sonata may have the same displacement as elantra, but its engine is completely new. Elantra's engine had 112 bhp, sonata's engine has 142 bhp. Sonata is a class above from elantra. Its a size bigger, a class bigger with the best rear seat comfort.
Stability at high speed is also better than accord.
and, it has a 6-speed manual for better upshifts and better fuel economy.
the car's poor sales figures only indicates the perception of hyundai brand per se and not the product.

after all, god forbid if sonata breaks down in the middle, compare the service network that Hyundai has as compared to Honda.
Accord also had its fair share of recalls in the beginning but its resale value is decent just because of the brand perception of Japan vs Korea.

kindly post a scan of the ad where sonata was advertised for 10L.
sonata embera NEVER sold for 10L. at least it was discounted at the most to 12.38L, ex-delhi.

if you think the interior screams taxi, your negative prceptions will be dismissed by this:

(ps: the images of the interior are mirrored to get a good idea of RHD)

Old 10th February 2008, 10:20   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
get your facts right.
Get your tone right
Quote:
Diesel sonata may have the same displacement as elantra, but its engine is completely new. Elantra's engine had 112 bhp, sonata's engine has 142 bhp. Sonata is a class above from elantra. Its a size bigger, a class bigger with the best rear seat comfort.
Stability at high speed is also better than accord.
We know - have you tried ann Elantra with a Pete's box on stage 2 ? It's performance makes the Sonata diesel with its weight penalty look weedy

and, it has a 6-speed manual for better upshifts and better fuel economy.
the car's poor sales figures only indicates the perception of hyundai brand per se and not the product.

Quote:
Accord also had its fair share of recalls in the beginning but its resale value is decent just because of the brand perception of Japan vs Korea.
Well Hyundai ought to do something about it

Quote:
kindly post a scan of the ad where sonata was advertised for 10L.
sonata embera NEVER sold for 10L.
It did secondhand - i am talking about secondhand values

Quote:
if you think the interior screams taxi, your negative prceptions will be dismissed by this:
i am talking about what we actually get, what you show is the new version available abroad. Pics say one thing, go to the showroom and touch/feel
Old 10th February 2008, 11:02   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Well Hyundai ought to do something about it
Fairly OT , but i was just looking at two of hyundai's mini-sites (websites) today and they were absolutely amazing.
I was thinking that if brand perception was judged by websites, hyundai would be up there with mercedes (who also has some phenomenal websites).
Here is one - will take while to load though Think About It – Sedans, SUVs, Minivans and Coupes from Hyundai Motor America

cya
R
Old 10th February 2008, 11:15   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

(ps: the images of the interior are mirrored to get a good idea of RHD)

The pictures you post are of the 2009 US model Sonata which are not available here.

The interiors of the one available here are distinctly down market and resemble the Verna's.

If we compare the one available here as shown in the pics below you'll understand better.

http://carazoo.com/NEW_CAR_SEARCH/Hy...-Bangalore.chm

Those interiors aint so hot.

The indian version interiors are different compared to the ones sold abroad.
Old 11th February 2008, 02:31   #20
BHPian

Its not worth buying high end cars in the second hand market cause the warrenty would have run out and repairs and maintainence would be very very expensive
I purchased a skoda laura for my dad at that time i was wondering should i buy him a second hand merc instead of the new laura lucky i didnt do that cause my dad would have to keep aside 15 to 20 lakhs for maintainence /accident repairs
for eg he scraped the outside rvm of the laura on our gatepost and he had to replace the inside mirror and motor cost=Rs 9,500/- if i had purchased a second hand merc the side mirror would have cost Rs 1,25,000/-
Old 14th February 2008, 15:41   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Swift LXi - has nothing, you get nothing for a decent driving machine. makes a good strip down candidate for a track day car

Swift ZXi - - will cost as much as a Vxi secondhand- Indians have a death wish as they do not value the safety features which this car is about.
I don't think that Swift ZXi & Swift LXi is having poor resale value. Based on my experience, the price diff. that's existing in used car market is same as the price diff. for new cars.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:39   #22
BHPian

@mithun,
I think compared to the Swift Lxi and ZXi; a lot of people prefer the Vxi and maybe that explains the Price drop in the second hand market for the former models
Old 19th February 2008, 14:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
after all, god forbid if sonata breaks down in the middle, compare the service network that Hyundai has as compared to Honda.
This whole service network bit justification is a bit rich now. I would prefer a car that rarely breaks down (and thus no need to go to the `wide service network' and get ripped) rather than a car with a wide service network but that breaks down more often (no Sonata and Accord comparisons here).

Since Sonata hardly sells here, it may be useful to see its resale values in its largest market. In US, a new 2008 one sells for US$ 18-24K. Resale prices prosted on ConsumerReports:

2007: 13-18K
2006: 10-14K
2005: 8-12K
2004: 6-10K

A 2008 Accord sells for 20-31K. Used prices:
2007: 16-22K
2006: 12-21K
2005: 11-20K
2004: 9-17K

Apart from its brand name (no one with above median income wants to pose with a Hyundai), Hyundai has also been hurt by high rental sales, and till recently ts price competition with used cars sold by rental fleets (a new Hyundai competed with 6-12 months used rental cars, and was priced accordingly).
Old 19th February 2008, 21:49   #24

I think theres another diamond in the rough
The honda accord 2.3vti both auto and manual - lots in mint condition, low mileage in delhi. From what i've gathered '01-'03 vti's going for 3.5-4.5l and the current gen '04 going for 7.5-8.5l.

Now about the sonata including the future '09 (from the pics posted) - I personally think the current and pre update ('04-'06) looks way better inside and out (looks matter a great deal to the indian buyer), i'm not taking performance into account. Just one of the many reasons for low resale value (others have pointed out the rest), which leaves a great oppurtunity for used sonata buyers.

@ajmat - Great thread man. i had a quick question regarding the terracan (couple mint for sale at 4-5l). As it is a beefy pajero under its skin how does it hold upto the HM pajeros sold here? and more if possible.

Cheers
Old 19th February 2008, 23:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

good compilation -

maybe a ready reckoner for a used car buyer to look for cheap deals in the market segment wise !!

but my views on some of the cars

AVEO/UVA- i dont think its a case of flopping due to no single good feature. actually its strength is its multiple benefits of decent power, good space and mileage. but then i think brandnames play a BIG BIG role in india and we are just obsessed with 1/2 names at the most in every segment. inherently indians dont take too much risk on brand names i feel...

why is the accord 2.4, swift lxi, zxi listed as low on resale value? i thot it commanded relatively good resale values?

lastly i feel many cars listed here also did NOT do well NOT just because of marketing related mistakes but also due to genuine deficiencies in their specs/performance in comparison to competitiors in the market and what customers expected out of them in that segment
Old 20th February 2008, 08:14   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ajmat - Great thread man. i had a quick question regarding the terracan (couple mint for sale at 4-5l). As it is a beefy pajero under its skin how does it hold upto the HM pajeros sold here? and more if possible

I have no idea but I think it will do 75% of job at least

Quote:
hy is the accord 2.4, swift lxi, zxi listed as low on resale value? i thot it commanded relatively good resale values?
The 2.4 commands good values now but in 6 months it will be different when the new one arrives. Swifts - Lxi - People would rather pay for the goodies in a Vxi. Zxi - no one wants to pay for safety
Old 20th February 2008, 08:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Good list ajmat, thanks for posting.

Any idea how much does the 1st gen Sonata sells for ?

I really wonder why people are posting US sales\resale price figures, these are two different markets so lets just concentrate only on Indian market.
Old 20th February 2008, 11:39   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any idea how much does the 1st gen Sonata sells for ?
I have seen an example going for as low as 3.5 lacs! However the car was, that sure is a lot for your money.
Old 20th February 2008, 12:19   #29
BHPian

2nd hand terracan for 4-5laks??
Old 20th February 2008, 12:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thats interesting, how are the maintenance costs ? A friend of mine is in for 2nd hand sedan, he has budget for new Hatch but wants a sedan hence 2nd hand. But maintenance should not be exorbitant.

Most Viewed