Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 10:18   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Spotted and photographed a minimally masked Toyota Fortuner today (23rd March) on Hosur Road in Bangalore . My wife is still amazed that she actually hung halfway out of her window to do that
Good work there! To you and your better half! And yes, I think it looks bigger than its prospective competitors, especially see it maintaining its presence beside the Volvo bus
Old 27th March 2009, 13:44   #107
BHPian

A sigh of relief for me and my father as we have been waiting for this Muscle machine from past 3 yrs!

Come-on Toyota, Brisk your pace
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:54   #108
Senior - BHPian

Amazing find with the pics there.

Cant wait to see this car on the road.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:34   #109
Senior - BHPian

gr8 find, thanks for sharing the pics here. Any more info of its specs details i know ACI had shared its possible engines but any more info regarding it.
Old 8th April 2009, 22:02   #110
BHPian

TOYOTA FORTUNER spotted!!!

Partially masked TOYOTA FORTUNER Spotted on Hosur road, near silk board junction, Bengaluru...Looks real MASSIVE!!!

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-sp-2.jpg

Spotted Toyota Fortuner. PICS on Pg. 5 & 19. EDIT : Launch on 24th August!-sp.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 9th April 2009 at 00:33. Reason: Thread merged with existing. Please search before posting.
Old 9th April 2009, 09:52   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain_in_U View Post
Partially masked TOYOTA FORTUNER Spotted on Hosur road, near silk board junction, Bengaluru...Looks real MASSIVE!!!

Amazing Find there.. Good job.

Toyota, what are the dates for launch ??

Edit: Saw the dates of launch in another thread, its Sept 09. Price - 20 L too costly

Last edited by tanwaramit : 9th April 2009 at 09:57.
Old 9th April 2009, 10:20   #112
BHPian

thank the good lord that it finally seems like toyota will launch the ruddy fortuner in india.

having seen loads of these in dubai, i have to admit i am a little off put by the overtly tall stance of the vehicle... slightly lower profile tyres and bigger wheels will definitely make it a better looking ride. also the front overhang is a little 'funny' for lack of a better word to describe it...

you'll understand what i mean when it is seen in the flesh.
Old 9th April 2009, 10:31   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
overtly tall stance of the vehicle...
+1 to that, even I think the stance is too high!

20L, man thats costly, I guess this is supposed to be a competition for the outlander.
Old 9th April 2009, 17:01   #114
Senior - BHPian

As per Hindu News today, the launch is in Sep 09.
In picture it looks much bigger than any SUV in India - below 20L.

Last edited by agbenny : 9th April 2009 at 17:02.
Old 9th April 2009, 17:57   #115

Sept 2009 launch

Toyota to launch Fortuner in India by Sept
BS Reporter / Mumbai April 08, 2009, 15:17 IST

Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM) said today that it would introduce the Fortuner model, a sports utility vehicle (SUV) in India by September 2009, however, its exact pricing details were not shared.

The SUV will have a 3-litre advanced common-rail diesel engine and will also feature full-time four-wheel drive. The vehicle will be targeted primarily at the urban luxury SUV customer.
"The Fortuner is an important addition to our product line-up in India and we are currently in the process of finalizing details for the launch. We are still working out the price details of the Fortuner, taking into account variations in exchange rates, but it expected to be around at Rs 20 lakh,” said Sandeep Singh, deputy managing director (marketing), Toyota Kirloskar Motor.
The Fortuner will be brought to India as a knocked down unit and will be assembled at TKM’s plant in Bidadi, near Bangalore.
Old 9th April 2009, 20:45   #116
Senior - BHPian

it does not look like the facelifted model!!
the facelifted model has xenons .
Old 9th April 2009, 22:33   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
it does not look like the facelifted model!!
the facelifted model has xenons .
Xenons may have been omitted to lower costs/increase profit margins. According to the Toyota person it is going to be made in Thailand and imported as CBU. Doesn't make sense to have the factory make two different versions given the limited number they will import into India. They may make small changes like omitting the Xenon etc. Either way the new version had only a few cosmetic modifications. It wasn't a major upgrade.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 9th April 2009 at 22:35.
Old 10th April 2009, 02:42   #118
Senior - BHPian

The problem with the Fortuner is that its aldready half a decade old internationally. There is no arguing that this vehicle especially being a Toyota has its strong points but will definitely loose its sheen in one to two years and might be due for replacement by Toyota, what will customers who will pay in the range of 15 lacs feel when a car thats just been a year or two in the market be replaced.
Not to forget the Scorpio and the Safari are due replacements in the near future, One has to wait and see how these Indian models will stack up to the Japanese stalwart, but VFM they are definitely going to be.
Old 10th April 2009, 06:37   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The problem with the Fortuner is that its aldready half a decade old internationally. There is no arguing that this vehicle especially being a Toyota has its strong points but will definitely loose its sheen in one to two years and might be due for replacement by Toyota, what will customers who will pay in the range of 15 lacs feel when a car thats just been a year or two in the market be replaced.
Not to forget the Scorpio and the Safari are due replacements in the near future, One has to wait and see how these Indian models will stack up to the Japanese stalwart, but VFM they are definitely going to be.
From a pricing an product perspective guess which vehicles are the closest? The Endy and the Pajero 2.8. Both are selling in good numbers (relative for the 20 lakh price bracket). If people have been paying about 20 lakhs OTR for Pajero 2.8 and Endy there is no reason why they won't buy a Toyota product that is in many ways better than these two. If the price it at 20 lakhs I doubt it will eat into sales of Scorpio and Safari but if they start pricing it at about 15 to 16 lakhs it may eat up some market share from the higher end variants of the Scorpio/Safari.

Manufacturers have been successfull brining many dated versions into the Indian market and succeeding.
Old 10th April 2009, 10:17   #120
BHPian

I agree with you 4X4 addict.Toyota has huge chance of succeeding with the Fotuner given the menatlity of Indian public.They would certainly rush to the showrooms to buy the Fortuner.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed