Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 16:25   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
They have improved the suspension as its not a SUV but it is by no means comparable with a Pajero for off-roading!
Dont be too sure of the highlighted section of the statement. It is a very capable vehicle, and in any case the Pajero's credentials are highly overstated in India. Everyone associates it with the Paris-Dakar winner for some strange reason, even though the commercial Pajero is more schoolbus than offroader.
Old 24th March 2009, 16:45   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
Quite frankly speaking this car is 3 years too late. The 'NEW' fortuner is simply a face-lift with minor changes to grill/lights/etc. It is essentially a shared platform with the Innova &HiLux (pick-up truck) so one can compare for size accordingly. They have improved the suspension as its not a SUV but it is by no means comparable with a Pajero for off-roading!
[/IMG]Wishful thinking...what else!
Can you explain why it will not be as good as a Pajero? Is it because Pajero has been around longer? The direct competion for this vehicle in India is the Pajero 2.8 and the Ford Endy Thunder. Captiva and CRV are softroaders and those in the market for Softroaders should not consider any of the body on frame SUV as the softroader offer much better handling and comfort on the road..
Old 24th March 2009, 20:01   #93
Senior - BHPian

by the looks of it,its not the facelifted model with the xenons and the LC200 typish grill.
why toyota? To cut costs? or this is just a test vehicle.
Old 24th March 2009, 22:31   #94
BHPian

why waste a facelifted model for testing when they can dispense an older version for such things. Its not as if the newer model is mechanically better or something. Being auto enthusiasts, sometimes we tend to over observe.

Last edited by Comrade : 24th March 2009 at 22:36.
Old 25th March 2009, 13:03   #95
Senior - BHPian

Comrad the reason folks get concerned and chat in such details because if you care to look at other threads all to be launched cars testing have been current models unlike the fortuner here. So Toyota tests with older model people do get concerned as they did introduce Qualis in non updated look when it was available in Indonesia and elsewhere in 1998/99 and finally got new look into India in 2000 much later!!

The 17 inch wheels are a giveaway as the prefacelifted car had 16 inhers so safe to say it will be facelifted.
Old 25th March 2009, 13:32   #96
Senior - BHPian

Finally we see Fortuner in India. But all chances are this going above 20lakhs if not 25 lakhs on-road. So now on I'll be doing less of T-bhp and investing more time to make and collect money for it. :(
Old 25th March 2009, 14:58   #97
Senior - BHPian

I have been told it will be heavily localised and not a CBU so prices should be same as captivaor between endevour and captiva!
Old 26th March 2009, 00:56   #98
Senior - BHPian

Finally something that i could trade in my corolla with at the toyota dealer. Hope it comes around at an attractive price.
Old 26th March 2009, 01:28   #99
BHPian

i drove the current gen fortuner for a day in Singapore this year. Well the car is unbelievable. It's better than the Rav4, more like the 4Runner really. It's huge, bigger than the CRV or the Outlander. And who really is out there to buy one of these things to go offroading anyway?

1 in a million [At least in India!] So it's futile arguing for or against it's skills in that department. What is important is that it's really comfortable. The one I drove was a 2.7V, that's a petrol engine 4X4 variant. And she's quick and relatively agile, but handling not as good as a CRV, but she's got style!
Old 26th March 2009, 06:06   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Can you explain why it will not be as good as a Pajero? Is it because Pajero has been around longer? The direct competion for this vehicle in India is the Pajero 2.8 and the Ford Endy Thunder. Captiva and CRV are softroaders and those in the market for Softroaders should not consider any of the body on frame SUV as the softroader offer much better handling and comfort on the road..
4x4addict, I would like to know a little more here if you can throw some more light. because I also believed that Pajero would be still a better offroader because it came with all that offroading tech like differential lock and all.. and I thought that endy's and fortuner do not come with those stuff. I dont know much about offroading so dont know the right terms and their use either.. but am definately very much interested and would like to know more about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
i drove the current gen fortuner for a day in Singapore this year. Well the car is unbelievable. It's better than the Rav4, more like the 4Runner really. It's huge, bigger than the CRV or the Outlander. And who really is out there to buy one of these things to go offroading anyway?

1 in a million [At least in India!] So it's futile arguing for or against it's skills in that department. What is important is that it's really comfortable. The one I drove was a 2.7V, that's a petrol engine 4X4 variant. And she's quick and relatively agile, but handling not as good as a CRV, but she's got style!
It feels good to know that I am 1 in a million! as I would certainly take this baby offroad if i buy one. heck.. any offroad vehicle I ever buy will be used for offroading also along with general use. irrespective of its cost. the people who buy such cars generally love offroading.. even here in India! though they dont get much chance for any serious offroading. but you see.. even if we drive on our city (off)road, its not bad. as our roads also give us good oppurtunity with so many potholes and bumps and broken termac and even craters! we call it city-offroading!
Old 26th March 2009, 16:57   #101

Great news that the Fortuner is finally making it to our shores. Definitely one of the most eagerly awaited cars in the Indian market for the last 3 years.

If Toyota plans on selling 5000 units per year, then they really need to price it in the 15-18 price bracket. Inspite of the Toyota brand name, I doubt they will be able to move 5000 Fortuners if it is priced 20+.
Old 26th March 2009, 20:45   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
4x4addict, I would like to know a little more here if you can throw some more light. because I also believed that Pajero would be still a better offroader because it came with all that offroading tech like differential lock and all..
In terms of offroad specifications, Pajero and Fortuner are very similar. Both have IFS up front and solid axles with coil spings in the back. Both have all wheel drive systems with lockable center differtials. Both have over 200mm ground clearance. The Fortuner actually has a much more powerful engine. In my view, it is silly to state that the Pajero will be more capable than Fortuner unless you have experience or data that has pitted them against each other. Given that the off-road credintials are equal with the Forutner having an edge on engine power, I would conclude that the Fortuner can meet any off-road challenge the pajero can meet.
Old 26th March 2009, 23:11   #103
Senior - BHPian

i just got my camry serviced today.
The advisor definately confirmed the fortuner coming this year dint know exact date.
he told me it will cost 18 lakhs (mostly ex showroom).But the thing that got me confused that he was 90% sure the car was coming with the innova's engine the 2.5 Diesel and also a petrol variant.I obviously dint belive him about the innova engine part.
Then i got wondering they are going to release a prado diesel which will most probably be a 3.0 D4D. dont think both the cars will share the same heart.
Old 27th March 2009, 02:04   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe they might do a similar strategy like Ford. Offer the cheaper 2WD version with the 2.5 liter engine and the 4WD version with the 3.0 D4D.

Offering the 2.5 deisel would probably be more cost effective since they already produce the engine for the Innova.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 27th March 2009 at 02:06.
Old 27th March 2009, 08:55   #105
Senior - BHPian

Good job with the piox. It looks very big; coz of the high ground clearance(?). And this will be a 7 seater right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post

Then i got wondering they are going to release a prado diesel which will most probably be a 3.0 D4D. dont think both the cars will share the same heart.
They can have two versions by detuning it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks