Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2011, 12:45   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Resale Value - The Killer opportunity

My petrol Indica Vista, a 2009 model has a value of 1.61 lacs right now in the market. I had got it for 4 lacs on road. I dont think i will sell it for another 1-2 years. No point.
Old 14th November 2011, 12:56   #47
BHPian

Hi Ajmat, Nice post.
Sorry if It's off topic but I just have a query since you have not listed the Lancer in your post.
I would just like to mention that I was looking for a used City or Baleno a month ago (Upgrading from my esteem), but unfortunately none of the examples that I saw were in good shape (Either there were used and abused or overly priced).
I finally settled for a 2005 Lancer glx (Which was not on my list in the very first place) with 60K on the odo and well maintained for 1.8L (Belonged to a collegue of mine).
The car has minor suspension work but otherwise runs like a dream and i must tell you that am pretty satisfied with my ride
Now the question is, is 1.8 L a good deal for the car?
Old 14th November 2011, 13:08   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
My petrol Indica Vista, a 2009 model has a value of 1.61 lacs right now in the market. I had got it for 4 lacs on road. I dont think i will sell it for another 1-2 years. No point.
Thats really a very low price for a 2009 model. My 2006 WagonR @ 63000Kms went for 2.25 lacs. Whats the mileage in your ODO?

I bought my WagonR for 3.85 lacs after discount.
Old 14th November 2011, 14:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Thats really a very low price for a 2009 model. My 2006 WagonR @ 63000Kms went for 2.25 lacs. Whats the mileage in your ODO?

I bought my WagonR for 3.85 lacs after discount.
The mileage is only 22k in 2 years and 3 months. But, I am sure if I sell it to an individual I will get around 2-2.25 lacs. 1.61 is the price quoted by the dealer and dealers always give very low price.
Old 14th November 2011, 14:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

WagonR holds its resale price very well, unlike Indica. I think it is best to buy such vehicles new who keep their resale value high, and buy others with falling resale value second hand.
Old 14th November 2011, 15:16   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

the wicked KGA online timesheet eh?
enjoy!
good thread though. very insightful.
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Actually, completed it when booking a timesheet- splitsecond timing is required!
i really appreciate these thoughts as you have penned down Ajmat.
just a small submission - while it is indeed very sensible to buy a slightly used top end car for funny money, one also needs to have the "readies" available easily on call to execute the same. For example I was thinking of an used Nissan X Trail - but the only ones available are 5-6 year old examples with very high mileage on the clock. And the asking prices are in the region of 12-13 lacs. Or the used Tucsons in the market which have also done a lot of mileage and whose asking prices are anywhere between 7.5 and 9.5 lacs - too steep in my opinion for a vehicle that is completely out of production.
So, most of us guys in India buy something which we really want, but for which we need to take some sort of loan. In my case now Im thinking Brand New Yeti - but to achieve that level of readies I shall have to wait longer, defer my purchase and save. Trouble is the new age - instant gratification greed which gets in the way of the above!
More so in the case of corporate people who have to live with the vehicle allocated to their grade of employment OR shell out a substantial differential sum over and above their entitlement to get something of their choice.
cheers

Last edited by benbsb29 : 14th November 2011 at 15:26. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts.
Old 14th November 2011, 15:30   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
The mileage is only 22k in 2 years and 3 months. But, I am sure if I sell it to an individual I will get around 2-2.25 lacs. 1.61 is the price quoted by the dealer and dealers always give very low price.
Yes, it is better to sell it to a individual than to the dealer. I sold it to an individual only. When I checked with several dealers they quoted starting from 1.65 to 2.15 lacs.

Also, you can check for the value/price in carwale.com.
Old 14th November 2011, 16:29   #53
Team-BHP Support

Shankar

You will find most people buy new cars since it is easier to finance this and stump up the cash.

Nearly new cars are better value but the prices that they are retailed at by dealers, make it more favourable to buy new. The only folks who buy these cars are people with less "visible" money
Old 14th November 2011, 18:03   #54
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You will find most people buy new cars since it is easier to finance this and stump up the cash.

Nearly new cars are better value but the prices that they are retailed at by dealers, make it more favourable to buy new. The only folks who buy these cars are people with less "visible" money
Like the term "Less VISIBLE Money"

Time for an update to the first post Ajmat for todays cars at todays prices.

T-Jet, new Altis, fortuner? Aria, 3 Series, X1, Old X3, A4, C-Class revisied, Yeti not yet, Endy AT, Pajero SFX with the new Pajero sport coming, Scorpos and Safari post XUV (or rather all cars). Lots of changes since 2008 and a lot more nice deals to go around - Petrol price has gone even more northward and that makes for even sweeter deals for petrol cars that you want as the second or third car to just drop the kids to school and for the weekend rush of power. (I mean if there is power)
Old 14th November 2011, 19:11   #55
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yessir!

I have been scouring the used car websites and trawling carwale and suchlike daily these last 6-8 months in the hope of locating something I liked. Have seen several vehicles in the type of my preference - also seen nice vehicles like Octy Combis and so on.

And some C Class Mercs at 13 lacs and so forth. Very attractive seemingly, but dont know how they will be beneath the shiny veneer!

Unfortunately most of these dealers are quite difficult to work with and to me, seem pretty unscrupulous. Each one bad mouths the other and they accuse each other of fiddling the mileage on the clock and a myriad other wickednesses.

Frankly if we also had access to a "Mike's Motors" a la Discover Turbo I would be more than pleased to plonk some cash down and buy. Else one will have to wait a few more years till the market matures a bit more and the used car market gets corporatized.

so as of this moment im resigned to spending some of my savings and buying brand new by taking a loan to finance the remainder.
also, I think as of now I will be happier buying new.

by the time I go along to sell on whatever I buy now, (in a few years time all going well), Im sure the market would have matured much more. even right now to sell my well kept Scorp Im finding it very difficult to deal with the dealers - they have no sense of gentlemanliness and decency in my experience.

Quote:
Shankar

Old 14th November 2011, 20:52   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

@Shankar, used car dealerships are going to be like that. I would suggest keeping an eye open for individual sellers, even outside BLR.
Old 15th November 2011, 17:11   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
A person from "First Choice" visited me to have a look at my Fusion TDCi. He said that they are having a lot of stock of Petrol Cars. They are being forced to sell at a loss of between 30K - 50K.

All petrol cars will have a problem when it comes to resale.
OT: Are you selling your Fusion? I always liked the car, please let me know if you are indeed selling it.

Ajmat: Time to re-visit the thread for sure. The market is ripe for "value buys"
Old 15th November 2011, 21:03   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
Hi Ajmat, Nice post.
Sorry if It's off topic but I just have a query since you have not listed the Lancer in your post.
I would just like to mention that I was looking for a used City or Baleno a month ago (Upgrading from my esteem), but unfortunately none of the examples that I saw were in good shape (Either there were used and abused or overly priced).
I finally settled for a 2005 Lancer glx (Which was not on my list in the very first place) with 60K on the odo and well maintained for 1.8L (Belonged to a collegue of mine).
The car has minor suspension work but otherwise runs like a dream and i must tell you that am pretty satisfied with my ride
Now the question is, is 1.8 L a good deal for the car?
pl let us know your experience in servicing suspension about availability and price of parts for lancer. Also driving experience in handling and ride quality.
Old 16th November 2011, 09:16   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
pl let us know your experience in servicing suspension about availability and price of parts for lancer. Also driving experience in handling and ride quality.
I have not given the car for suspension yet. But when i spoke to my mechanic, he said that the front left suspension (Which is giving some trouble) can cost anything between 3 to 8k depending on the damage which can be assessed only after he has a look. Should be taking the car to him sometime next week.
As far as my experience with the car till date. Let's just say its "SUPERB". Will post a detailed review shortly
Old 10th August 2012, 15:57   #60
Team-BHP Support

I did a quick calculation on my (pre-owned) Wagon R.

I bought her in Sept 2006.
Paid Rs 3.23 Lakhs.

If I were to sell the car today, I am sure of getting 1.5 lakhs.

Depreciation over 6 years is 1.73 lakhs.

Or 23,000 for each year.

That is less than 2,000 rupee per month of owning a reliable car with low maintenance costs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks