Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2008, 17:33   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Toyota is slow, very slow in launching a product, but when they do launch it, they ensure every other car maker will run for cover.
I agree and if you have the patience their products are worth waiting for, I had narrowed down to choosing between the Endeavour Thunder 3.0 or the Pajero SFX 2.8, but after using the Fortuner for day, I am personally going to hold on to my current ride until Toyota launches the Fortuner.
Old 18th June 2008, 21:17   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I agree and if you have the patience their products are worth waiting for, I had narrowed down to choosing between the Endeavour Thunder 3.0 or the Pajero SFX 2.8, but after using the Fortuner for day, I am personally going to hold on to my current ride until Toyota launches the Fortuner.
We have been hearing rumors of Fortuner for last three years and going by that, it will probably be another three before Fortuner is launched. So, you are probably better off buying an Endy/Pajero and enjoy it for a few years.
Old 18th June 2008, 21:28   #48
BHPian

Would be better off buying a Pajero or a Endavour, don't expect toyota to bring it in any time soon, but when it's launched it's going to do some serious butt kicking.
Old 24th June 2008, 13:54   #49
DRC
BHPian

I am one of those who have been perpetually waiting for a Fortuner. Now that the hopes are fading, I am considering Endy. People say it has a bumpy ride. Is this car seriously bumpy or a little bumpy?
I could not be judgemental with my short test drive experience. Any Endy owners would like to comment!
Old 24th June 2008, 14:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
I am one of those who have been perpetually waiting for a Fortuner. Now that the hopes are fading, I am considering Endy. People say it has a bumpy ride. Is this car seriously bumpy or a little bumpy?
I could not be judgemental with my short test drive experience. Any Endy owners would like to comment!
I had a short test drive of Endy and at that time, I found the ride OK and then I had a long (probably 30 km long) test drive. It is seriously middle-seat-occupants-hit-the-roof bumpy. I recommend you go over a few speed breakers and drive on bad roads to see the (bad) quality of ride.
Old 20th October 2008, 23:47   #51
BANNED

Allthough I donot want to say that Toyota is Like Fiat in India. But I have been hearing about the launches of Fortuner and Linea as State of the art , Value for Money vehicles since ages . Dont you think that by the time they launch them in India , they would quite outdated models .
Old 21st October 2008, 05:47   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
Dont you think that by the time they launch them in India , they would quite outdated models .
Remember the monstrosity called the Qualis. It was dug up from a grave in Thailand and launched in India and people were upset when they stopped selling it.
Old 21st October 2008, 06:35   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
It was dug up from a grave in Thailand and launched in India and people were upset when they stopped selling it.
It was thrashed badly by the media as well. It was called all the dubious names like a hearse van and what not!
Still it became a big revolution in our country.

Proves the fact that Toyota makes the best practical, reliable and value for money vehicles.

People were equally (a bit less?) negative about the Innova too. But again, it was proved wrong.

Let's wait for the Fortuner. I'm sure Toyota has something good in store for us this time too.
Old 21st October 2008, 08:47   #54
BHPian

There is a fortuner on display in a shopping mall in bangalore
Old 21st October 2008, 09:15   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
I drove the non 3.0 one a few years back, unless things have changed in the suspension area it should be about the same regarding ride quality.

(I don't think it has unibody construction because it drives just like a body on ladder frame SUV which most true offroading, rugged SUV's are based on. If you are looking for a car like ride, go for the crossovers or car based ones like the CR-V, Captiva or Outlander.)

Getting back to yoru question - my honest opinion is that it IS bumpy as all body on ladder frame rigs are. It is seriously bumpy if the roads have deep potholes - like the Tavera but UNLIKE the Tavera and due to the large tires on the Endy it does a decent job of soaking small potholes and imperfections.

One important thing to keep in mind is that eventhough it is a pumpy ride, you don't hear rattles like in the scorpio and safari where you'd feel like the car was about to fall apart. It is very quiet compared to those two atleast.

What I mean to say is that it feels solid eventhough you feel the deep potholes.

You MUST test drive one, it will answer all your questions and put your doubts to rest (for good or bad).

Having said all that, let me tell you that the endy I drove wasn't mine so I was able to drive it like I stole it (I know I am a jerk) and it was FUN.

The thing hops like a frog over large bumps and lands softly and in-control and though you'd think you just broke something - NOPE - no sweat!. Between me and my friend who owned it we drove the heck out of it and the thing was still going! He sold it jsut a few months ago and bought the 3.0.

Around were my home is in Punjab, the roads are terrible. I would often find better ride quality just avoiding the paved road period, I used to stick to the side dirt roads and have a blast.

I also am getting tired waiting for the fortuner and am currently considering Endy 3.0 Thunder and I might just get it if I am to swayed by the Captiva. The Outlander is out of consideration due to the lack of 3rd row.

I hope my rambling actually contributed in some way.
Old 21st October 2008, 09:57   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrub View Post
There is a fortuner on display in a shopping mall in bangalore
Which shopping mall is that?Would like to see the fortuner.
Old 21st October 2008, 10:03   #57
BHPian

So the question is when is it launching in India?
Old 21st October 2008, 10:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable rock View Post
Which shopping mall is that?Would like to see the fortuner.
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
So the question is when is it launching in India?
If one believes the latest ACI, Soon! However, as far as Fortuner is concerned, ACI has been off the mark for last 4 years so it is very hard to bring oneself to believe that Fortuner will be launched. If it actually does, I will be standing in line along with hordes of others to buy it.
Old 21st October 2008, 10:18   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
It was thrashed badly by the media as well. It was called all the dubious names like a hearse van and what not!
Still it became a big revolution in our country.
what exactly did it revolutionize ?

Singlehandedly it increased the net ugliness on the roads. Yes it was utilitarian but so is a bread box.
Old 21st October 2008, 10:31   #60
BHPian

Hey Guys ..

Sorry for the mistake ...

Its outlander, A big mistake, Sorry for tempting you all. How come I didn't notice the difference.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed