Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2008, 15:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

This was really a funny thread for me to read and Its infact entertaining too as i hear more about how good Fiat is...!

And Ram please do share this information with your mates who shared this wrong informtion to you!

Mods, say NO to spam threads
Old 12th February 2008, 15:31   #32
BHPian

this thread has been a good reprieve from the mediocrity of a workday!
Old 12th February 2008, 16:04   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Lets stay calm. Its easy to get confused with this sort of issue (multijet, unijet, bosch etc.,). Please give benefit of doubt to Ram.

By the way, Isn't JTD different from MJD ?
Both JTD ( Jet Turbo Diesel ) and MJD (Multijet Diesel ) are short for the actual term - MJTD or Multi Jet Turbo Diesel
Old 12th February 2008, 16:20   #34
BHPian

More food for thought. This is from wikipedia: JTD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JTD (uniJet Turbo Diesel) is Fiat Group's term for its current common rail turbodiesel engine range. The MultiJet name is used in the second generation common rail units. Most of the Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Lancia range has JTD engines. Ownership of the Fiat JTD design is shared with General Motors as part of a settlement of the failed merger between the two auto conglomerates. GM Powertrain Europe group in Turin, Italy manages their interest in these engines.
Old 12th February 2008, 16:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

oh my,i never intended to say fiats are bad and msil was great.word was spreading that the engine in swift was a fiat one.i just wanted to correct that info.maybe you guys talking of spaming might be too educated ,but i feel this forum is for all who comes here to find whats truth and whats not.so use the words correctly and please be patient enough for a reply.
this is a discussion forum and not chat room.

ram
Old 12th February 2008, 17:18   #36
BHPian

Is this true that Maruti pays some amount to Fiat on every engine it uses in Swift DDis ?
Old 12th February 2008, 18:01   #37
BHPian

A loyal hyundai buddy now batting for Maruti...otherwise the title would have been " Fiat the heart of Swift"
Old 12th February 2008, 18:15   #38

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
oh my,i never intended to say fiats are bad and msil was great.word was spreading that the engine in swift was a fiat one.

ram
there can be two ways of interpreting the same.
1.the engines are being supplied by fiat to suzuki
2.the engine is basically a fiat designed engine which is being used by suzuki under a license.
In both the cases you cant take away the fact that the swift ddis's is a marvel and the credit for that goes to Fiat.
When somebody says,that the swift has a fiat engine inside it,means that the engine was made by Fiat and not that fiat is selling the engine to suzuki.
Old 12th February 2008, 19:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtyfaction View Post
Is this true that Maruti pays some amount to Fiat on every engine it uses in Swift DDis ?
which is why i heard from a birdie that a swift diesel is contribution negative for MSIL, not so though for suzuki worldwide
Old 12th February 2008, 20:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
The popular belief was, fiat designed this engine...
And that still holds true apart from the minor 'tweaking' done by each manufacturer .
Whatst the point of this thread ?
Old 12th February 2008, 20:50   #41
Team-BHP Support

Who cares as long as more of us get to enjoy it, in our faithful brands. I think for a change its win win situation for Fiat, GM and Suzuki world wide.
Old 12th February 2008, 21:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
word was spreading that the engine in swift was a fiat one.

ram
Atleast for a change the right word was spreading out. It is common knowledge everywhere in Europe that the MJD is a Fiat designed engine. Its good that Fiat is getting its credit thanks to Maruti. Infact even Maruti/Suzuki rightly acknowledges this by way of mentioning the licensing bit with credits given where it is due.

However Fiat not been able to leverage its own trumpcard so far in India is a shame.
Old 12th February 2008, 22:00   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
there is a popular belief running arround the automotive circles that fiat is supplying engines to msil for the swift diesels.
I think this statement is untrue and no one has ever said that Fiat is / was supplying engines to Maruti Suzuki India Limited. How could Fiat do that when Fiat Powertrain India Limited wasn't established when the Swift Diesel was floated in the market? The engine is manufactured in house by Maruti at their Manesar plant under license from Fiat.

Apart from this I don't think you've got the facts right ram_Hyundai. It would help if you could ascertain your statements with some links where you got this info from. Would be a learning experience for us.
Old 12th February 2008, 22:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The engine is manufactured in house by Maruti at their Manesar plant under license from Fiat.
Under license from FIAT GM Powertrain Polska. The engine is also used in the Opel Corsa and several other vehicles. The 1.9 is used in Opels as well, and the new 1.6 and 2.4 will also feature in Fiats, Alfa-Romeos, Opels and Vauxhalls. After the entity was dissolved both companies retained intellectual property from the JV.

Last edited by Steeroid : 12th February 2008 at 22:13.
Old 12th February 2008, 22:14   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Under license from FIAT GM Powertrain Polska. The engine is also used in the Opel Corsa and several other vehicles. The 1.9 is used in Opels as well, and the new 1.6 and 2.4 will also feature in Fiats, Alfa-Romeos, Opels and Vauxhalls. After the entity was dissolved both companies retained intellectual property from the JV.
Thank you thank you .

Btw, OT we are soon getting a first drive of the Tata Indica 1.3 Multijet that would have an engine made at the Fiat-Tata Ranjangaon plant that houses Fiat Powertrain.

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th February 2008 at 22:16.

Most Viewed