Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:06   #361
BHPian

I have been told it would be less than 20 and yes it would be AWD, so no 4Hor 4l shifting as it was being told.
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:10   #362
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes, I happen to see this on 21st Somewhere on Hasan-Belur Road, I couldnt click any pics as it passed in the opposite direction. Had Amazing road presence.

I was trying to create a thread but was hesitating as i didnt have the pic,nor did i recognize it.
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:11   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
I have been told it would be less than 20 and yes it would be AWD, so no 4Hor 4l shifting as it was being told.
What ? AWD and no 4H or 4L ? I seriously hope that it does not happen
Old 24th July 2009, 02:11   #364
Senior - BHPian

The upcoming Fortuner release is the first cool move by Toyota(India) if the price quoted is right. If Mahindra can get away with charging almost a million for the "Soviet Era Contraption" like Scorpio, the Fortuner price is a steal, in my opinion!.
Old 24th July 2009, 07:10   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Bro, The terms used for the 4WD system for land cruisers, prados & Fortuner etc should be Full Time 4WD.

This is similar to the AWD systems in the Subaru Forester but it has a lockable center differential and low range.

So it is essentially a 4WD system that can be driven in AWD/Full time 4WD mode. Since there is a center differential the 4WD won't get damaged unlike the part-time 4WD sytem prevalent on most Indian SUVs including the Ford Endy. These part time systems are mean to be used only on slipperry terrains.
Old 24th July 2009, 11:39   #366
Senior - BHPian

Guys i spoke to the Shinrai toyota here yesterday and they told me the car and details would be available on the 1st and thats when booking of the car would start too. The sales lady on the phone did not even know which model is coming. Could someone confirm if the automatics are not gonna be released with the manuals, at the same time that is. i am keen on the car only if it is auto. thanks
Old 24th July 2009, 15:36   #367
Senior - BHPian

Hi Speedy I have been waiting for this one so got hold of the toyots guy managing and deciding the model mix for the Fortuner. So the bottom line is no automatic at launch, they don't think there is much of a market, therefore don't even HOPE or expect launch anytime soom (he categorically said not even 8 months) if anything happens it will probably be after a year! They have not got the auto certified by VRDE etc but he did say it takes barely 2 to 3 months even shorter to get that since manual car is certified. He says they are not at all convinced of auto volumes and keeps quoting that CRV mannuals are outselling auto something I was surprised to learn as everyone seems to be buying more top end version of evey car sold in India even the nano! I quoted confirmed endevour auto launch in sept but they still feel not worth it. I told him we can gather minimum volume still not interested I have given up hope!

I even explained a near future trend of more and more people moving to auto as our country and buying public matures he still does not buy it, I suppose it is a culture thing with Toyota they just move behind the curve all the time :( I told him we auto enthusiast have a good /realistic/objective pulse of the market he did not budge.

Quoted to him my Innova 05 buying exprience where I asked them to provide bench seat on V model they did not budge I told the showroom market will demand this option and it realy happened a year later V's were offered with bench. I thought he would accept by skill to spot trends I apparently did not impress him!

I am tired now feel like buying a nice sedan!

Last edited by canonball : 24th July 2009 at 15:45.
Old 24th July 2009, 18:35   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Hi Speedy I have been waiting for this one so got hold of the toyots guy managing and deciding the model mix for the Fortuner. So the bottom line is no automatic at launch, they don't think there is much of a market, therefore don't even HOPE or expect launch anytime soom (he categorically said not even 8 months) if anything happens it will probably be after a year!
He says they are not at all convinced of auto volumes and keeps quoting that CRV mannuals are outselling auto something I was surprised to learn as everyone seems to be buying more top end version of evey car sold in India even the nano! I quoted confirmed endevour auto launch in sept but they still feel not worth it. I told him we can gather minimum volume still not interested I have given up hope!
What this says to me is that the auto+price equation for the Fortuner is not favorable. Only extremely myopic manufacturers can believe there is no market for ATs in India. And I don't believe that Toyota is one of them, otherwise why would they sell the Corolla with an auto box from day one?
I think the logic here puts paid to any hope of the Fortuner being cheap i.e. in the vicinity of 17L.
My reasonig doesn't stand for the Innova though. Why can't they sell it with an AT box? Every one who buys it for personal use would appreciate the option and it'll cost the same or less than the Altis AT.
Old 24th July 2009, 18:44   #369
BHPian

From what I've heard, the company is manufacturing very few vehicles this year and has asked dealerships to stop taking in bookings. Dealers are looking at being allotted only 3 - 4 vehicles due to the already high demand.
Old 25th July 2009, 11:03   #370
BHPian

Just got this from a Toyota dealer here in Delhi. (Dunno how true is this) They say fortuner will be launched by 20'th of August. Priced between 16 to 18 lacs with 3 variants & no auto!

I had gone to book one but they are already overbooked, mostly by car financiers.
Old 26th July 2009, 22:49   #371
BHPian

Speculatios - thy name is Indian market. Jitne munh utnee batein... do not know wht the dealer told me holds true or not. I may now opt for manual :( Fortuner - Black!
Old 27th July 2009, 16:24   #372
BHPian

just got another call from the dealer!
Now he says there will be just one variant with 3.0 engine AWD, manual transmission only. And all the colors that are available in the Innova.

I am considering booking one in white but would have loved it if it came in pearl white color.
Price expected 18- 18.5 lacs ex showroom Delhi.
Old 27th July 2009, 17:19   #373
BHPian

Called Nandi Toyota here : Only 3.0litre manual , expected between 20- 24 on road in Bangalore , August 24th is the launch date .
Old 27th July 2009, 19:02   #374
Senior - BHPian

AWD would means 4WD with transfer case and lever in cabin to shift. Recall reading earlier thread with some saying 2WD and 4WD & AWD all being offered as options and combinations, from what I have gathered in other markets fortuner comes with 4WD and that tranfer case and lever I mentioned above.
Old 28th July 2009, 11:00   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
AWD would means 4WD with transfer case and lever in cabin to shift. Recall reading earlier thread with some saying 2WD and 4WD & AWD all being offered as options and combinations, from what I have gathered in other markets fortuner comes with 4WD and that tranfer case and lever I mentioned above.
In Thailand it comes as AWD. Technically how does wheel work in AWD as compared to 4WD ? Isnt both the same ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks