Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2008, 19:44   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
My comments in bold.
Indeed they are quite bold considering the one on the "over priced" SX4. Lots chaps think the ZXI is VFM.
Old 23rd February 2008, 19:57   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
If Honda brings the Jazz with the 1.2 L engine then wouldn't they get the excise benefit? BUT, will they pass on that benefit to us? We all know the answer to this question, don't we?
Yes amit, sadly we do know. But for the honda lover its a difficult choice...but they will still choose the honda (over the honda...as nothing else exists!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post

I think like the BCG matrix, there is a price value matrix that I studied long time back. Just have to locate it on the web
I have already lost an argument on Cows inducing global warming! What next!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

Well said bro! Consider me your new friend.
Oh with pleasure. And its only fair. I spent a weekend breaking my back driving the Jazz in the UK and I get a new friend somewhere else. Not bad for a bad Car.
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

@karan, you really needed a thread to know whether a Honda will be overpriced in India ? LOL.

Ofcourse it will be. And inspite of that, it will sell in truckloads. And they know that, which is why they price it that way in the first place.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 23rd February 2008 at 21:22.
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@karan, you really needed a thread to know whether a Honda will be overpriced in India ? LOL.

Ofcourse it will be. And inspite of that, it will sell in truckloads. And they know that, which is why they price it that way in the first place.

The main reason i had started this thread was after seeing Fabia being
overpriced and not selling much in nos. I just wanted to see people s views
about Jazz's price. BUt Jazz is surely a bigger car than Fabia. We all
know Honda will sell well , but just have to wait and see how it prices its hatchback.
Old 23rd February 2008, 22:19   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Don't most Honda owners want it to be priced higher than competition. To say they paid a premium to get the Honda badge?
Old 29th March 2008, 19:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Honda Just Launched the Jazz in Thailand:

2008 All new Honda Jazz was unveiled in Thailand — AUTOinCAR

Just for your info about Price ( as mentioned in the link ):

1.00 THB = 1.25887 INR
Thailand
Baht India Rupees
Old 29th March 2008, 21:53   #37
BHPian

The new 2008 jazz looks good. Hope Honda launches it in India soon.
Old 29th March 2008, 22:07   #38
BHPian

It s Indeed very Big car for compact segment in India with 1.5 lt Engine. and price would be definately above 6 lakh mark even for base model ( going by the Thialand prices )

It would be in league of Skoda Fabia and obviously out of reach of common man
Old 29th March 2008, 22:30   #39
BANNED

Jazz comes with 1.5L 120BHP. Is this the engine that makes it to the New City? If so imagine a fuel-efficient Honda City with 120BHP against SX4, Fiesta, Aveo, Verna, Cedia?
Old 30th March 2008, 10:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

The Indian Jazz will definitely not be a 120 BHP model. Honda will stick to its formula of good interiors and refined frugal engines ( 1.2L). The pricing of the jazz will depend on a few factors one of which will be the pricing of the New Honda City ,and the second will be the decision to discontinue the existing Honda City or keep selling it.

Not many Indians will pay a premium for a two box car. The current City exi costs around 6.5 lcs ex showroom, and the people will expect the Jazz to be around 5.5 - 6.5 lacs (what with the lower excise at 12%).

Honda cut the prices when they introduced the Current NHC and got rewarded with much higher volumes. They are currently selling as many cars as they can produce. But with the capacity expansion at Surajpur and he new plant coming up in Rajasthan, Honda would need to sell in much higher numbers to justify the additional investment and also claim a bigger slice of the Indian market.

No one is immune to the demands of a competitive marketplace, Honda included. Till now there has been very limited serious competition for Honda. Toyota has been concentrating on selling Innova's, MSIL was concentrating on making the Swift successful, Tata and Fiat were not in the same segment. With Toyota coming in with a smaller, cheaper car, Nissan all set to make its entry and the Fiat Tata combine about to launch the New Indica, Fiat GP and Linea, Honda will have to do more to be successful.

With the rupee appreciating against the US$, Hyundai India will find it more difficult to sell cars abroad and will have to give more attention to what the Indian customer wants.

A long post but there are too many factors . We have exciting days ahead of us...
Old 30th March 2008, 12:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Yup the Jazz/ Fit will come with a 1.2 l engine mostly. Maybe they ll bring the 120 bhp for the RS version ( if Honda plans to launch it). The Next Gen City might be more expensive to give room to the Jazz. Jazz should come on road around 6 l for the base version IMO.
Old 30th March 2008, 13:36   #42
BHPian

Going from precedent we can presume it will be sold at a premium but definitely not as riduculous as Skoda Fabia. Honda India marketing is very concerned about brand image and its going to be priced higher than other cars in its segment, they would rather sell 100 at a higher brand image conscious price than a 1000 at generic utility maruti/tata prices.

The question is how much longer companies like Honda/Skoda will continue to get away positioning utility vehicles as some sort of premium luxury vehicles and get away with it.
Old 30th March 2008, 16:31   #43
BHPian

Hello,

Just thought I'd be a part of this discussion, if the members don't mind.

BurningHeart,

You probably used the outgoing generation of Jazz / Fit on your motorway journey in the UK ... afaik, the new generation car has not been introduced in the UK as yet ... at least not per Honda UK's website Honda Car Experience.

All,

As regards if the car will qualifty for excise duty concessions : thus far, no version of the new Jazz / Fit has been announced with a 1.2 (or less) liter petrol engine.

The Japanese / South East Asian / American variants either use a 1.3 or 1.5 petrol.

For the official press release from Honda (JDM version), please see 2008 Honda Fit bows in Japan - Autoblog

For the official press release from Honda (USA version), please see New York 2008: 2009 Honda Fit gets in shape - Autoblog

The outgoing generation car is / was available with a 1.2 petrol ... but sadly it is MORE than 1200cc ... 1244 per Wiki (Honda Fit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). So, even if this engine were to be installed on the incoming generation, it would need to be modified to get below the 1.2 liter norm.

While modifying the engine to avail of India's excise duty benefit does not seem a difficult task for Honda, I somehow doubt that they will bother.

My "do paisa" prediction is that they will offer the 1.5 from the current NHC, to keep things simple ... and possibly introduce the 1.3 OR a new-gen down-sized 1.2 at a later time.

As regards price, all I can say is that they will probably stick to the "premium" end of the B segment hatch scale.

It will be interesting to see how they differentiate the frontal look of the New Jazz / Fit from the new NHC.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Mods : my apologies is this qualifies as a long post ... am a newbie. Please feel free to edit as you see fit.
Old 30th March 2008, 17:32   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Honda India marketing is very concerned about brand image and its going to be priced higher than other cars in its segment, they would rather sell 100 at a higher brand image conscious price than a 1000 at generic utility maruti/tata prices.
I seriously doubt that. Volumes of sales are extremely important for the bottom lines of car companies worldwide.
Old 30th March 2008, 19:40   #45
Senior - BHPian

Honda Motors is no BMW or mercedes. Sales volume are very important to them as even they realize that the extremely high profitability cannot be maintained in the long run. If they want to make more money, they will have to sell a larger number of cars and hence the increase in capacity at the existing plant and a spanking new plant near Jaipur.

Most Viewed