Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2008, 14:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Jokes apart, you guys have got any idea how these ratings are taken into account by JD power? i.e., do these people collect data from past 6 months to 1 year and then decide on the ratings or is it just a month's data compiled?
As far as I can remember, they use first 90 days data for IQS analysis. (Or is that 180 days? Boy, I am confused now )
Old 11th February 2008, 15:42   #17
BHPian

RX, the IQS is based on the first 90 days of ownership.

JDPower has taken a lot of flak owing to some questionable ratings / results, such as for their recent verdict on the best broadband service provider in the UK.

More info here:
J. D. Power and Associates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and here:
Tiscali in shock customer satisfaction win | The Register

Karthik, i think you should just go by your TD experience and feedback from t-bhpians who own the Prime, such as PatienceWins and Anju...
Old 11th February 2008, 15:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
My view is JD power should take the survey after 6 months and then compile data, then they will get the real and correct pictures of any QC issues. First 90 days is too early to decide. Suppose if the car buyer is 1st time driver and does not know much about cars and if there is small niggling issues which are minor (which might not be an actual issue) he will crib along and vote the vehicle down.

Quote:
Karthik, i think you should just go by your TD experience and feedback from t-bhpians who own the Prime, such as PatienceWins and Anju...
. TD the vehicles you short listed and if you like it just go there and buy the same of course with the inputs from t-bhpians.
Old 11th February 2008, 16:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Gunbir, you have the Getz. He's asking about the Getz Prime. We have been talking about Hyundai's quality drop - wonder if JD Power is seeing the same.
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly are the manufacturing or performance differences between Getz and Getz Prime? I own a Getz 2004 model and will go home today and compare. But AFAIK, it was more of a cosmetic difference rather than actual performance difference.

I TD both. A used Getz and a new Getz Prime and IMHO, I didnt find ANY difference between the two models.
Old 11th February 2008, 16:59   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

JDPower has taken a lot of flak owing to some questionable ratings / results,
Absolutely agreed! Take JD results with a pinch of salt, and decide based on your own testdrive / ownership reports.
Old 11th February 2008, 17:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

I own a Getz Prime 1.3 GLX, bought on May 2007.

Other than looks and interiors, there is absolutely no difference between Getz Prime and old Getz.

I have not had a single issue till now. I hope it will remain the same for a long long time

Getz is very comfortable , safe and reliable. Pickup should have been a little more. I would recommend this car!!
Old 11th February 2008, 17:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
as i have a petrol swift, I dont want another swift and the diesel one has waiting period running in months. After my ownership experience of siena 1.6 (read it tata service), i am not very confident in taking up palio mjd either - even though it is going to be a gem of a car for sure.

so i wanted a premium hatch that will be easy to maintain and will have a good resale value, as i will be selling it whenever i find a new car (in next 1-2 years) that fits my requirements.

guys, correct me if i am wrong.

- karthik
Karthik,

Why not get the Getz CRDi ? And when you decide on a new car in the next 1-2 years , sell the Swift ! Swift will be older than the Getz by that time, and might probably give you a better re-sale and you will continue enjoying the diesel power of the Getz.

Thats what I would do !

And coming to the JD power survey results, I would not read too much into that. I have friends who own the Getz for the last 2 years and besides regular servicing, not much is needed to keep the car going. It is reliable. I would suggest (as all have) to take a TD and trust your self.
Old 11th February 2008, 17:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Karthik,

Why not get the Getz CRDi ? And when you decide on a new car in the next 1-2 years , sell the Swift ! Swift will be older than the Getz by that time, and might probably give you a better re-sale and you will continue enjoying the diesel power of the Getz.

Thats what I would do !

And coming to the JD power survey results, I would not read too much into that. I have friends who own the Getz for the last 2 years and besides regular servicing, not much is needed to keep the car going. It is reliable. I would suggest (as all have) to take a TD and trust your self.

I am not going for Getz CRDi since my usage pattern is pretty low (25 km per day and few hundred km highway trips once in three months) and also that I am apprehensive about the Hyundai CRDi engines - heard some Accent CRDi horror stories related to the relatively short engine life. So, I have decided that if I ever buy the common rail diesel, then it should be the Fiat's MJD/DDiS, which is claimed to have a very high engine life comparatively. Above everything else, I was told by the blr dealer that the Getz CRDi has a waiting period of 3 months, which I cannot afford without a car

Regards,
Karthik.
Old 11th February 2008, 19:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

If the JD Power survey is your bible, you should be buying a Logan. It allegedly appeals to a lot of people.

Its unfortunate that long-standing reputations are being lost because of commercial influences - there is very little printed matter one can believe these days. It is ironic that in an age where so much information is available, one still has to go by test drive, instincts and direct feedback. Unless you're the sort that still believes what is presented on CNN, that is.
Old 11th February 2008, 21:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Based on what I heard from friends/relatives Getz/prime very good hatchback except low back seating (only tall people feels it), slightly low pickup meaning sluggish in few road condition, interiors look cheap.

Based on what I sat and saw Getz I found its super silent, sweat ride, best NVH levels.

Getz has bad resale value thats true.

In couple of years you will get best options ever since by that time premium hatchbacks of Toyota/Honda/Fiat would be stablized.

Since already you have Swift why another hatchback now? Lets wait for 2 years

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 12th February 2008, 09:11   #26
BHPian

I've had my Getz 1.3 since Feb 05. It's run 40k kms with only one issue, a cigarette lighter fuse that kept on blowing until I replaced the lighter. No other problems. It carries my family of five in great comfort, has more interior space than my Baleno.
Service in Goa has been exemplary at Goa Hyundai, while it has been abysmal at Alcon Hyundai.
Old 12th February 2008, 10:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
also that I am apprehensive about the Hyundai CRDi engines - heard some Accent CRDi horror stories related to the relatively short engine life.
As far as I know and have seen, there have been no problems on the CRDi engines on the Accent. In fact, a member here, drifter, had a CRDi Accent that was abused for over 80000 kms and the car ran like a dream.

Quote:
Above everything else, I was told by the blr dealer that the Getz CRDi has a waiting period of 3 months, which I cannot afford without a car
This sounds like a fair reason though.

Quote:
So, I have decided that if I ever buy the common rail diesel, then it should be the Fiat's MJD/DDiS, which is claimed to have a very high engine life comparatively.
Well to each his own. And you yourself say that its claimed the MJD has better life. But now since you do not want a diesel, and have doubts about the Getz, what options do you have ?

There is the Chevy U-VA. Its a nice, comfortable car too.
Old 12th February 2008, 10:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am apprehensive about the Hyundai CRDi engines - heard some Accent CRDi horror stories related to the relatively short engine life. So, I have decided that if I ever buy the common rail diesel, then it should be the Fiat's MJD/DDiS, which is claimed to have a very high engine life comparatively.
I believe that no one today makes bad cars. By bad cars I mean in terms of reliablity. When was the last time anyone of us saw any of the modern cars broken down by the side of the road with their bonnets open? For all you know, the vendors supplying diesel engine componants to Hyundai and Fiat maybe the same.
Old 12th February 2008, 10:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
But now since you do not want a diesel, and have doubts about the Getz, what options do you have ?
Hi NC,

It is not that I do not want a diesel hatch, but just that I am not able to find one (i dont like indica and its derivatives) under 6 lakhs. So, I have finally come down to my decision. I am planning to get a Swift D, if it is possible to get that under one month - just got hold of a person who assures me that he can get it under one month's time thro' a bangalore dealer who is known to him personally. If not, I am going to buy the Getz 1.1. I am not getting Chevy UVA as I really dont like its looks and interiors, IMHO.

Regards,
Karthik.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 12th February 2008 at 10:39.
Old 12th February 2008, 10:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to get a Swift D, if it is possible to get that under one month - just got hold of a person who assures me that he can get it under one month's time thro' a bangalore dealer who is known to him personally.
Hi ece2k2, I got my Swift D in Mumbai within 10 days of booking it - the time it took for the loan and registration formalities. Had to settle for an LDI though. I would suggest that in addition to going through the person who knows a dealer, you also call around the other dealers in the city pressing them for a Swift D on ready delivery or delivery within a week or two (they sometimes have vehicles which have been despatched from the factory but dont have a specific booking against them). For me, I was particular on a white one, which is why I couldnt get the VDI ABS which was ready delivery on a silver only. If you're slightly flexible on colours (2-3 instead of just 1) then your chances of getting your preferred variant improves. Drop me a PM if you would like more details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks