Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2008, 20:14   #76
BHPian

It depends on how the 1.2 engine is tuned. If the 1.3 engine was enough for the City, perhaps the lighter Jazz will get by fine on the 1.2.

Regarding the VFM segment vs cheaper sedans, one way to look at is:

If I am a value oriented buyer and want to use a car for 8 years before discarding it. I can buy a 4 L Rs car that will fall apart after 4 years and then buy another one, or opt for superior Honda/Toyota reliability that will last me 8 years, give better mileage and also have more space.

So it depends.
Old 1st October 2008, 20:22   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGP View Post
I can see a market for a hot hatch with superior performance but not one with a sluggish engine giving good FE. (I may be wrong - any data on how well the low-end Fabia is doing in the market?)
Actually Jazz has 2 engine options, 1.2 and 1.6. Not sure if we will have both coming in initially. The 1.2 engine shows 90PS as output. Thats is not bad, ideal for indian conditions, even after discounting retune and fuel conditions to bring it lower to about 82-85PS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Most people either look for a typical (economical) hatchback or rather go for a sedan if they can afford to spend a kind of price these very large hatches demand.
We see this market expanding even further. Thats the reason for cars like Jazz, i20, Punto, maybe VW Golf or Polo etc reaching us. Fabia went first and hope manufacturers price carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdgawd View Post
Unlike the Fabia, I think the Jazz has the potential to make people reconsider their previous ideas about a hatch. It screams quality.
Seriously yes. If we can get all features of a sedan in a hot hatch, why not. The Jazz is almost 4000mm long offering most features found on sedans (atleast in markets where the car currently exists).

Honda is known to be stingy in India, holding back a lot from buyers especially when they are hoping to make a savings on the excise duty. But we can expect the best in terms of Quality.

Quote:
But still majority of people are likely to consider a 3 box sedan over a large hatch, even if the later offers better value.
Thats typical Indian buyer behaviour. People feel if you buy a sedan, its means you have grown up socially. Very rarely do we use the boot of the car. As far as I remember, I have used my boot space maybe like 15 times in the last 27 months, mostly for airport trips or heavy shopping.

The Jazz will suit my needs of a quality, reliable, spacious, safe, fuel efficient hatch. Hope Honda prices it right.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 1st October 2008 at 20:24.
Old 1st October 2008, 20:30   #78
BHPian

I think 1.2L engine would be the old L series iDis engine with around 70 BHP which would be more fuel efficient and 1.4 or 1.5 can be iVtec.
Old 1st October 2008, 21:20   #79
Senior - BHPian

I think Jazz will not be cheap by any chance, Honda always price their cars higher compared to the competitors in their segments. I think Jazz will be compete with Fabia and Fusion. But if they price it lower than that, it will sell in good numbers.
Old 2nd October 2008, 00:52   #80
BHPian

Quote:
But with Jazz things will be slightly different. It will have a luggage space equal to many small sedans and addtional flexibility of folding seats. But still majority of people are likely to consider a 3 box sedan over a large hatch, even if the later offers better value.
This will change. Definitely will, over the next couple of years when practicality becomes more important - especially in the congested Indian city roads. These hatches will be loaded with features, so that you don't necessarily miss a sedan.

Regarding the price - the Jazz will be expensive like any other Honda. I hear they will start with the 1.2 iVTEC to keep prices low. I suspect the fully loaded AT will sell at around 8L OTR Bangalore. Expensive. But more VFM than a Fabia 1.4 MPI.

Last edited by CBlazer : 2nd October 2008 at 00:54.
Old 2nd October 2008, 22:34   #81
Senior - BHPian

Jazz to take over Swift hatch and likes and 'Jazz Sedan' (later) to replace NHC and then take over SX4, Fiesta and likes. Just a wild guess or an idea for Honda.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 2nd October 2008 at 22:39.
Old 2nd October 2008, 23:12   #82
Senior - BHPian

The 'Jazz Sedan' IS the current Honda City. The G3HC is a proper sedan like the OHC.
Old 3rd October 2008, 00:33   #83
Senior - BHPian

The question should be "By how much will the Jazz be overpriced?". Its a foregone conclusion that Hondas are overpriced. Still it will be a sellout.
Old 3rd October 2008, 09:29   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The question should be "By how much will the Jazz be overpriced?". Its a foregone conclusion that Hondas are overpriced. Still it will be a sellout.
Deep, I think this thread was started when Fabia was launched with a over premium price. I think my main question was will Jazz be over priced after Seeing Fabia s price?? We all know that Honda badge carries a premium. But i just wanna see if Jazz would be priced in same range. But yeah it ll still sell as its way bigger than Fabia.
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:03   #85
BANNED

Seeing the new Honda City prices i dont think so Jazz will be over prised, i am sure they are going to make hole in premium hatch(Swift, Getz, Fabia, Palio even somehow Vista) as even now i am regreating my decission of buying Swift DDiS and spending over 1.25L of accessiories better i could have bought fully loaded City as it hardly requires any thing extra may be just good set of alloys with nice tyres, seat cover's and upgrade to audio system will do and again here we go with accessiories .
But anyways my next buy will be sure a Honda.Who dont want padel shift, ABS, Airbags, iVtec and the most Honda badge on his car under 10L.
Old 8th October 2008, 15:36   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post

Honda claims a mileage of 20kpl under normal condition, and a localisation of 76% at the time of launch.
Any other Honda cars with above 70% localisation?
Old 13th October 2008, 15:20   #87
Senior - BHPian

From Honda's Feb 2k8 press release,

Quote:
The Greater Noida plant has a total land area of over 600,000 sq m (150 acres). The plant currently produces Honda City, Honda Civic and Honda Accord models, with an indigenization level of 79%, 72% and 34% respectively.
Old 13th October 2008, 16:40   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdgawd View Post
Unlike the Fabia, I think the Jazz has the potential to make people reconsider their previous ideas about a hatch. It screams quality.
And the Fabia doesn't scream quality? That's the message coming out of your comment.
Old 13th October 2008, 17:06   #89
BHPian

looking @ the trend Honda is following, I guess unlike Fabia, Honda jazz/Fit will be slightly overpriced, just keeping potential customers interested
Old 13th October 2008, 17:54   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Deep, I think this thread was started when Fabia was launched with a over premium price. I think my main question was will Jazz be over priced after Seeing Fabia s price?? We all know that Honda badge carries a premium. But i just wanna see if Jazz would be priced in same range. But yeah it ll still sell as its way bigger than Fabia.
I think your point is very valid - but there's an anomaly here. The Fabia is pricey because it has only 20% local content. Also, as far as I remember, there was a price reduction on the cards in 2009 once it would start getting manufactured at the VW Chakan Plant. (Though I don't think that's a possibility now with the price rise of commodities!)

The Honda Jazz at the onset itself will have around 70% local content, since it shares 60% of its parts with the City, which is already at ~80% local content.

So theoretically, a price of about (ex-showroom) 5.5-7 looks very realistic, with the 7 lacs version being your auto paddle shift option.

That also leaves them room to come out with a top-end sports version I think.

Well, I'm no Honda spokesman, but the facts seem to suggest a very tempting price for the Jazz - just a cut above that makes you feel its pricey, but right where you think that its a value for money and quality preposition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks