Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2008, 16:42   #31
BHPian

The link to the earlier discussion was an eye opener. Not many factor in the interest on the extra 1 lakhfor a diesel. If one buys the diesel on finance, the break even point gets pushed further into the future.
Old 31st March 2008, 17:27   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Verna i -- 6.56
Verna VGT - 7.91..
I think you need to compare Verna Xi with Verna VGT since both the variants have almost the same features.
Old 31st March 2008, 17:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
The biggest cost saving with Diesel engine is fuel cost and milage. Recently I covered around 1470 KM's (735 one way) in my Logan 1.5 DLS (Diesel) on NH2 and what I spent on Diesel is give below:

Distance: 1470 KM
Average Speed: 66 KMPH
Fuel Consumed: 77.4 ltr
Fuel Cost: Rs. 2476.8 (@32)
Average: 19 kmpl

Expected same if I had petrol Logan:

Distance: 1470 KM
Average Speed: 66 KMPH
Fuel Consumed: 98 ltr
Fuel Cost: Rs. 4606 (@47)
Average: 15 kmpl
For a single trip, a diesel will always turn out to be cheaper. The equations changes in the long run (ie additional initial cost of diesel engine and some extra maintanance). That's when the kms run comes into picture.
Old 1st April 2008, 00:03   #34
anb
BHPian

Mod's Note: Post deleted. Please do run a spellchecker through your post before you post the message. Your post is almost unreadable!

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2008 at 14:29.
anb is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st April 2008, 17:51   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
druva - You forgot to mention one things. Diesels are more fun to drive then petrols, they have more torque then petrols.
I think very few people actually appreciate that.
Old 13th May 2008, 12:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

did some math between Indigo CS LS petrol and Dicor.
Attachment 14999

I could not include the service costs, as i am not aware of those.

please comment.

PS: conclusion is left to the readers.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 13th May 2008 at 12:24.
Old 14th May 2008, 05:01   #37
BHPian

not able to see the attachment
Old 14th May 2008, 09:23   #38
BHPian

my 2c..

I would like to mention something here..

Ships are the safest while at the harbour, but thats not what its built in the first place for. Similarly cars are bought to be driven. It is an insult to a modern machine to buy it and not/sparingly use it. Cars are not meant to be at the garage all the time..

In my opinion, if someone doesn't drive a car for atleast 8k-10k kms in an year (irrespective of petrol or diesel) it doesn't make much economic sense to even buy it. Why? Read below.

Lets say I buy a Verna for 9L and I drive 20,000 kms in 5 years and sell it for 4.5L. The final TCO stands as follows:
Capital cost (depreciated) : 4.5L
Running cost (fuel@Rs4/km) : 0.8L
Storage cost (parking space@2k/month) : 1.2L
Actual value enjoyed = Usage / Total cost = 0.8/6.5 = approx. 12%!!

So I've effectively made use of & enjoyed only 12% of my actual expenditure. Do this calculation and see how much of the total cost spent is actually running cost over a car's lifetime. IMHO it should atleast be 50%. Isn't it a shame to a machine like Verna that most of its prime life is spent parked and not driven?

People who are enthusiasts and love, respect their cars will use it. Not keep it parked most of the time. So petrol or diesel, please use your cars.. And the more you use it the more it makes sense to go for diesel in India.
Old 14th May 2008, 17:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineOptimist View Post
I would like to mention something here..

Ships are the safest while at the harbour, but thats not what its built in the first place for. Similarly cars are bought to be driven. It is an insult to a modern machine to buy it and not/sparingly use it. Cars are not meant to be at the garage all the time..

In my opinion, if someone doesn't drive a car for atleast 8k-10k kms in an year (irrespective of petrol or diesel) it doesn't make much economic sense to even buy it. Why? Read below.

People who are enthusiasts and love, respect their cars will use it. Not keep it parked most of the time. So petrol or diesel, please use your cars.. And the more you use it the more it makes sense to go for diesel in India.
Perfectly agree with what you have said above. I did not delve too much into the calculations that you had given since I am not very strong in that area (math i mean). But in laymans terms if a person does not use a car for atleast 10k kms in a year, there is no point in having a car (petrol/diesel).

I used to do 15k kms a year when having a santro LE model. Then i switched over to an Indica DLG and boy oh boy!! What savings in terms of running cost and also per trip calculations. It just inspires you to drive more and more. Have done close to 45k kms in 3 years 3 months & it has saved me a lot when compared to the same mileage on a Santro LE. Of course, kmpl is also more on the Indica compared to Petrol Santro LE (17 kmpl in Santro and it did not have AC or PS... 19 kmpl in Indica with PS & AC, AC on 90-100% on long drives and 20-30% in city driving)
Old 14th May 2008, 17:20   #40
BHPian

The Major advantage in diesel is you get bigger engine (1.5 Lit) and still pay 12 % tax against 24% if it is petrol, as 12% tax benefiit is limited to 1.2Lit engine.

But Price between 1.3L Swift petrol and Diesel is almost 1 Lac. Despite the fact that petrol car pays 24% tax and Diesel car pays just 12%. Imagine the difference in price (Money that MUL makes with Swift diesel), if 1.2 lit petrol swift is launched.

Other option is we can run the Diesel engine in corn oil, Jatropa, etc in near future. Or fitting "Italian Hybrid Kit" from local mechanic @ 2010.

Last edited by TeddyBear : 14th May 2008 at 17:21.
Old 15th May 2008, 10:50   #41
BHPian

what?

Can diesel cars be run with Corn Oil or Jatropha? Doesn't this affect the engine and other parts?
Old 17th May 2008, 13:35   #42
BHPian

In most international markets, diesel is already more expensive than petrol. For eg in the US a gallon of diesel is 4.5$ while a gallon of petrol is 4$. (There are practically no taxes on petrol/diesel in the US. Just a measly 17cent tax per gallon)

I dont know how long would the govt keep on subsiding diesel and petrol. If the true cost is passed on to the users, right now petrol and diesel should ideally be costing us around 90 Rs a litre.

If that happens, its time to get back to riding bicycles. :-)
Old 17th May 2008, 18:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
For a single trip, a diesel will always turn out to be cheaper. The equations changes in the long run (ie additional initial cost of diesel engine and some extra maintanance). That's when the kms run comes into picture.
Suppose i tweak the equation a little

Diesel Logan
Distance/month: 1000 KM
Average Speed: 0-35 KMPH (Heavy Stop & Go Traffic in Mumbai)
Fuel Consumed: 83.33 ltr
Fuel Cost: Rs. 3000 (@36)
Average: 12 kmpl (with 100% a/c)

Expected same if I had petrol car:

Distance/month: 1000 KM
Average Speed: 0-35 KMPH
Fuel Consumed: 117.65 ltr
Fuel Cost: Rs. 6000 (@51)
Average: 8.5 kmpl (with 100% a/c)

(PETROL CARS ARE LESSER FUEL EFFICIENT THAN DIESEL ESPECIALLY IN HEAVY TRAFFIC; MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE)

this excludes forthnightly away trips

So, my perspective, & solely my opinion, is that not only does doing more kms/year matter but also driving conditions play a big part.

cheers:
Anil
Old 17th May 2008, 19:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

In India everything go by HYPE and common man falls prey to this which is very unfortunate.

People who commute around 1000km per month buy Diesel by calculating fuel bill. When we consider all into the account I feel Petrol and Diesel won't make much difference.

In City driving condition Diesel vehicle with good torque is ideal choice while on highway cruising Petrol gives best comfort with excellant pickup with Ac on.

In few years the HYPE about Diesel cars will cool down and Petrol and Diesel will have same value.

I am sure right now car manufacturers making more money by selling Diesel cars.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 17th May 2008, 22:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

Ravi,

to add to your point, cars like swift diesel or dZire are fantastic for mid traffic roll ons, but for someone in urban crawls - the turbo lag is downright irritating. Ditto shame for Indica/go TDIs. While say a UVA/i10 would be driving happily in clutch traffic!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks