Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2008, 11:22   #1
BHPian

1.3 MJD - What's special?

Hello everybody,

There is much talk about the 1.3 MJD! It is available currently in the Swift diesel and is eargely awaited in its palio stile avatar.

Fiat MultiJet Diesel Wins Engine Of The Year Award

The judge in the above article showers plaudits on this engine. It sure is a smart design and like the above report suggests, in comparison to several other diesels around!

Q1: What is not clear to me (and many others, I would imagine) is, in the indian context, where diesel is more affordable than pertol - is this engine the answer to the regular diesels which supposedly are costly to maintain and suggested only if the usage is high?

Q2: Is the 1.3 MJD (whichever car it is fitterd in) the right choice for an average city user who is fine with the high initial cost, but wants a low operating expenses solution to his mobility needs?

Folks, the idea is to keep this discussion car neutral and engine (1.3L MJD) specific.

Please share your thoughts and enlighthen many a puzzled soul.

Thanks!
Old 9th February 2008, 20:16   #2
BHPian

Hi!

Here is my opinion from an Italian side
It is a superb engine!!!
On Q1, I think that YES is the answer!
On Q2, I think that YES is the answer!

My brother has that engine on his Punto, I think is around 100000km and is running flawlessly, just regular maintenance. Is using it mainly in city with short distances, no probs, as well as long trips of around 1000km.
Unfortunately in Italy diesel fuel price are just few eurocent below petrol, but still convenient to have a diesel...
And after all, if the 1.3 Multijet has been chosed by Opel and Suzuki a reason of quality must be there!

Ciao!

Ignazio
Old 9th February 2008, 22:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

The answer is Yes to both the questions. Have you searched the separate thread running for Fiat 1.3 MJD?
Old 9th February 2008, 23:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Answers in Bold

Q1: What is not clear to me (and many others, I would imagine) is, in the indian context, where diesel is more affordable than pertol - is this engine the answer to the regular diesels which supposedly are costly to maintain and suggested only if the usage is high?

Yes it is the answer to other regular diesels which even though they were fuel efficient, they were not easy and cheap to maintain.

Q2: Is the 1.3 MJD (whichever car it is fitterd in) the right choice for an average city user who is fine with the high initial cost, but wants a low operating expenses solution to his mobility needs?

Yes it is absolutely the right choice. The Swift D the only car with this engine in India as of now returns a phenomenal mileage. That is the reason most of the people dont mind the high initial cost. It breaks even extremely quickly.
Old 10th February 2008, 08:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Just found out that Fiat is lighter than a Swift!

And it will be 80bhp?
Old 10th February 2008, 11:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
The answer is Yes to both the questions. Have you searched the separate thread running for Fiat 1.3 MJD?
Yes, but the discussion on that thread is more Fiat Palio Stile specific and does not discuss the the virtues of 1.3 MJD per se.
Old 10th February 2008, 11:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignazio View Post
Hi!

Here is my opinion from an Italian side
It is a superb engine!!!
On Q1, I think that YES is the answer!
On Q2, I think that YES is the answer!

My brother has that engine on his Punto, I think is around 100000km and is running flawlessly, just regular maintenance. Is using it mainly in city with short distances, no probs, as well as long trips of around 1000km.
Unfortunately in Italy diesel fuel price are just few eurocent below petrol, but still convenient to have a diesel...
And after all, if the 1.3 Multijet has been chosed by Opel and Suzuki a reason of quality must be there!

Ciao!

Ignazio

Grazie!

Indeed, there must be a reason. The considerable pricing difference between diesel and petrol in India can translate to low operating costs and that is where I believe, any car with a 1.3L MJD will have an edge over its petrol version

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks